Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I am always fascinated how what sounds like fantastic bass tone in a song, once isolated, sounds nothing like you expect.

Sounds awesome either way to me. 
This is interesting given it’s from the same album, same bass & rig but recorded in a different place, disregarding eq etc:

• Like 3

As I had my rig plugged in, just tried copping the Glover sound with my 2 ‘72 4001 basses. It was interesting to me that I had to roll my neck pickups off by about a third compared to my normal sound. FWIW the neck pickups on the old basses tend to be noticeably louder than the bridge pickups, the opposite of the modern basses.

56 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Sounds awesome either way to me. 
This is interesting given it’s from the same album, same bass & rig but recorded in a different place, disregarding eq etc:

Fabulous.  I've never heard it isolated before.  Underscores why Glover is my all time favourite bassist.  Some of those fills are just so melodic.

17 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Fabulous.  I've never heard it isolated before.  Underscores why Glover is my all time favourite bassist.  Some of those fills are just so melodic.

A bit baffling why Ritchie didn’t rate him tbh. I really like Glenn Hughes, but I wouldn’t say he’s a better player than Rog. Different, yes. Although of course there are the vocals too. 

On 25/09/2020 at 06:05, alexa3020 said:

The tone on the live version of a forest by the cure.

I think it sounds much bigger and more aggressive than the lp version which is quite minimalist.

As others have said, it’s all about context of where it sits in the mix with other instruments. I think the tone here is perfect for the song

Bass player's changed quite a lot since I last heard that track!

2012-11-11_3.thumb.JPG.7f818e412cf7e84b8f9742b138588417.JPG

2012-11-11_4.JPG

Edited by Piers_Williamson

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Although it's wonderful to hear in isolation,  in this instance the bass sounds exactly how I expected - it's not exactly tucked away on the record!

It may be partly the isolation process, but to me these tracks always sound more middly, more handling noise, much less even between notes and more 'human' timing but always very different from what you might hear from a demo of a bass rig...

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It may be partly the isolation process, but to me these tracks always sound more middly, more handling noise, much less even between notes and more 'human' timing but always very different from what you might hear from a demo of a bass rig...

That’s likely because, theoretically at least, demos of bass rigs are about sounding good in isolation (although FWIW, most demos on YouTube sound bloody awful to me; if someone demo-d a rig and got something like Roger’s isolated sound I’d think that was a fab sound). 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

I've had to move my 'office' into my workshop.

This is good as it means I have my TE combo set up and switched on all day and, presently, a jazz bass in reach from my chair.

I have input gain nice and high, the pre-shape in, balanced by a gentle 3db lift centred on about 2kHz, usually no effects.

I find I can spend ages just playing simple riffs or just single notes, especially on my Jazz where playing with the volumes (I generally leave the tone right up unless playing reggae) and moving my playing position gives me a huge range of wonderful sounds.

I am very, very happy with the tones I am getting.

• Like 1