Why become a member? ×

Buying Advice: Light 300w+ Rig

theGecko

Hi all,

welcome to my first post on basschat, I'm looking for a little buying advice.

I'm in the market for a new head/cab or combo setup so I can be heard over our drummer. We play mainly rock, some classic and some heavy. Budget around ~£650 total.

Ideally I'd like something to replace my practice amps (orange crush 25bx and roland micro cube) so I can find the setup I like at home and take it straight to practice/gigs.

We only do small pub gigs, so was thinking 300w - 400w would be about right. I also need this to be light, so the more modern 'neo' stuff is quite likely.

I have made a shortlist and at this point would usually try to find some music centres to try some gear out. With the COVID-19 lock down, this isn't possible. So I'd love to hear people's thoughts if they have had the opportunity to compare any of the following...

Combos:

• Mark Bass CMD121h - would the amp suit my music style?
  • TC Combo450 (S/H) - worried about the weight

Cabs:

• Trace Elliot 2x8 - love the size and weight of this, but I doubt the elf would be able to get this to the sound levels I need. Would a larger amp push this to its full potential?
  • Mark Bass TRV 121H or 121HR
  • Hartke Hydrive HD210

Heads:

Any comparisons, thoughts or love/hate stories would be appreciated. What would you pair up for a good rig with that tone/weight/power sweet spot?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, theGecko said:

heard over our drummer. We play mainly rock, some classic and some heavy. Budget around ~£650 total.

... I also need this to be light

... a good rig with that tone/weight/power sweet spot?

You're describing a Fender Rumble 500.

• Like 5

I’ve used a Markbass head with a 2x12 cab for rock (and other genres) and it worked for me and others I know who have also used MB stuff. Having the 1x12 combo would give you a home, small practice rig add the 1x12 extension cab and you’ve got a gigging rig. I haven’t used any of the other stuff so I can’t comment on them. 

40 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’ve used a Markbass head with a 2x12 cab for rock (and other genres) and it worked for me and others I know who have also used MB stuff. Having the 1x12 combo would give you a home, small practice rig add the 1x12 extension cab and you’ve got a gigging rig. I haven’t used any of the other stuff so I can’t comment on them. 

This is what I do.

It’s not the model on your list but I use a MB CMD121P for everything you describe. Small, light, very loud and I’ve always found a rock tone I’m happy with just twiddling the VLE/VPF knobs. I have the NY121 extension cab but to honest the combo is so powerful/loud it’s rarely needed, handy to have the option though.

I can recommend checking that out for what you’re looking for 👍

I have a Rumble 500. It's very light, it looks fantastic and it sounds fantastic. It's quoted at about 350w without an extension cab (I think).

I would say, however, I have problems with my legs and with my balance, so although it's an easy one hand lift, the dimensions of it have thrown me out on stairs, going through doors and bumbling around in corners... I've nearly gone over a few times. I have considered going smaller and superlight... but it costs. Need to get out of lockdown to try it out at a few more rehearsals. Have thought about keeping the 500 for gigs and getting a Rumble 100 for rehearsals... but where's the fun in that?

Fender Rumble, Ashdown Rootmaster or Studio, Markbass CMD will all do it. Markbass will be slightly less versatile as doesn’t have gain/drive, but sounds great with a Precision for classic rock. Personally I’d discount the Trace Elf & 2x8 for gigging, I’d want power in reserve, not to have to push my gear to near its limits all the time.

I don't think the Trace or Hartke cabs that you mention will cut it live in a rock band when you get playing live. You'll probably need something with a bit more welly about it that you don't have to push so hard. I would suggest at least a 1x12 cab and a 500w head (which will only output 250/300w through a single 8ohm cab). Or a 500w combo with an option to run an extra cab from it (those Fender Rumble ones seem pretty loved at the moment)

There's a Barefaced Super 12 in the classifieds just down the M11 from you at the moment for under £500 if you could stretch to it and it will cover off anything you're ever likely to do from pubs to outdoor stuff. For an amp head you can frequently pick up used Markbass LM2/3 (there's a Mark Bass Big Bang a few miles from the Barefaced cab funnily enough - neither are mine!), Ashdowns, Gallien RB series or EBS Reidmars for peanuts - none of them weigh much.

Try and stick to the classifieds on here as well - you can usually flip used gear without too much of a loss (if any) if you don't get on with it. Most guys on here are well intentioned, informed and honest and are great to deal with. £650/700 on here will get you a great rig - it's a great time to be a bass player with the quality of gear thats around at great prices.

Edited by Mudpup

I think you might be pushing it to expect a single 12 to cope in a band where you play heavy rock. I agree with others that the Rumble 500 is a sound choice, but suggest an extension cab will make a big difference. Any 8 ohm 12" cab would do it (within reason) if funds are tight. It doesn't have to be a matching one. 

The trace elf is a very surprising piece of kit. I had one, and did a gig with one. I used a 2x12 (and PA support) with it, and to be honest although it coped well, and was a good sound, it was always pushing way harder than I'd have liked. Likewise the 2x8 just wont cut it in a live rock band.

Personally id look for something Ashdown.

Depending on what you class as light, id either go rm500 (or combo) or abm.

