Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Trapeze can do little wrong, Glenn (bass and vocals wise) can do no wrong at all

Yeah! Not sure who originally bestowed the title "The Voice of Rock" on him (The KLF perhaps), but totally worthy, IMO!

59 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Bet with those skinny arms he isn't lifting any of that stuff himself.... 😀

Great bass tone, terrible syrup... 😁

I thought for a second that I'd inadvertently stumbled onto Daily Mail comments 😕😉

As we're on the subject - I did a couple of gigs with him in 2019, and we chatted. I don't recall thinking, "oh, he's wearing a syrup", just thought that he was a very nice, and humble chap.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Yeah! Not sure who originally bestowed the title "The Voice of Rock" on him (The KLF perhaps), but totally worthy, IMO!

I thought for a second that I'd inadvertently stumbled onto Daily Mail comments 😕😉

As we're on the subject - I did a couple of gigs with him in 2019, and we chatted. I don't recall thinking, "oh, he's wearing a syrup", just thought that he was a very nice, and humble chap.

That’s amazing congrats.

I always thought he was a genuine person and one of the times I saw him perform it was the day after his mother died, and he still did the most wonderful heart felt Gig - he is a true great

Don't get me wrong, I love Glenn H (I even liked Hughes/Thrall back in the day), him and Jimmy Barnes (oh, and Sammy H, and he's even older) are the last great rock voices that can still do it, and his tone is constantly great whatever he's using - last time I saw him live was a few years ago and he was using a Laney Tube head, and that was epic, too.

If it ain't a syrup, tho, it's still a silly hairdo...apologies if I've touched a nerve with anyone... 😀

Dave Coverdale is looking more like Zelda from Terrahawks every time I see him, tho... 😀

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Dave Coverdale is looking more like Zelda from Terrahawks every time I see him, tho... 😀

That is so very apt 😂

I don't feel he has been the same since he had his nose and teeth 'fixed' and used to sing in lower registers.  Instead of that strange Mr Punch thing he has going on now. 

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That is so very apt 😂

I don't feel he has been the same since he had his nose and teeth 'fixed' and used to sing in lower registers.  Instead of that strange Mr Punch thing he has going on now. 

He had one of the best voices in rock singing in his lower register. Totally defeats me why he would abandon that to sing in the upper register, which doesn’t suit his voice at all, unless he simply can’t do it anymore. 

• Like 2

I saw Whitesnake with Thunder and Journey probably ten years ago, and I was thinking it all sounded a bit downtuned (plus the bassist's bottom string looked verrrry floppy) - they held a long open E long enough for my phone tuner (I knowwwwww, tragic, etc) to register they were downtuned to C...

Edited by Muzz

Can't remember if I posted this or not but it came up in my mp3 shuffle this morning.  Europa, Carlos Santana.  Great P bass tone.  And, incidentally, I can get almost this exact tone out of my Harley Benton PB Shorty, strung with TI flats, when I run it through the TC Spectradrive 'Clean Boost' patch and a little mid boost.  Almost exactly.  Makes me smile :) 

Edited by Paul S

24 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Can't remember if I posted this or not but it came up in my mp3 shuffle this morning.  Europa, Carlos Santana.  Great P bass tone.  And, incidentally, I can get almost this exact tone out of my Harley Benton PB Shorty, strung with TI flats, when I run it through the TC Spectradrive 'Clean Boost' patch and a little mid boost.  Almost exactly.  Makes me smile :) 

I hear that’s what he used on the original track too. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...