Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I think he's maybe got this - Kemper Profiler Stage. Which is probably as good as multifx gets currently! (£1,433 from Thomann)

Kemper Profiler Stage – Thomann UK

I'm going to wait 10 years until they're selling on Reverb for £143 because software updates are no longer supported.

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I think he's maybe got this - Kemper Profiler Stage. Which is probably as good as multifx gets currently! (£1,433 from Thomann)

Kemper Profiler Stage – Thomann UK

That’s a bit strange, pretty sure your original post suggested it was the Boss core GT1000 with the expression hidden by angles?

I know you were thinking about the Boss, has this changed your mind to the Kemper?

1 hour ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Chris Squire. (although solo'ed tracks sound so tinny)

John Wetton with King Crimson (especially live, what command of tone and amp)

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey (and I REALLY hate that band) 

Nailed it. Prog stalwarts are tone kings but the Journey is mixed insanely loud like 'Time and a Word' but it is a good tone.

5 hours ago, bartelby said:

Yeah. There was definitely a GT1000 in that post yesterday. 

Haha, it was clearly a very slow day at work for you yesterday. But you've sadly just missed out on a gold star for your detective work.

Folk are allowed to edit their posts, as you did, right? And I think you'll find I corrected my guess (although still not as good as yours), even before you had posted. 

You just needed to check the time stamps 😉

Right, back to the more interesting stuff of checking out Mr Mandrel's clip...😁

Edited by Al Krow
cos I can
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I was just looking for another video and came across this one I had saved from about 3 years ago because I liked the tone and playing 

Nice tone. I wonder what signal chain he was putting it through? Lots of clarity, sustain and presence. I'd be half tempted to guess a VTDI. And then tone dialled down for the more mellow parts? 

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I always liked George Perry's tone on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2e2kC-geMI

Whereas from the sound and brief hazy clip at around 2.50 this would appear to be classic P bass? (And very tasty all the same!)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 13/12/2020 at 14:29, Conan said:

Lol, I actually only played on the outro ( the bit with the sliding harmonics). The walking bass was sequenced by the producer, John Robie, on a double bass sample. It was about the last thing we did on that album and by then I was thoroughly sick of Robie and didnt bother going in for the session.

Edited by Spoombung
  • Like 2