Why become a member? ×

Fender American Performer Precision

ClassicVibes

I have been looking for a new PJ bass with a slim neck and passive electronics. This American Performer Precision fits the bill and I would very much like to try it out. Reading reviews online though, the Performer series doesn't seem to get much kudos with many people saying it's no better than the high end Mexican basses.

Does anyone on here own one of the Performer series basses? What are they like in a real world setting? 

I can't help with your particular query... but I feel your pain. You can drive yourself half-mad by endlessly reading reviews and listening to dodgy you tube vids. I've been doing quite a bit of this myself over the lockdown period and likely to wake up screaming at three in the morning.

My view is to be a bit patient... you need to get one in your hot sweaty hands and try it. If you like it then it doesn't matter what the reviews say.

But I've just seen a lovely sunburst one at Andertons... I'm a PJ fan myself. Don't forget if you buy mail order you can still return it (if you're careful with the packaging) and you only lose your postage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

I have been looking for a new PJ bass with a slim neck and passive electronics. This American Performer Precision fits the bill and I would very much like to try it out. Reading reviews online though, the Performer series doesn't seem to get much kudos with many people saying it's no better than the high end Mexican basses.

Does anyone on here own one of the Performer series basses? What are they like in a real world setting? 

The Mex Deluxe Precision P/J is a great bass. Sounds great and has a Jazz Style neck. I tried it in Guitar Guitar and loved it but then decided to buy the USA Elite version, without getting the chance to play it first (because I assumed, being a USA made bass it would be better than the version made south of the border). The Elite is a nice bass and sounds great but it was 100% more expensive that the Mex version and it wasn't any better sounding or better made.