Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 14:18, Muzz said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Glenn H (I even liked Hughes/Thrall back in the day), him and Jimmy Barnes (oh, and Sammy H, and he's even older) are the last great rock voices that can still do it, and his tone is constantly great whatever he's using 

... 😀

Paul Rodgers can still cut it live, Eric Martin too on a good night

On 03/01/2021 at 15:00, 4000 said:

He had one of the best voices in rock singing in his lower register. Totally defeats me why he would abandon that to sing in the upper register, which doesn’t suit his voice at all, unless he simply can’t do it anymore

I always thought that Coverdale had one of the great rock voices in early Whitesnake, late DP and first couple of solo albums. Up there with Rodgers, Marriot and co. 

I think that the move to the higher register was an 80s commercial thing. It never did his voice any favours and he has really lost it these days.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I missed this post first time around! 

On 11/05/2020 at 17:49, Leonard Smalls said:

May I refer the honourable gentleman to Juna Serita doing a proper slap version of What is Hip... Funky as!

Completely agree with Reggaebass's post earlier on the other slap bass thread today:

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I normally know fairly quickly whether I’m going to like a slap video, the groove has to get me first, then the sound/tone of it, I do struggle a bit to get a nice slap tone, it’s either too bassy or too twangy, but that’s probably my poor playing 😁, this one has a nice groove and sounds great to me , and the double thumbing is amazing. 

Listening through a decent set of speakers / headphones the tone on opening bass riff to me has a P bass sweetness, even though obviously she's not playing a P. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised it's a Sadowsky.

And her 30 second bass solo at 3.27 both sounds great and is technically superb.

Damn they're good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During my deliberations/investigations into my eventual Fender JMJ Mustang purchase, I came across these two videos. These pretty much sealed the deal for me tonally.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

During my deliberations/investigations into my eventual Fender JMJ Mustang purchase, I came across this two videos. These pretty much sealed the deal for me tonally.

Nice tone and an excellent example of a good left hand technique. No stretching, 1FPF or any other shenanigans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

The fabulous John Wetton -  ye olde creamey bass tone and great bass line.

Choon!

Always reminds me of when I first started frequenting pubs regularly (very late 70s) - this was always on the jukebox at the Vaults Bar in Bradford! 

• Like 2

And a bit more on Wetton for us JW lovers, particularly around the 72-74  era with Crimson's   Starless,  Lark’s Tongue in Aspic and  Red albums

61 Fender Precision ,  Italian-made Jen Double Sound Fuzz/Wah  ,  Hiwatt valve heads ,  Cerwin-Vega 4×12 cab - EV drivers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

And a bit more on Wetton for us JW lovers, particularly around the 72-74  era with Crimson's   Starless,  Lark’s Tongue in Aspic and  Red albums

61 Fender Precision ,  Italian-made Jen Double Sound Fuzz/Wah  ,  Hiwatt valve heads ,  Cerwin-Vega 4×12 cab - EV drivers

This IS bass tone.

• Like 1

Having seen the Police on a few occasions,for me the tone that Sting conjured up during the early days  was music to my ears,and was one of the reasons why i first picked up a Bass back  in 81 after seeing them at the Spa Hall Bridlington ,classic it was.

8 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Probably a Wal with a flip ton of effects

Cheers!

Funnily enough it is a Wal through my pedalboard using a chunk of Future Impact mainly coming in on the lower frequencies, then there's a tiny bit of  Bass Whammy octave all blended with clean with Wounded Paw blender, then through my BBE preamp (with a touch of compression) and into Ableton where there's a touch more compression and a waft of dub delay...

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
On 27/03/2021 at 18:38, peteb said:

Choon!

Always reminds me of when I first started frequenting pubs regularly (very late 70s) - this was always on the jukebox at the Vaults Bar in Bradford! 

Ah, the Vaults bar in Bradford, I spent many a drunken evening in there. I don’t particularly remember that track but to be fair I was probably too drunk to remember much at all TBH!

I do however remember listening a lot to Providence on King Crimson’s Red album and John Wetton’s bass solo in the last third of the track is just epic. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

So to ask a daft question, that's a very flat sound for a Stingray.  How did he get that?

Don't know really. Roll a fair bit of treble off I'd guess and don't use brand new strings is where I'd start. They sound like round wounds to me but without the zingyness of a new set.

I watched Coldplay at Whitby Abbey on the beeb last weekend and Guy Berryman's tone was pretty blooming awesome. Looked like a Precision of some kind and I think he uses Hiwatt amplification. A mix of plectrum and finger style and flats I think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09g9vhn/radio-1s-big-weekend-2021-coldplay

Edited by King Tut