Why become a member? Ɨ

Developing Fluency - Joy Joy/Kinga Glyk

Stub Mandrel

OK, my lockdown project has become Kinga Glyk's phenomenal 'Joy Joy'. I'm working on eveything up to the end of the first chorus (I may be skipping the odd muted note šŸ™‚ ). I can play the funky riff on the intro and the chorus which is all doubled sixteenth notes. In between is an extended noodle and although I can play most of it up to speed now, to me I sound sound like I'me just trying to pile the notes in as fast as I can and it lacks the 'bubbling' fluency of the original. I don't expect to sound half as good but I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to approach a challenge like this?Ā  In particularĀ  is it likely that a lot fo it is played using hammer ons rather than picked, as these seem to sound closer to the original to me?

Ā 

• Like 2

Nice, I enjoyed that!

Iā€™dĀ say the bubbling bassline is going to come when you get confident playing at that speed. Itā€™ll just be a case of building up fluency. I had the same with Sir Duke, just sounded like note soup until Iā€™d become confident enough with the riff to then enjoy it.

To me it sounds like sheā€™s using a pick, given the attack sheā€™s getting on there too.

The fills are definitely hammer ons and pull offs. I guess itā€™s to get it to sound quite machine-like and automated.Ā 

The whole track is based around simple pentatonic, so practice those and enjoy! Thereā€™s definitely a Jaco vibe going on here too, with Teen Town being the closest I can think of. Some of the fills are certainly ā€˜inspiredā€™ by that bassline.

Iā€™d also say that most of this stuff beyond the riff (the fills particularly) is likely to be improvised so getting the groove and feel is more important than being able to nail every fill accurately. Perhaps thatā€™s just me.

Ā 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

because your chops are not there yet

That's why I chose it. I wanted something I can't play but is hopefully within my potential!

Ā 

Well I now have plenty of time....

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

To me it sounds like sheā€™s using a pick, given the attack sheā€™s getting on there too.

Definitely fingerstyle, I've seen a live performance on YT.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Definitely fingerstyle, I've seen a live performance on YT.

Intereting. Sounds like a pick to me or sheā€™s getting a lot of attack out of here fingers! Itā€™s an interesting track, love the octave runs.

Making progress... I can now play all of the first two pages in sequence, and am even getting most of the muted notes (actually I dont think many of the muted notes are muted at all, just hammered on).

Downside is that is it sounds like a sequence of separate chunks and the timing suffers, so present task is working on sections in pairs or small groups trying to develop smooth transitions.

Thus is definitely the hardest thing I've evr tried to learn.

Big plus is it will set me up for Teen Town and Rhythm Stick!

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much got it now, at least the chorus, main riff and the first bass solo.

Not quite ready to start the mountain of the second solo, but I play it every day and can pretty much do it right on the second attempt!

Ha! Tried just now and I actually played it too fast šŸ¤£

Edited by Stub Mandrel