Why become a member? ×

Help identifying the type of bass and strings used on this song

Lunatique

I'm learning to play this song right now, but I'm not quite sure what kind of bass or strings was used.

To me, it sounds like a fretless with a lot of mwah, and not an upright or EUB. None of my basses have that much mwah, so I can't quite replicate the tone. I tried using my Ibanez SRH500F with La Bella black nylon tapewound strings, but the tone was too focused with too much attack, and didn't have that mwah. I also tried using my NS Design Omnibass CR5 (both the magnetic and piezo pickups), and it didn't quite sound right either. The bass used in that song just has a ton of mwah that I can't replicate. I even tried lowering the action to see if it'll increase the mwah, but it didn't really help much.

So what kind of bass and strings does it sound like to you? If you can replicate that tone, what kind of bass and strings are you using to get it?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Lunatique

12 hours ago, itu said:

Sounds like a fretless with a talented player in studio. A compressor could help. I would not be able to get that consistent sound without it.

I have now tried various tips I've gotten, including using compressor, using roundwound, lowering the action, but still no mwah. Could the fact the SRH500F being a semi-hollow body with piezo pickup be the reason? I don't know if I've ever heard of any examples in YT of this series of basses having any mwah. 

The tone and compressor settings have to be studied somewhat. Be creative and turn all settings further than you are used to. One good point is, that to be able to enhance certain area, it may be feasible to reduce others. Boost only may not be your best option.

Try to reduce the attack with fast comp setting as a first trial.