Why become a member? ×

Mandolin Frets

shug

I'm putting together another 'bitsa' P-Bass and I've got a nice walnut neck that's been slotted but not fretted. Any of you smart guys ever used mandolin fretwire, a la Leland?

Would it fit into regular sized fret slots, d'yer think? I'm probably going to tune it BEAD if that makes any difference, though I don't suppose it does.

I'd be dead grateful for any input at all on this.

Stay well, y'all

Shug

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

IMO the size of the frets doesn't affect the tone or intonation.

Certainly not for the intonation, but please stop cross reading as I wrote that it will help for playing fretless. Nothing else. 😉

17 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Certainly not for the intonation, but please stop cross reading as I wrote that it will help for playing fretless. Nothing else. 😉

I wasn't referring to your post, so I'm not sure what you object to. IMO means just that.

• Thanks 1

the main thing to check is the width of the tang of the fretwire, i think that most frets are all pretty much the same in the width of the tang, might be worth checking that the slots are deep enough but apart from that the profile  of the fretwire are more of a personal preference. one of my favorite basses has almost completely worn out frets, it's pretty much fretless but with a set of flats it's one of the best sounding basses i own (i just wish it didn't weigh so much!)

Matt

From the Dingwall website:
"Leland Sklar turned us on to small frets. We use a size that is normally used on banjos. The small frets intonate very precisely, feel sleek and have a warmer, woodier tone. For the player with finesse, who is looking for the ultimate in playability, we also offer Mandolin frets. Necks fretted with mando frets sound even more woody and natural. Fret noise is almost non-existent. Playability takes the term effortless to a new level. Players with a light to medium touch can expect 5-10 years before replacement is necessary."

I used to have a bass with mando frets, to be frank it played and sounded much the same as my other basses. Your fingers create much of the toneand they remain the same.

It certainly was “quieter” re fret noise, but not that that really matters in a band setting. If you do not record much, don’t bother is my advice. If you have a hard playing style, don’t bother. If you just want to do it...... it is your bass. You should be able to fit it to a pre slotted neck without issue.

• Like 2

'' For the player with finesse''.

Well, that wraps it for me...

I'd read about Leland's thing years ago - in the 70's maybe - and could see where he was coming from, The idea of a more 'woody' sound is appealing but, as you say, it's the fingers and one's own 'touch' that make the sound. Fret noise never been an issue really - I use flats, mostly, and do mostly live with some studio work. Or did until recently.

Thanks for your input, guys, I really appreciate it. I've already fretted the neck with regular wire as it happens but have made a frightful bish of it, to be frank, so will have to start over I think. Learning curve...

Here's to us all in these difficult times.

Stay Safe!

Shug

On 14/04/2020 at 09:09, itu said:

The thinner the fretwire, the harder the playing. My old bass teacher had a custom bass with mandolin frets, but he decided the benefits were less than the cons. Not that it would be undoable.

Eek! 'Harder playing'? Don't like the sound of that

• Haha 1