Cab wise is where you'll struggle to get quality, light and within budget. If it has to be cheap and light I'd go for a 1x15 rather than a 2x10 etc. Some expensive 2x10s are great, but some just dont cut it.

Or check out the quilter stuff. Perhaps out of budget, but you might get lucky. That's super small, light and powerful.

I must admit if I ever went back to gigging, I would have ordinarily gravitated towards MB gear.. as someone's already said, Precision & MB just work really well.

I'd be torn though, having had a quick blast through a Fender Rumble 100, I would have to seriously consider the Rumble 500 instead. Absolutely loved the sound I got from the 100

Thanks for the quick responses and the wealth of knowledge.

17 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

You're describing a Fender Rumble 500.

16 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Fender Rumble 500 all the live long day... 

Darn it, I knew I'd end up with more on my list. TBF, I'm not enjoying the styling of the fender combos, though!

17 hours ago, ezbass said:

Just what I was thinking 👍

13 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Try and stick to the classifieds on here as well - you can usually flip used gear without too much of a loss (if any) if you don't get on with it. Most guys on here are well intentioned, informed and honest and are great to deal with. £650/700 on here will get you a great rig - it's a great time to be a bass player with the quality of gear thats around at great prices.

Good advice, thanks!

16 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Steve @skidder652003 band is soo loud so if he says it is enough it will be. 

That sounds awesome!

Right, now to decide whether to wait out this lockdown or get impatient and just pull the trigger on one of these. I don't suppose any music retailers do 'try before you buy' at home?

Cheers!

20 minutes ago, theGecko said:

Right, now to decide whether to wait out this lockdown or get impatient and just pull the trigger on one of these. I don't suppose any music retailers do 'try before you buy' at home?

Not quite try before you buy, but to bear in mind you have a statutory right to return mail order goods within 14 days for a full refund including the delivery cost.

3 hours ago, theGecko said:

Thanks for the quick responses and the wealth of knowledge.

Darn it, I knew I'd end up with more on my list. TBF, I'm not enjoying the styling of the fender combos, though!

Just what I was thinking 👍

Good advice, thanks!

That sounds awesome!

Cheers!

You won't be able to tell properly at home - you'll need to try it in anger at a rehearsal or gig before you really know  whether its a keeper. I've had quite a few bits that sounded great in the house but ran for cover in a band situation - class D amps probably being the worse offenders....

• Like 1

I've just sold my CMD121P and kept the Rumble 500. The Markbass is brilliant but it did need the extension cabinet when I wasn't through the PA.  Running both cabs was superb though and a really small footprint. The Rumble on it's own is light, stylish and loud and will be fine without PA support, but if you really need extra oomph then the 210 extension is great. 

I've had the Markbass 121h for a few years now. I was playing in a loud rock band at the time, 2 guitars, flute, electric violin.... lots of noise. My plan was to use it in rehearsals than stick a 121h cab under it to use it's full potential when necessary.... erm.... that's still not been necessary. even running at half it's potential it cuts through beautifully and I've still had it nowhere near full volume. 

I might still add the cab somewhere down the line for appearances sake, but that's all it will be, I'm in a slightly more subtle band now anyway, but still with a loud drummer. The horn gives it great clarity too. I've not regretted replacing my Trace stuff for a moment, and all in a simple one handed carry.

6 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Peavey MiniMax and 2x Barefaced 10-inch cabs. The ultimate modular rig!

Agreed.  I also sometimes use a Quilter BB800 with a single or a pair of Barefaced one10s but often the Peavey miniMax.  Both amps are great.  Drummers are always really surprised when you fire up such a small looking, but massive sounding rig. :)

The main drawback is the price of the one10s so a single two10 would save some money.

Frank.

I'm rather partial to a pair of Ampeg SVT 210AVs stacked vertically. Currently using my pair with a Trace Elliot Elf, and it's window rattlingly loud - but I've not actually gigged with it. Cranked it pretty loud at the last South West Bass Bash. I think it would happiliy handle a 500W amp... not tried. Sound is typical Ampeg rock whatever you seem to use with them.

On 14/04/2020 at 11:01, sifi2112 said:

If you could stretch your budget my Genzler MG350 combo + 110 extension cab is probably better than the other offerings .. shameless sales bump lol

Absolutely shameless :)

On 14/04/2020 at 10:52, jrixn1 said:

Not quite try before you buy, but to bear in mind you have a statutory right to return mail order goods within 14 days for a full refund including the delivery cost.

That's a good point, but still difficult to try things side-by-side without a massive outlay!

On 14/04/2020 at 16:01, NickD said:

I've had the Markbass 121h for a few years now. I was playing in a loud rock band at the time, 2 guitars, flute, electric violin.... lots of noise. My plan was to use it in rehearsals than stick a 121h cab under it to use it's full potential when necessary.... erm.... that's still not been necessary. even running at half it's potential it cuts through beautifully and I've still had it nowhere near full volume. 

I might still add the cab somewhere down the line for appearances sake, but that's all it will be, I'm in a slightly more subtle band now anyway, but still with a loud drummer. The horn gives it great clarity too. I've not regretted replacing my Trace stuff for a moment, and all in a simple one handed carry.

That's really good to know.

Thanks to all for your input/advice