Why become a member? ×

Tiny tiny UB mimic..?

GrumpyBassist

Okay... apologies if this is in the wrong place but I honestly don't know where it belongs...

Years and years ago... in The Bass Place. Nun Street... the home (as you will know) of one Howard and one Pete... I played the smallest bass I ever played or even saw.

It was a tiny thing (I'm guessing a scale of no more than 18-20"?) with big big tubular rubber strings and a fretless fingerboard with 'painted' markers which were (in my mind now) no distance apart at all... it was a nightmare and truly hideous (I'm talking a badly designed Aria/Pignose) but... for some reason this popped into me head a couple of days ago and... I want one..!!

Any clues as to what this ugly little monster might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is this it?

guild+ashbory+ad.JPG

Later re-issued by Fender as the DeArmond Ashbory (comparison here) and even later re-booted by The Bass Centre as a more conventionally shaped item with 21" scale rather than the original 18" scale ↓

FUvMrCVWxDFcNyQsByQKXcAIu83_fZ5QUxbsv1AaVcBkQwqwmY1Khr9PoPaLNjs6-TBOh_IOPULRrhRzNIhaeWcBBe7vRdc-HU0dGUw4R2g8Yo84ejv_Cfpuppe3pND0QA

Edit for: Dannybuoy and the OP beat me to it :lol:

Edited by skankdelvar

I think so... cheers.

It was definitely the ugly one though... pre 'mainstream bass or guitar looking' body version. I hate it when people use the word "rare" in their descriptions though... just means I'll be paying over the odds and if and when I actually get one... I'll probably hate it.

All good though... thanks You have no idea just what search terms I've used not to find this little bugger..!

• Like 1

i believe that quite a few people have been fitting the uke bass strings to their ashbory basses, they are supposed to be a bit more useable than the originals (and there is quite a range available now) i have thunder reds fitted to my Kala U-bass.

(i also have fond memories of the bass place on Nun street, it was part of my weekly trawl round Newcastle, usually just after a browse in Spenders across the road.)

Matt