Why become a member? ×

Schaller BM tuning head - left to right hand conversion

If you don't already know, you can actually change the orientation of bass tuning heads (left to right, or vice-versa) on Schaller Fender or Musicman style units. 

It's a really straightforward operation. I'll show you here how I've just changed the orientation from left handed, to right handed, on a tuning head I have in my stash. 

This one is from a set I'll be using on a Musicman Stingray. I'll change the orientation back to left handed, to allow it to be used on the lower side of my headstock. 

Okay, let's look at the procedure:

1 - Unscrew the retaining screw that holds the tuning cig in place. There's a washer that sits between the screw head a d the tuning cog. 

2 - the tuning cog simply pops off - you'll most probably have to wuglle the tuning paddle to allow it to simply pop off. This will then cause the string capstan rod to simply fall out. 

3 - there is also a retaining lug with a clear plastic film on top of it - this keeps the tuning paddle / wormgear in place when everything is assembled. 

4 - turn the baseplate over. You'll see that the tuning paddle / wormgear sits on two nylon bushings at either side of the plate. The tuning paddle simply lifts out, and you can then place the paddle on the other side of the baseplate. 

5 - you then simply reassemble the  components:

Place the tuning paddle / wormgear retaining plate in place. 

Place the string capstan rod through the baseplate hole. 

Place the tuning cog in place (it fits only in one way onto the tuning capstan rod as both items have a flat ridge that matches up). 

Insert the retaining screw through the washer, and screw through the tuning cog, into the string capstan rod. 

When screwed together, you may need to wiggle the tuning paddle to let everything settle, and then re-tighten the retaining screw. When everything is settled in place, and secured, you'll then have a tuning head in whichever orientation you require. 

IMG_20200412_203018.jpg

IMG_20200412_203103.jpg

IMG_20200412_203134.jpg

IMG_20200412_203158.jpg

IMG_20200412_203220.jpg

IMG_20200412_203242.jpg

IMG_20200412_203423.jpg

• Like 1

Neat job! :)

I've just looked at the tuning pegs on my Eminence, which are similar to that one, and they could be manipulated like that if necessary. All my bass guitars, however, have the Schaller/Goto modern-shaped, sealed tuning pegs, the look of which I prefer; replacements for those are relatively cheap to find.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of making a replica bass, for which I need four gold plated machine heads. I saw a 5 string set of Schaller BM units on eBay (Brand new) that were going for a steal as they were in "3 + 2" left / right configuration. 

So, I bought them, knowing that I could change the orientation, to suit my requirements, in a couple of minutes. Ideal! 

• Like 1

Will do! It's gonna be a while to get it completed, due to the work required, and the cost of the hardware (e.g. the gold bridge assembly cost just under £170! The pickups will cost £200, with an additional £70 for replacement gold covers, and surrounds!) 

In the meantime, I'm making another P-Bass for myself - Seafoam Green this time, with an active EMG P-Bass pickup, and Gotoh "lollipop" tuners. Getting it together has allowed me to focus on something while being bored at home. 

IMG_20200406_154508.jpg

IMG_20200409_220556.jpg

IMG_20200409_220533.jpg

IMG_20200411_192747.jpg

IMG_20200411_192725.jpg

IMG_20200412_164106.jpg

IMG_20200412_194250.jpg

IMG_20200413_121809.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 2