Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

Been reading this thread, very keen to join in. 

Sadly for me I've had to accept it has never been about the tone for me. It's always been about the bass line. 

It can be a Jamerson thud or JJB's filthy snarl, Entwistle's barrage of effects or Bruce Thomas perfect precision. The sound has never been the deciding factor for me. 

Which is sad because I don't get to join in the fun. 

*SIGH*

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Sadly for me I've had to accept it has never been about the tone for me. It's always been about the bass line. 

It can be a Jamerson thud or JJB's filthy snarl, Entwistle's barrage of effects or Bruce Thomas perfect precision. The sound has never been the deciding factor for me. 

*SIGH*

Except...you've just eloquently managed to join in the fun without actually doing so! Can't keep a good man down, eh? 😁

And you've now made me wonder what a Jamerson bass line without his trademark thud, or whether Entwistle's signature sound on My Generation would have been quite so iconic? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

*SIGH*

I suppose it should really be an amalgam of the bassline, the player's approach to the instrument and the line, their choice of equipment and settings and how these all conspire to serve the song.

However, I'll contribute. 

Just about anything from the Joe Jackson albums "Look Sharp" or "I'm the Man"

Graham Maby has it nailed. And he's well up in the mix.

• Like 3

Doesn't fit my personal playing style, but I love how the bass sounds on this track, and well, the track as such as well, the music video too for that matter :

And then to something completely different, that fits close to my personal playing style preferences, that almost have become a cliche with how many times the hook bass riff was repeated perpetually in countless bass demos, love the tone though and love both the track and the band, again also an amazing music video :

This too :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

*SIGH*

I think if anything I’m heading towards the opposite. The tone is 99.9% of it, for me. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Guilty pleasure confession! Saw Mel C on Jools last night and thought I'd give her 2020 album, the creatively titled "Melanie C", a listen. It's pretty good! 

In terms of bass tone - a couple of classic keyboard bass lines on:

"Blame it on Me" starting at 0.54 - wondering whether the C4 can deliver that @Quatschmacher, @dodge_bass?

"In and out of love" at 0.08 - P bass plus flats get close here?

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Guilty pleasure confession! Saw Mel C on Jools last night and thought I'd give her 2020 album, the creatively titled "Melanie C", a listen. It's pretty good! 

"Blame it on Me" starting at 0.54 - wondering whether the C4 can deliver that @Quatschmacher, @dodge_bass?

Sounds pretty straightforward, like a single sawtooth but with something maybe beefing out the bottom end. Not sure if the C4 envelope shape choices will capture it though; FI would probably though.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Sounds pretty straightforward, like a single sawtooth but with something maybe beefing out the bottom end. Not sure if the C4 envelope shape choices will capture it though; FI would probably though.

Look forward to your next upload on the FI thread then...may have to consider getting another FI if it can deliver that tone! (Plus @GisserD's excellent compact housing, plus a replacement Roland UM-ONE mk2 midi cable...ok I may need to just check my budget first - haha!).

Edited by Al Krow

10 minutes ago, krispn said:

Anything on the boss SY-1 get close? 

Nope, not that I've found yet anyway. As @Quatschmacher mentioned - it really needs a square wave generator ie be an actual synth rather than a synth emulator which the SY-1 and Helix are. But if even the C4 is going to come up short, that's a decently high hurdle. 

8 hours ago, krispn said:

There’s a boss and a c4 available locally so I’ll maybe give the boss a miss and check out the c4

Yeah lots of love on here and TB for the C4. I've managed to avoid a C4 so far, but Ian (aka @dodge_bass) who is as much of a neo-luddite as me, is getting some great tones from his C4 and obviously @Quatschmacheris our resident guru.

And, unlike me, I know you will roll up your sleeves and get down into the detail of the PC editor, whereas I'm preserving what little headspace I have for PC editing, for my multi-fxs.

Kinda hoping the SY-1000 will kill two birds for me, being both a multifx and an actual synth ie it's basically a Helix & C4 all under one bonnet. Well that's the hope, anyway! 

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Al Krow, here you go, C4 here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4iDvVBcznF2RPZKFsEQfdugkJlBbHbo/view?usp=sharing

Here on FI:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FsP2kAyLlJQLmhfoYRN0v12hl3w8PQxr/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Definitely easier to get closer with the FI. 

Thanks for whacking these two clips out Peter, you're an absolute gem. I'm going to give them both a careful listen to in the morning. 

For @krispn's benefit, who is thinking of getting the C4, is it possible to edit that without the Neurohub and to store presets on the pedal, just via your phone? If you can do on your phone, then also possible to do the same via your PC using WiFi without the hub? Just thinking that the hub is another slug of cost, particularly if you're just getting one SA pedal. 

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks for whacking these two clips out Peter, you're an absolute gem. I'm going to give them both a careful listen to in the morning. 

For @krispn's benefit, who is thinking of getting the C4, is it possible to edit that without the Neurohub and to store presets on the pedal, just via your phone? If you can do do on your phone, then also possible to do the same via your PC using WiFi without the hub? Just thinking that the hub is another slug of cost, particularly if you're just getting one SA pedal. 

Yes and yes (but not via WiFi - needs a USB cable).

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

For @krispn's benefit, who is thinking of getting the C4, is it possible to edit that without the Neurohub and to store presets on the pedal, just via your phone? If you can do do on your phone, then also possible to do the same via your PC using WiFi without the hub? Just thinking that the hub is another slug of cost, particularly if you're just getting one SA pedal. 

Thats a misunderstanding of the pedal and software. The software to edit in the app be it iphone/iPad/Mac/PC is free.

You have access via the community online via this software to download any sound anyone has placed on there, so if you are daunted by PC editing, don’t be, the likelihood is that either SA, SA artists/affiliates, or normal Joe public will have that sound covered you can learn from and tweak the parameters to your liking.

You can of course create your own sound from scratch very easily.

The pedal has 6 sounds you can access by flicking switched on the pedal 

You only need the neurohub for midi and the other about 128 storage places, and of course linking other midi pedals in the SA range.

You can use the pedal with disaster area midi devices without the Neurohub

Its done wired, not wirelessly for sounds

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

That's good to know. I'm guessing that most folk are unlikely to want to access more than 6 usable sounds from the C4 for typical live sets: more likely a couple of decent up and down filters and maybe 2 or 3 synth sounds. 

Bit annoying if you have to fork out another £100+ for a midi pedal to quickly scroll up and down your patch selection though during a live set - or is that something that can be easily done on the pedal itself? But I guess you still need the midi pedal to tell you which patch you're actually on due to the lack of indication from any display? 

I guess that's where the FI does have quite a big live use advantage, with a built in display to tell you which patch you're on and the ability to store and scroll through 99 patches on the pedal itself. 

Edited by Al Krow