Why become a member? ×

Blown away by the bass tone

Al Krow

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Simple bass line but works so well and sounds so good! 

The track was recorded with a 60s Jazz bass strung with EB Super Slinkys into a Demeter tube DI. 

Cool information, thanks 

3 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Simple bass line but works so well and sounds so good! 

The track was recorded with a 60s Jazz bass strung with EB Super Slinkys into a Demeter tube DI. 

That song does have a nice bass tone to it doesn't it.  I was always a Alex Katunich fan, he popped up on my YouTube feed a couple of days ago promoting his new band (Eadt of June). 

Surprised to hear this was recorded with a 60s Jazz, I always assumed it was recorded with one of his Warwick Streamers.

I bought this dvd when it came out, and when I heard Jonathan Noyce's tone, highlighted nicely here, I knew I'd found what I wanted, so full, with a touch of grit.  Of course, reproducing it without carting round an effing great Ampeg stack....not quite so easy......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Anything by Mick Karn playing a Wal.

No, no, no!!

IMO he sounded loads better with the Travis Bean, it had all the right weird characteristics but was nicely understated (and the result of more than a bit of studio trickery where, IIRC from an interview, the higher register parts only were double tracked to make them stand out).

But contrast the Wal was like a caricature and cliché of his sound. And besides the vast majority of his best known work was done before he acquired the Wal.

• Like 2

The first time a bass tone really stood out for me and really struck me was when listening to The Gathering's album "How to measure a planet". It came out in 1998, and I got it for my 16th birthday. The albums before HTMAP were very much metal, and I was kinda expecting more of that, but was blown away by their new musical direction and the tone of all the instruments on the album. I really really really wanted to play guitar back then, but instead found myself playing air bass to the distorted riff that begins at 4:40:

I believe it is a Stingray through a distortion pedal, and it's not particularly nice but it's bright and fat and saturated and it really hit me. 

Placebo’s first 2 albums.

Theres a song called “Hang On To Your IQ” and that’s a great bass tone - Jazz Bass played with a pick into an Ampeg.

Not my playing style at all - but great.

Maybe - upon review...a very mild chorus effect too.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I bought this dvd when it came out, and when I heard Jonathan Noyce's tone, highlighted nicely here, I knew I'd found what I wanted, so full, with a touch of grit.  Of course, reproducing it without carting round an effing great Ampeg stack....not quite so easy......

an excellent choice! I always loved this live version.

• Thanks 1

This was always a big one for me. Without him changing any effects or settings, I loved the dynamic range that came out of his set-up and it introduced serious Thumb GAS in me for a while. The chorus, verse, bridge, outro, they all have a distinct feel and sound. Mostly down to technique but Warwick does contribute significantly to the tone!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Marcus Miller's slap tone on Renaissance is what I'm striving to get close to.   I've spent quite a lot of time with my Helix trying to get the right levels of compression and EQ to get near it.

I like this tone to. Share those helix settings if you find something close please. 😃👍🏻

His tone live is also something else! It’s all in that jazz bass! Which I may be wrong has a Sadowsky pre amp... ? 

Edited by bassfan