Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

This was the video that changed everything for me tone wise. I've always played rock styles, but never gelled with the standard modern rock bass tone, especially overdriven sounds. I then came across this video and was blown away. His tone actually thunders yet it's clear as a bell. TI Jazz Flats & Lakland basses I'm sure.

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Light Grenade said:

This was the video that changed everything for me tone wise. I've always played rock styles, but never gelled with the standard modern rock bass tone, especially overdriven sounds. I then came across this video and was blown away. His tone actually thunders yet it's clear as a bell. TI Jazz Flats & Lakland basses I'm sure.

Particularly liked the bit right at the end from 3.24 onwards.

Love the story of you hearing that tone and thinking "yup that's what I want!"

Whilst not necessarily a tone that makes you sit up and go, “Wow!” this P sits in its own spot in the mix so well, that it’s hard not to be impressed. In addition, to my ears, there’s something extra honky about the tone for a P, especially during the solo at around 3:20 onwards, to the point I had to check it was a straight ahead P and not a P/J. Oh, the guitars aren’t bad either.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2021 at 12:19, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I know envy's a terrible thing, but what I wouldn't give to even play just one of those Alembics... he must have a very good job 😄

I believe his dad originally bought him the buckeye one but I could be wrong. That was about £18k-worth IIRC. And that’s just one! 

On 10/11/2021 at 16:28, Rich said:

Jimmy Johnson's tone on this is just gorgeous. Lovely solo and not a single slap.

For me Jimmy’s one of THE best all-rounders in the business. Great sitting in the pocket and laying back, great at soloing, just great, full stop. Saw Allan Holdsworth several years back and stood right in front of JJ all night, literally about two feet away. I’d have stayed to chat after but I had a train to catch, sadly. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...