Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a classic rock head

la bam

Hi all,

I'm hoping to start in a new band soon - a 70s rock tribute. Zep etc.

Previous band was a queen tribute, which in the end I was very happy with my sound, but it kind of had to cover all bases from hard rock, to pop, to gospel, to ballads to funk, so it was a nice Ampeg and p bass core sound. I used a helix stomp and a quilter bb800 to get that sound. There were quite a few drop timings too, so the stomp had to be there.

However, in the new band I'm hoping we can let rip a bit old school style and I can manage with a classic rock sound.

Bass will be an active sire v7 jazz.

So, any stand alone amp recommendations for that classic 70s rock sound? Where i can set it and it just covers everything. (I can make changes on the bass if need be) I'd love some heft (will also help fill out the sound) and because of that I'm not really thinking class d (although my current set up does it quite well).

Cab will be my favourite - laney nexus n410.

Edited by la bam

6 minutes ago, la bam said:

Any thoughts on the Ashdown CTM300?

I reckon that would be perfect, or if you don’t want the weight of the CTM then an ABM of some sort would work well.

I’m doing the same sort of thing at present and the rehearsal rooms SVT 450 ( the non valve one that looks like a valve amp) works really well for this material.

• Like 1

Cheers Lozz,

I've had the amb evo iv - unfortunately made a bad decision and sold it about 18 months ago, keeping a markbass instead.

I did like it, and I'd happily use one, but not enough to justify buying another (if that makes sense). Although, the prices new are fantastic. In fairness the band i was in just didnt practice so i never had time to play with the eq and sound - it was just turn up, 10 second sound check and wait until we went on.

I've got my mini rig sorted - quilted bb800 and helix stomp - but would love an all singing rig.

It's that kind of music where a messy, loose, slightly overdriven sound somehow sounds clean, tight and very rich in the mix.

My GK400RB-II would possibly be the ticket lol .. esp paired with my Bagend 212 .. shameless sales bump lol .. only really selling as band split / possible retirement 

GK gets that ‘infamous’ GK growl 

Bagend is great tho a bit heavy at 35kg

1 hour ago, la bam said:

It's that kind of music where a messy, loose, slightly overdriven sound somehow sounds clean, tight and very rich in the mix.

Yeah that’s why I mentioned the Ampeg 450 as well - they don’t seem to get much good said about them but I’ve found it really works really well for the 70s classic rock.

Edited by Lozz196

If you've still got your Quilter, that should provide the oomph you need. I'd check out pedals and preamps. Something with a valve or two in it would probably do the trick for a classic rock sound. If not, a used Ashdown would be a safe, modestly priced bet. If your budget is less constrained, see suggestions above. As your like your Laney cab and if you have money to spend, the big Nexus valve head is a formidable beast.

Sansamp para driver in front of the Quilter would be brilliant, but then you've already got the stomp so why bother? Anyway, that's not the question you asked!

Handbox sounds like the best bet for this?

18 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

As your like your Laney cab and if you have money to spend, the big Nexus valve head is a formidable beast.

I had an immaculate laney nexus valve head. Loved it. Stupidly sold it as the band where doing loads of shared gigs on stages where you had to carry your gear upstairs etc so it became impractical. Great amps. The only amp ever where at a sound check the barmaid came over before we'd even done a song and said she loved that tone!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

Sansamp para driver in front of the Quilter would be brilliant, but then you've already got the stomp so why bother? Anyway, that's not the question you asked!

Handbox sounds like the best bet for this?

Cheers. I love the stomp and quilter combo and its staying. However, I sold my back up amp when I left the other band, so .. .  Illogically thinking I'm gonna need another amp anyway, so I can either waste £300 on a second hand spare that I've no real interest in or look for something completely different.

If it helps, with the new band only having one guitarist and one vocalist, Id love that valve warmth that encompasses all the band and is just kind of there in addition to all the notes. The indescribable thing that makes the entire band sound warmer.

Ampeg SVT all day long, although not sure of your cab specs so may not be suitable. If it’s a 4 ohm job then happy days. Failing that as others have said then some sort of pedal which can run into your Quilter . Sansamp stuff is great, maybe the Tech 21 VT Bass Driver. 

I’ve been playing this type of stuff for 40+ years, from pubs to much bigger stages. I think that you can overthink how to approach this, so keep it simple and get a valve or hybrid amp (you’re probably right to avoid Class D amps) and run the gain relatively high and use the master just to control the volume.

Ideally you would want an SVT or a Mesa Boogie or Aguilar 750 or similar. Assuming that you don’t want to spend that much, then pick up a secondhand Hartke 3500 or something like that (quite a lot of pros playing this type of music use Hartke as they are loud, reliable and work). I’m not a big fan of Ashdown, but a lot of people are, and I’m sure that one of their hybrid heads will be fine for what you want.

Edited by peteb

13 hours ago, la bam said:

I had an immaculate laney nexus valve head. Loved it. Stupidly sold it as the band where doing loads of shared gigs on stages where you had to carry your gear upstairs etc so it became impractical. Great amps. The only amp ever where at a sound check the barmaid came over before we'd even done a song and said she loved that tone!

If someone who probably doesn't know or care much about bass amps/tone says that, it's highly significant.  I think you may have answered your own question there. If you want that valve magic, can afford it and can live with the weight (little or no worse than the SVTs or big Mesas others recommend, after all), has to be worth another look.

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

Well, I'm moved a few things on, and reshuffled a good few things and managed to snare an ashdown ctm300 for a fantastic deal.

Hopefully itll give me everything I need for this type of role.

Yes, yes it will. Good call.

I gig classic rock covers and from my experience the 3 amps that have the right core tone so you can just set everything at 12 o'clock and plug and play (as I do) are: Eden WT550 Traveler (valve pre); GK MB800 Fusion (also valve pre); Mesa Subway D800+.  The first of those has the edge tone-wise and is only up for sale on here as it's bigger and heavier than the other 2.  I'm sure that other heads I haven't tried will work for you too.

Eden WT550 Traveler

Edited by scrumpymike

4 hours ago, la bam said:

Well, I'm moved a few things on, and reshuffled a good few things and managed to snare an ashdown ctm300 for a fantastic deal.

Hopefully itll give me everything I need for this type of role.

Best of luck with it. I love my CTM300 and reckon it will work perfectly for what you want. It has a pretty 'baked in' tone, but by god is it a good one.

Play with the pushbuttons, particularly the Shift and Bright buttons, to get a bit of sculpting going on. I have seen a few posts around recently saying to crank the Bass, Mid and Treble controls and then just uses the pushbuttons to suit the room. I haven't given it a go as my ABM 600 is my go to for gigs.

If you want bag loads of clean volume, crank the master volume all the way up and set the output with the gain control. If you want a bit more dirt, balance the two.

Enjoy it!

What about the SansAmp VT500 head?

Juicy SVT sounds on tap, and a fraction of the weight.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tech_21_bass_vt_500.htm

There's always the Ampeg PF500 as well.

Or...

Get a power amp and a Pre-amp pedal, like a SansAmp BDDI or VT Bass.

If you want a bit of flexibility, maybe look at the Helix Stomp.

EDIT:

Just spotted in the For Sale section: a PF500

Edited by Skybone