Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Schecter P Bass...So close

BassApprentice

11 minutes ago, TheMaartian said:

I just ordered this one. Coming Wednesday. Going to restring it with the La Bella flats (760F-MUS) designed for the MIA Fender Mustang. I can live with the headstock, or, more precisely, I'm going to live with the headstock.

BANSHEE%20BASS%20CG%20TILT.png

Let us know what you think.

I always welcome more options for short scale bass choices on the market.

Though I am not personally really in the market for a vintage specked short scale P bass, even if I converted to playing almost exclusively short scales long ago and I like the tones P pickups are capable of,  but when that is said I think that headstock looks awesome, would far prefer it over a traditional Fender one, which to me has always come off as a bit bulgy and clumsy looking, regardless of the fact that I really prefer 2+2 kind of headstocks in the first place.

I think that headstock looks absolutely great though, but I realize that is not to much use for you since you clearly have a completely different taste in aesthetics, at least when it comes to bass headstocks, than me.

To me though that there is a vast improvement over Fender's headtstock design, and as far as I am concerned it fits the rest of the bass perfectly fine as well. 

To each their own I guess.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I always welcome more options for short scale bass choices on the market.

Though I am not personally really in the market for a vintage specked short scale P bass, even if I converted to playing almost exclusively short scales long ago and I like the tones P pickups are capable of,  but when that is said I think that headstock looks awesome, would far prefer it over a traditional Fender one, which to me has always come off as a bit bulgy and clumsy looking, regardless of the fact that I really prefer 2+2 kind of headstock in the first place.

I think that headstock looks absolutely great though, but I realize that is not to much use for you since you clearly have a completely different different taste in aesthetics, at least when it comes to bass headstocks, than me.

To me though that there is a vast improvement over Fender's headtstock design, and as far as I am concerned it fits the rest of the bass perfectly fine as well. 

To each their own I guess.

I didn't mean to infer that I dislike/hate the headstock. Like you, I prefer a 2x2 or 3x2 setup. That's the part I personally was referring to. I like the Banshee headstock WAY better than the one on the Mustang. That headstock looks fine on my 34" Jazz, but it overwhelms the Mustang. A bunch of peeps hate that bit of maple showing. I'll see what its really like when I finally lay hands on it. It does show off the "Banshee Bass" text nicely.

5 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Putting the EMGs in it make it super versatile for replacements which is good too

Yeah. “Ooh lull t-birds” was my first thought.

then I saw the black one and thought “ooh just like hooky!”

050650A1-EFE9-4931-A14E-167F1F26269A.png

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

I just ordered this one. Coming Wednesday. Going to restring it with the La Bella flats (760F-MUS) designed for the MIA Fender Mustang. I can live with the headstock, or, more precisely, I'm going to live with the headstock.

BANSHEE%20BASS%20CG%20TILT.png

That will sound great with the La Bellas - my favourite strings.  Mustang length should be right for thru-body stringing too.

• Like 1

I think that headstock is ok. I do hate fender headstocks on short scale things, it put me off the mustang. I am not normally a fan of fender headstocks anyway but on the smaller bodies they look ridiculously large.

I think the only thing worse than a fender headstock on a short scale is an ibanez Talman headstock.

And in grey, the whole thing looks very good. . 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2020 at 21:38, AndyTravis said:

Here - 3 bass headstock alternatives currently in production by the same company they could’ve picked.

and an example of how one of those designs works fine on one of their own quirky pseudo-retro designs...

E661788A-CBAD-491E-ABA5-F0D1691FAE57.jpeg

EBF9B7FB-4BD5-4A85-B92E-7F2675659D3E.jpeg

That bass looks fantastic black on brown

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

So how is it @TheMaartian?

Thanks for bumping this thread. I knew I had one other to update. Thoughts so far...

I love this bass! It's my new daily player. String spacing is a little tighter than on an SG (1 3/8" vs 1 5/8" E to G spacing at the nut), which suits me just fine. Two of my other 3 basses were more expensive, but the Banshee has absolutely the smoothest, fastest neck. The SG neck is finished the same as the body, and is a little bit sticky. The Ibanez neck is reasonably close to the Schecter. The neck on my '63 Fender J repro feels like fly paper compared to the others. Some day, it'll get a new neck and bridge. Or sold.

I restrung it straightaway with La Bella's, so I can't speak to how the stock Slinkys (45-105) play.

While the bridge supports top load in addition to thru body stringing, I decided to try the 760F-MUS Deep Talkers. They're a slightly lighter gage than the 760FS-S 45-105 sets I have on the SG and Ibby. At 43-60-82-104, they're not much thinner, but they have noticeably less tension than the standard set. Should be really good for bending and vibratos, but will take be a bit of time to get used to. The 760F-MUS set is made specifically for the MIA Mustang, but fit perfectly on the Schecter. The only 'surprise' was the red silk instead of black (which I'd have preferred). If black becomes a requirement, I can always top load a set of the 760FS-S strings.

And a shout-out to Schecter for using a Black Tusq XL nut on a sub-$1000 guitar! And light weight vintage tuning machines!

iFz9gsq.jpg

ulUFtzH.jpg

It's proving comfortable to play, with nice contouring for the right forearm and belly. Hangs easily in playing position.

Mine weighs exactly 8 lbs, easily tolerable for me.

Setup. In one word...superb! Low, very playable action. Properly intonated (ever so slight adjustment needed on one string). The La Bella DTFs slotted right in.

The rosewood fretboard is much darker than the other rosewood fretboards I have. Looks great with the Carbon Grey body.

Control knobs are large, solid and operate smoothly. They feel like they'll hold up to regular use.

Construction is excellent. I've found no finish flaws. And the 5-bolt neck feels really solid.

In my opinion, this is a super value. Great playing. Great looking. Very well made. Now that I've gotten my hands on one, I am SUPER, SUPER happy that I didn't spend $1250 on an MIA Mustang. The Schecter Banshee is an outstanding bass for $700.

• Like 6