Why become a member? ×

Microphones for Recording

bassist_lewis

Not sure if this is the right place for this (mods able to move it?) I want to do some recording while in lockdown (and afterwards). I've got a great amp (Mesa Boogie D-800) and sweet af DI box (Rupert Neve RNDI), so I'd like to add some more tonal options by getting a mic to record the cab. What mics have people used for this?Ideally something under £150.

If you just want something basic and effective then there’s the good old SM57. Personally I have never really liked them or SM58’s but I am in the minority.

I have had the best results using more bass orientated mics, have a look at the Sennheiser e602 it the Sure Beta 52a or other more bass specific mic.

If you are going to be recording with both the mic and the DI you will need some method, either hardware or software, or ensuring that both signals are properly phase-aligned.

To get the best out of the mic'd sound you'll also need a decent acoustic space to record you rig in. Even with close-mic'ing the environment will have an influence on the sound.

Don't use a kick drum mic for you bass rig. They have an EQ hump designed to enhance the typical kick drum sound, which you will have to EQ out in order to get some separation between the bass guitar and the kick drum.

Personally if I wasn't happy with the sound I was getting from the DI, I would be looking at buying some plug-ins rather than a mic. The only advantage a mic will have, is that the right one could be used to record other instruments as well.

Do you have other microphones already and are looking for something specifically for bass, or would this be your first mic?

If it's the latter I'd be inclined to get a large diaphragm condenser first (ideally one with a pad switch,) as it's a very versatile type of microphone.  This is assuming you are recording your cab at 'home' volume levels and are going to have a DI signal to blend it with.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Don't use a kick drum mic for you bass rig. They have an EQ hump designed to enhance the typical kick drum sound, which you will have to EQ out in order to get some separation between the bass guitar and the kick drum.

This is very good advice. You don't want to be eq-ing out the hump. As others suggest, I'd look at general purpose large diaphragm condensers from Rode, SE and AT at your budget.

Should have noted that the dedicated bass instrument type mics are almost always used and mixed in with a DI from an amp or good preamp and not used alone. Seeing as you said you had a host of kit I assumed you would be doing that anyway.

They are good for capturing those great lows and supercardioid are also good for blocking out other noise if you aren’t in a treated room.