Why become a member? ×

Using a travel adaptor with a European plug

umcoo

Hi all,

I've got a new (old) amp coming in the next few weeks which has a hard-wired cable and plug, however it has a European plug on the end.

I am planning to eventually remove the EU plug and add a UK one, however will I be able to test and play the amp with one of those travel adaptors we all take on our jollies?  

The amp has switchable voltages between 220v and 240v on the back.  I will be setting this to 240v, correct?

Thanks guys 

I'm very happy to be wrong about this, but I doubt the amp will have a switch for EU and UK voltages (220v and 240v respectfully)

It's more likely to be US and Eu (or UK) so it will say 110v or 220/240v.

In which case make sure it is NOT set at 110v.

If it really does have a 220&240 switch, set it to 240v.

You'll be fine running an adapter.

Ideally I'd always want my high power amplifiers to be grounded with a UK three pin plug, but I've had amps that aren't.

What is your new amplifier?

Enjoy!

Check that travel adaptor, if it has any power restrictions. If not, try the amp with modest volume. I just hate every extra part in between.

brown/black is live

blue is neutral

yellow/green is always earth and nothing else, ever!

220/240 is meaningless, because the voltage with both options is in the limits of the 230 V power line +/- 10 %.

@Woodwind - thanks.  It definitely does have 220/240, but I have read that it doesn't make much (any?) difference.  The adapter is only short term, will rewire a UK plug when I can, but I just know I'll want to play it as soon as it gets in :D

Amp is a Peavey Alphabass - 160w valve amp from late 80's/early 90's.

@itu thanks.  I agree that it's an extra part that can go wrong so will change it shortly after it arrives.  Appreciate the plug wiring :D

• Like 2

make sure it is the right adapter, the sort most uk people take abroad is for plugging a uk plug into a euro socket, you need the opposite, for plugging the euro plug into a uk socket, i wouldn't worry about using an adaptor as that is what thomann supply if they sell you something with a hardwired euro plug.

Matt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, umcoo said:

@Woodwind - thanks.  It definitely does have 220/240, but I have read that it doesn't make much (any?) difference.  The adapter is only short term, will rewire a UK plug when I can, but I just know I'll want to play it as soon as it gets in :D

Amp is a Peavey Alphabass - 160w valve amp from late 80's/early 90's.

@itu

Apologies if my tone seemed off earlier 😊

Oh wow!

That amp will sound amazing!

I always wanted to try some proper, big peavey amps after loving Billy Gould's tone from Faith No More.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woodwind said:

Apologies if my tone seemed off earlier 😊

Oh wow!

That amp will sound amazing!

I always wanted to try some proper, big peavey amps after loving Billy Gould's tone from Faith No More.

Not at all! 

Yeah, thanks.  Heard some mixed reviews, mostly to do with lack of volume, but I'm only noodling at home so not predicting any issues.  Can't beat an all-valve amp for the prices they go for.

Cheers

• Like 1

My mother used to tell the tale of when I changed the plug on her iron. I was nine at the time and she didn't dare plug the thing in until my dad came home and checked my work. It was safe and properly installed! LOL

Change the plug for a proper 13A fused plug. It will save messing about later with questionable adaptors.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1