Why become a member? ×

Yet another string Identification thread!

Matt P

As there seems to be a fair amount of talk about strings at the moment, and i've got very little else to do i have finally taken some (hopefully) clear photos of the strings on my precision bass.

I bought this bass almost 10 years ago and the previous owner had fitted a set of used flats that they found in a cupboard, these most likely came off a bass that they bought then strung up with something else so he has no idea what they are, the gentleman who set up the bass didn't know either.

they have a great sound and i have adjusted nothing on this bass since i bought it, it just sounds and feels right so i have left it alone.

does anyone have any idea what these strings are? I'd love to be able to fit the same ones to another bass or just to be able to have a spare set if the unthinkable happens and i break a string.

Thanks in advance

Matt

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0185.JPG

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 15:00, Beer of the Bass said:

The silks, surface texture and ball ends look like Ernie Ball flatwounds, not the newer cobalt ones but the older style.

I agree.  Ernie Balls defo.  They distinguish their gauges by called them "groups".  Nice strings, more a modern flatwound, especially when new, lots of sustain and overtones

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Beer of the Bass and @Pow_22  that seems to be fairly conclusive,  the comment about them sounding more modern is a bit of a contradiction to me as this bass has the most classic/vintage sound of anything i have played, it's probably because the strings are so old or possibly because it is an older bass (1977 or thereabouts)

I'm going to have to keep an eye on the classifieds for a used set of Ernie ball flatwounds by the sound of it

Thank you again.

Matt