Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

On 13/12/2020 at 15:34, Paul S said:

Love the tone in this.  Yamaha miming in the video, certainly sounds like it could be.

Nice tone, and an even better bass line; it's what he doesn't play in this that sets it apart - there's air and space in there...I had to learn this a while back, and it surprised me...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Japhet - nice! Another P bass with flats?

Likely his Gibson EB bass at this point. He also had a Ricky and an early Alembic around this time and the P-Bass came a little later.

He always played exactly the right thing, allowing space, grooving with the drums but still carving his own melodies. Fantastic player!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Nice tone, and an even better bass line; it's what he doesn't play in this that sets it apart - there's air and space in there...I had to learn this a while back, and it surprised me...

Indeed, it had passed me by at the time other than the nice opening chords but my ex-band decided to do it and I discovered what a joy it is to play :)  

• Like 1

I don't have an absolute favourite but I will post some that are up there.

There are a few, the last one is the one that made me want to play bass. I don't know specifically what it was about that track when I first heard it but listening with more musically educated ears, it may have been that it is more melodic nature and the way it flows with the lyrics without ever losing the groove and still sounds like a reggae bass line. I have met Aston a few times over the years and thanked him for bringing me to music.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Troy gets a tone to die for on this - using a Jazz (and the guy has got a Ricky...)

Do you know this guy personally SM? I've always been very impressed by his YT demos - he seems to totally nail the covers he's playing. 

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Do you know this guy personally SM? I've always been very impressed by his YT demos - he seems to totally nail the covers he's playing. 

No, although we've exchanged a few comments on his videos. He comes over as a really decent guy.

I'm always struck by how easy it is to follow his videos (perhaps with 0.5x speed for the tricky bits) and they always seem to be much more accurate than most tab.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed!

Do know what pups he's got on that? I always loved the build quality of my Sandberg TM4 but my Delano pups never got close to that tone (too polite / hi-fi etc - all well trodden ground from me). Looks like he's using flats although I wasn't 100% certain? Again be interesting to know if that's a "pure" bass tone or, if not, what signal chain he had in between.

• Like 1

Sounds pretty raw and unprocessed (in a good way). Quick email to the BTW guys and I'm sure they'd share the signal chain. I think BTW may have a video on this bass too - they do say it's their fav jazz and it get's a lot of playing especially on the earlier stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I am always fascinated how what sounds like fantastic bass tone in a song, once isolated, sounds nothing like you expect.

I know what you mean - hear enough isolated tracks you start to get a feel of what stuff will sound like once stripped back