Why become a member? ×

Markbass Micromark 801

fragility

I went through the same process earlier this year.  Not much I would answer, at least without spending a fortune. Looked at all the small combos and agree for me also the Rumble 40 was the nearest worthy candidate. I was looking initially at combos with 10 inch speakers and discounting the 801,but the 801 kept coming up in reviews....

In the end the small size won me over and I got the 801. I have to say I have seldom been so pleased with  any item of musical gear let alone an amp. I can't believe I can turn up with my 8 piece jazz outfit with such a lightweight tiny amp that looks like it shouldn't have left its mum.

The biggest compliment is that you would think you were listening to a much bigger speaker cabinet, proper low authoritative bass notes mean that even quiet practice sessions are no longer a compromise with your sound. I guess it's the  top quality drive unit that MB use that makes all the difference. Anyway top marks from me.

• Like 2

I know you will get 1001 different answers, but I use an Orange Crush 50 for home practice and I love it. Semi-parametric mid; and the gain/blend controls which seem to give infinite possibilities; aux in; headphone out; 12" speaker and enough whoomph to convince you you're playing a real bass... rather than twangly low notes.

Edited by Trueno

• 2 months later...
On 13/04/2020 at 16:07, Martin E said:

I went through the same process earlier this year.  Not much I would answer, at least without spending a fortune. Looked at all the small combos and agree for me also the Rumble 40 was the nearest worthy candidate. I was looking initially at combos with 10 inch speakers and discounting the 801,but the 801 kept coming up in reviews....

In the end the small size won me over and I got the 801. I have to say I have seldom been so pleased with  any item of musical gear let alone an amp. I can't believe I can turn up with my 8 piece jazz outfit with such a lightweight tiny amp that looks like it shouldn't have left its mum.

The biggest compliment is that you would think you were listening to a much bigger speaker cabinet, proper low authoritative bass notes mean that even quiet practice sessions are no longer a compromise with your sound. I guess it's the  top quality drive unit that MB use that makes all the difference. Anyway top marks from me.

I’ve been back and forth a thousand time’s but I’m almost sold. Hubby (guitar) and I have just started playing again after a few years and so I want:

- great tone

- simple

- easy to shift around the house

I’m just having a last minute “can it cope with the low B on a 5 string?” moment. Don’t suppose you’ve tried with a 5 string, have you?

No I'm just a four stringer I'm afraid. Most written and video reviews I've seen indicate it'll handle it fine and I wouldn't doubt that.

BTW I tried it with an Epiphone 335 the other day and it doubles as a great little amp for clean sounding jazz guitar.

I played a gig with a MB802 the promoter supplied, and I couldn't hear a thing above a loudish drummer.

The 801 has minimal EQ, one less speaker and 40 less watts.

I have a Fender Rumble 100 V3, which is light as a feather, has lots of EQ and is capable of gigging with a civilised drummer.

It cost me £165 secondhand.

Edited by gjones

I’ve got young kids, and I put time with them over everything else, so I won’t be gigging or playing with a drummer anytime soon. If it ever happens, I’ll dust off my ancient amp from the garage if it still works (or treat myself to something dedicated to that purpose)

For now, I just want something that sounds gorgeous for solo practice and playing with one guitarist at low volumes while the kids sleep. 

The Rumbles do look brilliant and my head says they’re a great choice. My heart’s been wanting a Markbass since I first played through a borrowed CMD102 about 10 years ago.

I’ve got EQ controls on basses, a Pod XT and possible a separate EQ pedal somewhere if I need it so that bit worries me a lot less than when I first started looking. It’s really tempting to get something that does more, but I want something that does less but does it really well so I’m almost sure this is the one.

I’m just worried that I won’t be able to enjoy that feeling of rocking out that I miss so much with an 8 inch speaker but I think I’ll only know if I take a punt.

Thanks so much for the input folks. New toy for mummy!!!! 😁

5 hours ago, fragility said:

I’ve got young kids, and I put time with them over everything else, so I won’t be gigging or playing with a drummer anytime soon. If it ever happens, I’ll dust off my ancient amp from the garage if it still works (or treat myself to something dedicated to that purpose)

For now, I just want something that sounds gorgeous for solo practice and playing with one guitarist at low volumes while the kids sleep. 

The Rumbles do look brilliant and my head says they’re a great choice. My heart’s been wanting a Markbass since I first played through a borrowed CMD102 about 10 years ago.

I’ve got EQ controls on basses, a Pod XT and possible a separate EQ pedal somewhere if I need it so that bit worries me a lot less than when I first started looking. It’s really tempting to get something that does more, but I want something that does less but does it really well so I’m almost sure this is the one.

I’m just worried that I won’t be able to enjoy that feeling of rocking out that I miss so much with an 8 inch speaker but I think I’ll only know if I take a punt.

Thanks so much for the input folks. New toy for mummy!!!! 😁

I’ve got an 801 and I love it. I had the 802 which was enough for gigs, but I’ve got an AER for that purpose so I sold it.

If you want something that’s cheap and will do a brilliant job, go with the Fender.

If you want something a bit more sophisticated, or if you’re playing DB / EUB as I do then the 801 or a Phil Jones is a great choice. 

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your input. I got the markbass and couldn’t be happier. I just carry it downstairs when the nippers are asleep, plug in and play and it just sounds beautiful. No bells or whistles, It just adds to the pleasure of playing. And I get to feel incredibly smug tucking it away in an Ikea Kallax when I’m done. Love this thing.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 11:43, fragility said:

Looking for a small, simple, great sounding (for that size) practice amp. 

I was looking at the Markbass Micromark 801 combo. What else should I be considering?

The 801 is a great little amp. I actually played 2 gigs with it unsupported in a noisy pub. OK is was an acousticey gig but it still held its own and it’s ridiculously portable .