Why become a member? ×

Hello

Richard Jinman

Hi, signed up because I’m locked down in Somerset (worse places to be) and started playing an old, pretty crappy bass I had lying around. I’ve played guitar and drums for years (not well, but enthusiastically) and I’d like to start to learn bass. I’ve been drooling over some of the basses for sale here, but a £1000 + instrument isn’t realistic at the moment. I’ve tried P basses and prefer Jazz neck and sound. Love the retro look too. I play with my fingers not a pick and although I’d like to say what kind of music I’d like to play it’s a bit early to say except it won’t be metal or fusion (not that I’m capable of playing that). Anyway, any tips for a bass I’ll want to pick up everytime I look at it? That is easy to play? I could go to about £600, but I’m baffled by the vast array of Fenders new and old (MIM vs MIJ vs squier vs etc etc). Someone recommended a G&L L2000 tribute as a versatile,  decent quality bass. Also like the look of sandberg Electra, but reviews seem to suggest the quality is iffy. Sorry if this sounds a bit gormless, but as I mentioned I’m a newbie. Cheers, Richard

• Like 2

Welcome.... I started playing a P and realised I like a jazz neck to and the sound! There’s plenty of variations on necks as you find out .... P/j basses are also an option, best of both worlds with the sound. 
I know in the current climate it’s hard, but if you can try before you buy I’d recommend it, just to make sure you like the instrument. There’s certainly plenty of advice on here and plenty of gear to drool over.....hold onto your wallet! 👍🏻

Hi Richard,

I borrowed a G&L 2000 tribute from a friend for a month or two. The one I had was very well built, no obvious defects due to Far Eastern quality control.  It was solid too, the bridge on these things is great.

Tone wise, you have a lot of options, with two humbuckers and lots of alternative switching options, series, parallel etc.  It has been called the Swiss army knife of basses.

If you only ever want one bass its a great option as it is very versatile but if you want a particular sound from a bass, like a Precision, Jazz or Stingray then you need to buy the bass that produces that sound.

A cheaper option you might consider is the G&L (tribute) kiloton, which is the single humbucker version, I'm seeing deals on them online.