Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

4 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Martin Turner on Wishbone Ash - Sometime World, both the first and the second halves....

Great tone. Opinion is divided as to what bass was used, but it’s either a Ric (MT has said it was one in the past) or a T’Bird (which others say it is).

The tone on the live version of a forest by the cure.

I think it sounds much bigger and more aggressive than the lp version which is quite minimalist.

As others have said, it’s all about context of where it sits in the mix with other instruments. I think the tone here is perfect for the song

Edited by alexa3020
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

The tone on the live version of a forest by the cure.

I think it sounds much bigger and more aggressive than the lp version which is quite minimalist.

As others have said, it’s all about context of where it sits in the mix with other instruments. I think the tone here is perfect for the song

Sounds like he's using a coin for a pick, too.  Surprising to see entire families there too! 

• Like 1

Well there's a coincidence, I was just about to post that I've always loved the bass tone, and how it sits, on The Cure's live Entreat album. I love the 'grindiness' of it. 

and possibly the best version of Disintegration recorded by them, 

• Like 1

If  you like lead style bass played with a pick then IMO the first two New Model Army albums with Stuart Morrow are musts. Terrific tone

Also the bass tone throughout ABC's Lexicon of Love are bang on the money

And following on from the previous post yes here is original Cure bassman Michael Dempsey and an example of his exemplary pick playing with The Associates.  A badly underrated player

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

If  you like lead style bass played with a pick then IMO the first two New Model Army albums with Stuart Morrow are musts. Terrific tone

Also the bass tone throughout ABC's Lexicon of Love are bang on the money

And Michael Dempsey's  pick playing on Sulk and Fourth Drawer Down by The Associates.  A well underrated player

Absolutely agree about Stuart Morrow. Smalltown England's bassline is so simple yet it sounds absolutely perfect, such a great tone. 

• Like 1

My 'go tos' are:

Jack Bruce - Cozy Powell - Over The Top

Jaco Pastorius - various

Jeff Berlin - Bruford. His sound in recent recordings is really strong too.

Jimmy Johnson - Wayne Johnson Trio

Percy Jones/John Giblin - Brand X

Anthony Jackson - almost everything but not when he has that bloody flanger thing on.

Others include Andy West (Dixie Dregs), Richard Nolan (It Bites).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Always loved this line, might be synth

The "chorus" bass line (first at 029 to 041) sounds like its played with pick up at the dusty end. No way was that bit a synth - good that we aren't completely usurped by electronica just yet!

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The "chorus" bass line (first at 029 to 041) sounds like its played with pick up at the dusty end. No way was that bit a synth - good that we aren't completely usurped by electronica just yet!

Indeed!!

What do you think of the verse bass line? I always thought front PUP of a 4003 on flats with a pic?

On 12/04/2020 at 19:51, Lozz196 said:

Eton Rifles by The Jam - Bruce Foxton using a Fender Precision, think he used Marshall amps at the time

This is the very definition of a bass tone that blew me away. It's what made me pick up a bass in the first place and whenever I hear that record I still tune out everything else and just listen to the bass. 

When I recorded with an originals band many years ago I achieved quite a close sound using a Trace SMX pre into the desk, using a Precision and pick of course.

• Like 2

It's one of the classic examples of Jaco Pastorius' fretless playing behind a song, and I've heard it cited as one of those tracks which were influential in people deciding to take up fretless bass.

Fretless (he supposedly did the job himself) Jazz bass with distinct leaning to the bridge pickup. Classic tone, although some folks these days really don't go for it.

Deffo go for the headphones, though.. I love this track! :)

Edited by hubrad
  • Like 1

Well that's a big encouragement to pick up my fretless Ibby Portamento then, which has lain untouched for far too long! If a fretless can fool a middle aged bass player with poor speakers on his mum's PC into thinking it's an upright, it's gotta have something going for it, eh? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1