Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

Quite revealing / useful hearing the isolated tracks, so thanks a heap, matey, for re-doing these for us.

IMO the C4 no longer comes off as the poor cousin, in comparison to the FI, as when you over-layed them over the orignal tracks. The FI is certainly a sweeter / more rounded tone whereas the C4 is grittier. I wonder if the FI sounded better over-layed simply because it was jarring less with the original bass line? 

If we were able to strip out the original bass line and simply overlay your synth bass lines, I suspect the C4 would also sound pretty good / be very "usable".  Two very capable pedals!

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Quite revealing / useful hearing the isolated tracks, so thanks a heap, matey, for re-doing these for us.

IMO the C4 no longer comes off as the poor cousin, in comparison to the FI, as when you over-layed them over the orignal tracks. The FI is certainly a sweeter / more rounded tone whereas the C4 is grittier. I wonder if the FI sounded better over-layed simply because it was jarring less with the original bass line? 

If we were able to strip out the original bass line and simply overlay your synth bass lines, I suspect the C4 would also sound pretty good / be very "usable".  Two very capable pedals!

I tweaked the C4 patch as I wasn’t happy with it. So the isolated version isn’t the same as the one heard in the clip yesterday. That had a bit too much high end and too slow an attack. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

C4 is totally usable, but not able to nail the exact envelope shape like the FI can. 

14 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Done 😉 

And FWIW if I had a C4 or FI they would certainly be patches I would defo want to download! It's exactly the sort of quality "usable" stuff that bassists should be willing to pay for, particularly if they are, themselves, going to be using them on paid gigs.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Cheers @Al Krow, I was only kidding but really appreciate the gesture. Thanks very much for the funds!

I know you were pulling my leg matey, but you do an absolute ton for free for your fellow BC'ers and more widely - and it is greatly appreciated.

Frankly there are very few of us who would be willing to do a pub covers gig without charging! I completely don't get why one piece of musical talent should be paid and the other not. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2020 at 18:35, krispn said:

The whole track borrows heavily from the Dua Lipa Future Nostalgia album sound. Similar sound to my ear.

I would say so.

On 08/11/2020 at 11:20, Al Krow said:

In relation to your question on synth emulation vs synth waveform generation - well it's quite a significant point IMO. I'll leave our recognised gurus e.g. @Woodinblack or @Quatschmacher to go into detail if you're wanting any more on that point, as they will no doubt be able to explain it far better than me.

Only just saw this. I don't think I ever used the term 'emulation' as I don't think it is possible to emulate a synth, seeing as a synth is fundamentally synthetic in the first place!

The difference that I had explained between the SY (< 1000) series and the GR series is that the GR is an actual synth (ie, you can stick midi in and play it with a keyboard, and take midi out and feed it to a keyboard), so the string (every single string isolated) is taken in, it works out the frequency if each note and triggers, and feed those frequency to a set of oscilators and the triggers an envelope filter, and generates a sound, same as if the frequency and trigger came from a keyboard.

The SY (<1000) series takes the waveform coming from the bass (singular - mixed waveform) and uses that in place of the oscilators. Plus side, instant, no latency, Minus side, you still never know what notes they were so you can't change them easily.

But it appears the SY1000 has both.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Always like the bass tone of Dua Lipa's bass player.

Couldn't make out what bass and multifx he's using - love to know

I assume whatever he has that can make him sound like the original programmed bass track on the album.

Looks like an old vox, but probably isn't. Can't see anything like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Looks like an old vox, but probably isn't. Can't see anything like that.

Had a look round the web, I can't see anything that has two rows of footswitches like that and a screen on the edge but doesn't have a rocker pedal on it.

Did they genuinely use a casette to do the last song?

42 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Had a look round the web, I can't see anything that has two rows of footswitches like that and a screen on the edge but doesn't have a rocker pedal on it.

Did they genuinely use a casette to do the last song?

I think he's maybe got this - Kemper Profiler Stage. Which is probably as good as multifx gets currently! (£1,433 from Thomann)

Kemper Profiler Stage – Thomann UK

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You've raised the bar with your analysis gents! 😁

It's my long work day and I'm in the office for the first time in 9 months. I needed something to relieve the boredom. Still only 105 minutes until I get to go home... :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bartelby said:

It's my long work day and I'm in the office for the first time in 9 months. I needed something to relieve the boredom. Still only 105 minutes until I get to go home... :D

We clearly need to get you into the office more often! 😁

PS just 102 mins to go now...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Loving that. Thanks for sharing. 

Looks like a modern Fender PJ with the Noiseless pickups. Guessing a Kemper floor? Can't quite make it out but the Kemper seems a logical 'nowadays' choice for going straight into the desk for modelling stuff. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Some REALLY clever directing there, they're all socially distanced in a TV studio but, thanks to depth of field, and tasteful location of accessorised shelving, the shots are framed in such a way that you never get the impression they're so spread out.