Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

I went to see Big Country last night and whilst that classic BG guitar tone was there in spades, the FOH guys seem to bury Scott Whitley’s bass in the frequency the bass drum was occupying (why do they do this?). Anyway, today I thought I’d check out a live version of their eponymous song to see if that great tone on the album was actually achievable in a live environment. Yes it was and then some! Mr Butler, please take the stage and growl away, Sir.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/04/2020 at 21:09, PatrickJ said:

Flea's tone on the BSSM album was incredible! i believe he was using his Wal bass and his GK Amps at the time - this album was the reason my first proper bass rig was a GK head & cab.

Marcus Miller's slap tone on Renaissance is what I'm striving to get close to.   I've spent quite a lot of time with my Helix trying to get the right levels of compression and EQ to get near it.

And finally the drummer I play with loves some prog metal, in fact we are due to go see Steven Wilson in September but who knows if that will happen given the current situation, but Nick Beggs kind of nails that genre's bass tone for me.  Again I've been working with the Helix to get close..

Luminol bass transcription. 

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/luminol-steven-wilson/

• Thanks 1

I also had a massive love for

Jack Bruce, Chris Squire, Martin Brierley, John Giblin, Richard Nolan and about a million other people people. 

And don't forget the double bass players. Holland, Marc Johnson, Ron Carter, Paul Chambers, Reginald Veal, Christian McBride.. 

Edited by Bilbo

46 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I haveonly heard two tunes by this band but this kid's sound keeps catching my ear.

A quick search seems to reveal that her go to bass is actually that Longhorn through an SVT and it’s not just being using on the TV for the visuals.

7 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Perhaps we should merge this thread with the worst bass sound thread, as one man's "this is awesome!" is another's "f$$$ me wot a racquette!"

No, please let's not! 

I suspect the tones on the "worst bass sound" thread are likely to be most folks "f$$$ me wot a racquet!"

I think @Stub Mandrel was just seeking to rile a few Zombies and other living-dead amongst us. 

😁

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

rile a few Zombies and other living-dead amongst us

I suspect I'm not one of the Zombies, but I may have a touch of vampire in me... Because I can't be doing with any flat pick'ey P bass tones, or that Danelectro Eurovision tone, or Flea's horrific Maggot Brain sound, or anything at all by Future Islands apart form CrazyMan Dancing!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I suspect I'm not one of the Zombies, but I may have a touch of vampire in me... Because I can't be doing with any flat pick'ey P bass tones, or that Danelectro Eurovision tone, or Flea's horrific Maggot Brain sound, or anything at all by Future Islands apart form CrazyMan Dancing!

P bass vs J bass

4 string vs 5 string

Fingers vs pick

To compress or not

Rounds vs flats

and now...

BC Zombies vs BC Vampires.

Hmmm. now there's a thought!