Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Schecter P Bass...So close

BassApprentice

I was so excited when I saw the first promo shot - that colour and quirky little body - I was willing to forgo the “I will never play short scales” rule I have...

But sh*t me, that headstock. Not even a mother could love it.

7DEEEA1A-B14B-4E7A-85BA-106E8442207A.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Here - 3 bass headstock alternatives currently in production by the same company they could’ve picked.

and an example of how one of those designs works fine on one of their own quirky pseudo-retro designs...

E661788A-CBAD-491E-ABA5-F0D1691FAE57.jpeg

Those headstocks are a big part of the reason I don’t own a Schecter though... maybe the one on the left is ok, or this one.

836CA2E3-3988-4809-82FF-295D0111AB56.thumb.png.e78570def0cceafef62878eff7495e27.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, therealting said:

Those headstocks are a big part of the reason I don’t own a Schecter though... maybe the one on the left is ok, or this one.

836CA2E3-3988-4809-82FF-295D0111AB56.thumb.png.e78570def0cceafef62878eff7495e27.png

I think my issue with the “banshee” is two fold. 

It’s a stupid name for a bass which obviously needs flats on it - and a foam mute; the “sleeping sheepie” would’ve been more apt.

And that bloody headstock is nearly as big as the body and will cause much neck dive.

A more slender version of the J headstock would work.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I think my issue with the “banshee” is two fold. 

It’s a stupid name for a bass which obviously needs flats on it - and a foam mute; the “sleeping sheepie” would’ve been more apt.

And that bloody headstock is nearly as big as the body and will cause much neck dive.

A more slender version of the J headstock would work.

I sometimes think companies put random names in a hat and draw one out.  In this case, they should have drawn again for the reason you've given.

On 12/04/2020 at 23:49, hooky_lowdown said:

Mmmm... wondering if I should make a pickguard like that for my shortie?!? 🤔

IMG_20200402_111836432.jpg

I rather like that look as it is.  I have changed the parchment pickguard on my regular Fender P (also black and Rosewood) to matt black which looks better IMHO as you barely notice it's there :)

• Thanks 1

Re Banshee headstock, the more I look at it the more I like it!!  I can see one of these joining my collection (don't tell Mrs. Scrumpy 😉).  It's the name I can't forgive as it's so inappropriate.  Mind you, at least they didn't choose some belittling, trivialising name like 'Half-pint' or 'Wimp' or 'Shrimp' or 'Flyweight' or 'Bantam' or 'Short-a*se' (Spector please note).

Edited by scrumpymike

The name is odd, they've been using that for several years for one of their fullblown metal guitars and this bass is something entirely different. They have absolutely nothing in common. 

I'm not a big fan of the headstock either, or the pickguard design. I'd rather get a Reverend Wattplower.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 12:25, LeftyJ said:

The name is odd, they've been using that for several years for one of their fullblown metal guitars and this bass is something entirely different. They have absolutely nothing in common. 

I'm not a big fan of the headstock either, or the pickguard design. I'd rather get a Reverend Wattplower.

I would think he Wattplower will be double the price but it looks fantastic in green and has very useful features.