Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

Extra votes for JJB in the Stranglers...a particular fave is the intro to The Raven. (fender p bass)

Bruce   Foxton Too....Start and Elton Rifles

Jaco on Shadows and Light by Joni....

wow.

Tony Levin Sledgehammer..... MM.....

Geddy Lee on Moving Pictures...

Forget Me Nots....Freddie Washington...

I Wish, Do ain’t Do and Sir Duke by Nathan Watts...

• Like 2

My two pennies' worth. both songs tart with a guitar riff and then the bass comes in and makes it something really special:

Matt Freeman - P-Bass pick perfection:

Jonathan Gallant - Stingray I think - I'm not usually a fan but I love what this guy does with it:

18 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I bought this dvd when it came out, and when I heard Jonathan Noyce's tone, highlighted nicely here, I knew I'd found what I wanted, so full, with a touch of grit.  Of course, reproducing it without carting round an effing great Ampeg stack....not quite so easy......

15 hours ago, Bankai said:

an excellent choice! I always loved this live version.

Its the version my band does, absolutely love it!  Still not there with the tone though.......

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BigRedX said:

point me at a track where Mick Karn sounds better than he does on any track off Quiet Life

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

Swing and  My New Career on Gentleman Take Polaroids

37 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Which are both played on the Travis Bean.

Thats not what you asked.  See your own post

Eddie Jackson with his Spector NS2 and a Gallien Krueger GK800RB amp being driven to hit the rails. The 'holy grail' of bass tone imho. Listen to that growl on the low D..... 😍 😍 😍

And here..... the punch and growl! Mmmmmmmm........

'Nuff said.......

• Like 8

On 13/04/2020 at 10:39, TrevorR said:

Tiran Porter’s tone on this track sends shivers down my spine! 

Yep. Clear, bold, full and right on point. Love Tiran..... his playing, his tone, his note choice AND the 'space' he leaves....!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

One i had forgot was this. (Cetera's triggered this memory for me from 76 :laugh1:)

Loved his tone from the Destroyer album

Oh yes!! Can't believe I forgot this! One of the first bass tones that really GOT me! Proper growl and almost sounds like there's a slight reverb or something in it. Fantastic!

• Like 2

These are mine at the moment: 

Vigier Passion 5

Alembic Series 2 graphite 5 string (unicorn bass, realistically - only a handful in existence and this one is now a fretless)

Hagstrom Super Swede reissue

I really like hearing focussed and growly mids if I'm on stage amongst a loud foldback mix.  It makes it easier to hear what note is being played without looking down at my left hand constantly.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kiwi said:

These are mine at the moment: 

Vigier Passion 5

Alembic Series 2 graphite 5 string (unicorn bass, realistically - only a handful in existence and this one is now a fretless)

Hagstrom Super Swede reissue

I really like hearing focussed and growly mids if I'm on stage amongst a loud foldback mix.  It makes it easier to hear what note is being played without looking down at my left hand constantly.

Love Alembic tone when its played in a song but i find them very treble and rattly when solo'd like that. It sounded fantastic within the song with a nice full but clear mid punch and then the solo it went thin and treble sounding. Would still love one.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Love Alembic tone when its played in a song but i find them very treble and rattly when solo'd like that. It sounded fantastic within the song with a nice full but clear mid punch and then the solo it went thin and treble sounding. Would still love one.

Dave

IMO Alembic are one of the few basses I like solo-d. Jimmy’s tone - and playing - is stellar. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

IMO Alembic are one of the few basses I like solo-d. Jimmy’s tone - and playing - is stellar. 

Not knocking his playing at all. Its just the bass tone gets weak and lot of fret rattles. When he hits the lower notes it seems fine. I'm using Beyer D headphones too so its not because of the laptop. 

I've noted that with others playing them too. Stanley Clarke tone i find the same. Again an excellent player but his tone weakens. I guess its just a personal taste thing.

I would still love an Alembic. Any version to be honest as i love how they sound in a band. No other bass sounds quite like them.

Dave