Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

1 hour ago, BillyHunt said:

I'm curious how he gets this tone. Is it the voicing of the bass plus his technique or is he using some sort of effect?

My very favourite Abba track, for the reasons you say.  Did his Hagstrom have Di Marzio pickups to help the sound?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BillyHunt said:

I'm curious how he gets this tone. Is it the voicing of the bass plus his technique or is he using some sort of effect?

Mostly wood plus bridge single coil pickup.  The bass is almost entirely made from mahogany and I believe the fingerboard is some kind of composite or resin unless that's one of the originals, in which case it'll be rosewood.  The single coil pickup adds some focus.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Rich - any idea of the key bits of his signal chain to get that tone?

Most of it is Spector on the P pickup only, and digging in hard! 

I can't remember the exact gear but I remember an interview where EH mentioned driving a cab so loud to distort it had to be isolated in a case or something... sounds a bit daft to me! A Gallien Krueger will grunt like that. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I can't remember the exact gear but I remember an interview where EH mentioned driving a cab so loud to distort it had to be isolated in a case or something... sounds a bit daft to me! A Gallien Krueger will grunt like that. 

Yes, I remember that interview. IIRC it was a single driver in a not-quite-sealed flightcase, cranked to the edge of destruction & miked up. I think he called it 'The Trunk'. It had its own channel on the desk. You can hear it clearly on some of the tracks on Empire.

Edited by Rich

14 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

His usual recording/gigging gear at that time was Kramer Spector NS2 -> Gallien Krueger 800RB driven hard -> McAuley 2x15 cab. Most of his tone was from digging in hard on the bass and driving the GK.

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I continually forget just how good that album is.

It's easy to overlook as it's a little overshadowed by Angel Dust and The Real Thing, but I think it may be my favourite of theirs.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...