Why become a member? ×

Looking for my old Pbass

andytoad

Hello all,

Does anyone have or know the whereabouts of my old Fender Precision? It's a long shot (I sold it about 13 years ago), but have missed it ever since. Its got pretty distinctive markings and I have the serial number too.

More photos available if needed

Any info would be much appreciated!

CIMG1210.thumb.JPG.8b1446faae4e1e824b9270f03e9f37f2.JPG

CIMG1214.thumb.JPG.db3f3b7bf3cd1df50eaac2aa7224e9a4.JPG

CIMG1212.thumb.JPG.fb675c22f25d1eb86a3f40341894384c.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hope you find it Andy! *BUMP*

Apparently my equivalent is in a studio somewhere in Suffolk. Just not sure which studio though! So close, yet so far!!

Good luck matey :) 

7 minutes ago, Dood said:

Hope you find it Andy! *BUMP*

Apparently my equivalent is in a studio somewhere in Suffolk. Just not sure which studio though! So close, yet so far!!

Good luck matey :) 

Cheers Dood, it's been about 12 years now, but i still keep an eye out! 

19 minutes ago, andytoad said:

Cheers Dood, it's been about 12 years now, but i still keep an eye out! 

Well, it will happen! I sold mine when I was 18 (stupid boy!!!!!!!!) and it a weird coincidence just randomly looking on eBay TWENTY FIVE YEARS LATER it appeared right in front of my eyes! I recognised it immediately.

Long story short, the owner (who interestingly was the son of the guy I sold it too) just would not budge and wanted a truly ridiculous price for it. So, off it went.

Then, BLARST MEYY! The thing appeared here on BassChat for sale. Again, I tried to talk to the seller about buying it, but he'd been fed a whole lot of nonsense about the bass too and didn't want to entertain a sale for a reasonable price. I think it went back on to eBay, I later found out and only sold for the price I'd ball parked anyway. But the twist of the story was that the winning bid was a shill and the bass.. oh dear me ended up in a shop in Ipswich for sale where it was finally sold to a studio in Suffolk. Quite a tory, but it's out there - and if I was listened to first of all, it might have been back on my guitar stand. Hey ho!

Edited by Dood
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dood said:

Well, it will happen! I sold mine when I was 18 (stupid boy!!!!!!!!) and it a weird coincidence just randomly looking on eBay TWENTY FIVE YEARS LATER it appeared right in front of my eyes! I recognised it immediately.

Long story short, the owner (who interestingly was the son of the guy I sold it too) just would not budge and wanted a truly ridiculous price for it. So, off it went.

Then, BLARST MEYY! The thing appeared here on BassChat for sale. Again, I tried to talk to the seller about buying it, but he'd been fed a whole lot of nonsense about the bass too and didn't want to entertain a sale for a reasonable price. I think it went back on to eBay, I later found out and only sold for the price I'd ball parked anyway. But the twist of the story was that the winning bid was a shill and the bass.. oh dear me ended up in a shop in Ipswich for sale where it was finally sold to a studio in Suffolk. Quite a tory, but it's out there - and if I was listened to first of all, it might have been back on my guitar stand. Hey ho!

What was it?

14 hours ago, Dood said:

Wow that's quite a trail you've managed to follow there!

My 'one that got away' is an 80s Stingray 2eq in translucent red, rosewood board, black pickguard and a bit of flame to the neck. I had a Duncan hot jazz pickup in the neck position added. Finish was worn through on the forearm contour.

Sold around Easter 2002 to a studio in the Docklands area of London.

If anyone on here has it let me know! 👍

I've looked on line for pics of any ads etc. but nothing. The trail went cold the day I sold it.

Good luck with your search Andy, I hope you get lucky. 🤞

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 22:14, andytoad said:

What was it?

049A8E2C-4091-4C40-A375-C44B5F92A636.thumb.jpeg.6945674336d492ccf324591d79a012b8.jpeg1286B7AF-4A87-40F8-AFF6-EA32FFD8F74D.thumb.jpeg.3831be0f6c8208dfc83f39fe9db6e862.jpegE9B82B77-0837-42B0-A073-A07B9C9C33E4.jpeg.d44e23ec66ad03fd9216d60acf57df75.jpeg

Note the screw holes above the E string near the bridge. I did see Andy Baxter selling a 76 P a while back which interestingly had holes in the same position, but it wasn't the same bass. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, elom said:

Why did previous owners of this bass believe it to be particularly valuable? I mean given how much you wanted it back they must have been asking for way over what you thought it was worth. 

I'd received varying stories, but I wonder if they thought I was trying to low-ball them to get "a good deal" on a "'68 precision" (which would have been a ridiculous offer if it was!), which it blatantly isn't. The neck doesn't even belong on that body. Scratchplate, pickups, bridge... not original.. tuning keys the same age as the neck, some years younger than the body! I think the difference to begin with was about £1000 between a reasonable valuation (what it failed to sell at on eBay) and what they were asking. Oh well. 

Edited by Dood
Adding info
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...