Why become a member? ×

NBD - Rob Allen MB2

Basilpea

I was idly doing my daily trawl of the web for a Rob Allen, when there on page 5 of Google one popped up.  It was up in the wild and woolly badlands of Lancashire but serendipitously I was going near there anyway the following week. I got to the shop and found it to be an immaculate example, although unfortunately without the original Rob Allen case, it had a Hiscox one instead.  They had priced it rather optimistically, then discounted it but not enough for my liking, so we had a conversation about the price and eventually came to one that we could both live with - I emerged smiling from the emporium with something of a spring in my step (not something that happens very often these days).  This was all just a few days prior to the CV19 lockdown.  

I've since had ample opportunity to put it through it's paces.  I must first say the fit and finish of everything is faultless, one thing I noticed is the tone control appears to make almost no difference.  Not sure if that's normal or if it's faulty, but the effect of min to max is almost imperceptible to my ears.  The other thing I've noticed is when silent practicing through headphones (I just use a Focusrite 6i6 mixer to add a backing from iReal Pro/youtube/Sightreading Factory etc) there is so much going on in the harmonics & mwah department, I almost find it difficult to identify the fundamental.  It is of course different when run through an amp & cab (Tonehammer 500 or ABM500 + Barefaced Big Twin), I'm wondering if the headphone set-up is a bit too "Hi-fi", the headphones are Sennheiser HD600's.  I have found the best way to mitigate this problem is with a Nordymute.  Changing the strings to Rotosound RS88's did make a big difference, but I think that's going away from what the bass should sound like, and the important thing is not what it sounds like while I'm practicing.  Haven't had the chance to try it on a gig yet. 

So no doubt you are wondering why am I selling the 5 string when I have just bought a 4 string?  Well, just prior to this all happening, I located a Rick Turner Renaissance  5 string, and agreed to buy it, but was not able to pick it up before the lockdown, so there will be another NBD just as soon as I'm allowed to make the totally unnecessary journey to collect it.  Meanwhile I have enough to be getting on with.  Not sure if I'll sell my fretless Starbass 4, I may just keep it as a spare as it's like an old friend, or a comfy old pair of slippers.

Here are some more photos - not one of my strongpoints but hopefully better than the others I posted.

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3584.jpeg

IMG_3583.jpeg

IMG_3582.jpeg

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3580.jpeg

IMG_3579.jpeg

IMG_3578.jpeg

IMG_3576.jpeg

IMG_3575.jpeg

IMG_3574.jpeg

IMG_3573.jpeg

• Like 7

The tone control is very subtle and adds the most modest amount of sheen on the sound; I run mine wide open. 

I also find MB2 a bit much through headphones sometimes, so I just turn the volume down on the bass as the signal is very hot.

I was wondering why you went for a 4 string one but with Renaissance incoming, it now makes sense. 

24 minutes ago, Tubster said:

That's a beauty. You mention a 'tone control', the one I had (as per my Mouse) only has a single volume and that's it. Did Rob offer a concentric pot or something?

The tone control on my MB2 is a preset accessible through a hole in the rear cover.

23 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The tone control is very subtle and adds the most modest amount of sheen on the sound; I run mine wide open. 

I also find MB2 a bit much through headphones sometimes, so I just turn the volume down on the bass as the signal is very hot.

I was wondering why you went for a 4 string one but with Renaissance incoming, it now makes sense. 

Yes it's certainly subtle compared to the Warwicks I've been used to, at least I know it's not faulty now.

Gain up and volume down on the bass does give a much less confusing sound on the 'phones.

Thanks

I thought the tone control was in the back as per the Rob Allen site...

Is there a tone control? yes, Mb-2 and Mouse 30 basses have a passive high trim control located in the back cavity. You can access this through a small hole in the back plate with a small straight screwdriver. Wide open (full clockwise) is "flat", and as you back it off (counter clockwise), you will reduce high end. This is a subtle control, and is mostly to fine tune how much finger noise and articulation you want in your sound. I think of it as a master control, a "set it and forget it" that you can fine tune the overall sound with.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I thought the tone control was in the back as per the Rob Allen site...

Is there a tone control? yes, Mb-2 and Mouse 30 basses have a passive high trim control located in the back cavity. You can access this through a small hole in the back plate with a small straight screwdriver. Wide open (full clockwise) is "flat", and as you back it off (counter clockwise), you will reduce high end. This is a subtle control, and is mostly to fine tune how much finger noise and articulation you want in your sound. I think of it as a master control, a "set it and forget it" that you can fine tune the overall sound with.

You are correct, sir.

• Thanks 1

What a gorgeous bass.

Rob Allen is one of those dream basses on my G.A.S list, and one day I'll finally own one. For now, my Ibanez SRH500F (which is sort of a poor man's Rob Allen) with La Bella black nylon tapewounds is holding the fort down for my fretless semi-hollow body needs. 

49 minutes ago, Storky said:

Love them. I’ve got two fretted Rob Allens; a 5 string Mouse and a MB2. Would love to get a Deep 4 or 5 though.

I think you have more stock than Rob Allen does according to his website.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Grantd said:

Ive been looking for one of these, congrats @Basilpea

I couldn't find one, so I opted for the one that marked as sold on Rob's site - walnut with a f hole. I can't wait. I really think these are something special.

That looks great as well, I particularly like the‘F’ hole on it and the walnut is handsome. Look forward to more pictures when it arrives.

8 hours ago, Grantd said:

I couldn't find one, so I opted for the one that marked as sold on Rob's site - walnut with a f hole. I can't wait. I really think these are something special.

Lovely! Be interested to hear your thoughts when you get it.

On 14/04/2020 at 12:54, Grantd said:

I would have bought that one, except I prefer not to have lines on the fingerboard.  Love the 'f hole', and the walnut looks great.