bouvier

Trying To Convince The Wife I Need Some More....

Sometimes when trying to explain why there is a need for another bass, guitar, pedal or amp becomes difficult, you have to think of novel ideas.   Anyone got any......  I have a hankering for Thunderbird, Firebird, Esquire and the odd pedal.

image.png.2f7322c29fff7f6ac86fb06ac3edb728.png

you need  blue, green and purple basses. Shocking you havent got one of each.

No maple fingerboard, no unlined fretless, no fiver, no sixer, no 8 strings octave bass, no double bass, no EUB, no real ERB (more than 6 strings), no Zon Hyperbass, no 8x10, no heavy all tubes head, ... and so much spare room.

C'mon ! 🤣

• Haha 1

I see: You have bought those tiny things with 6 strings! Ha, a good strategy! Every now and then "it just grew a bit" and you have a new bass. Genius! I can already see that leftmost thing grow to a double bass.

By the way, where do you bury those tiny things then, do you have a garden - or a big oven?

19 minutes ago, itu said:

By the way, where do you bury those tiny things then, do you have a garden - or a big oven?

I grow them on a dedicated allotment, it is very easy.  All that is required is lots of small feedings with moolah, cash, wonga and the odd large injection of cash.   Hey presto a bumper harvest.   If you look carefully you will see a Loop grow into a Looper, just a few small additions of wonga and a couple large cash injections and it turns into a studio.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hellzero said:

No maple unlined fiver, sixer, 8 strings octave bass, double bass, EUB,  ERB (more than 6 strings), Zon Hyperbass,  8x10, heavy all tubes head, ... and so much spare room.

C'mon ! 

I tidied up the response and once I work out what half of them are I will most likely acquire them.   If it has 5 strings is that a broken lead guitar?  Seven strings or more is obviously a harp.   Lots of speakers in a single box must be a Phil Jones and I am not (nor ever will be) old enough to appreciate/understand centrifugal jazz...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clearly you need more to fill up the wall space for the other 2 wall that I assume you have in that room.. feng shui and all that 

Fill the house with equipment before she fills it with shoes and handbags

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Fill the house with equipment before she fills it with shoes and handbags

The age-old battle!

I was chatting to a regular bc'er who said he always bought basses the same colour so his wife didn't notice the new arrival. Top tip I thought! 

• Haha 1

It works until you get tempted to buy a different coloured one.  However, my wife and I have come to an accomodation....if she spots I've bought another bass, she gets to buy a handbag (with my money).

29 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

You don’t have a five which is essential. 🤪

I covered fives previously, if it has 5 strings then isn't that just a broken lead guitar

Mine simply cannot tell the difference between any kind of stringed instrument that you hold at waist height. So I get t-shirts that are guitar related 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chris2112
      Evening all,

I had just wanted to write a quick piece on a new acquisition of mine, something that may be of interest to some of you because there isn't really a great deal about Manne basses on the internet, especially these older models. There is so little, in fact, that I don't even know what this model was called when it was first made, though I will probably write to the company to find out more about it.

In any event, Manne are still around today and probably doing a better trade now than they ever have done. They remain very popular in their native Italy and have a very strong following there. Notably, the virtuoso Dominic Di Piazza used to play one of these. They've been in production since the late 80's with the original luthier still in charge today.

I spotted this one for sale on Reverb at about 3AM on a night shift a couple of weeks ago and made contact with the owner, a nice Italian guy who was selling the instrument after owning it for 30 years! Yes, I was dealing with the original owner who remarked that it had cost him a 'fortune' when new and it had obviously been well looked after. After a few days of exchanging messages to work out the logistics of a sale, a deal was made and the bass was promptly shipped from Italy, flying out from Milan and making it's way to me in Northumberland, England.

I've liked the look of Manne basses for years but I've never seen one in person, never mind held one. However, I am fairly adaptable and must say it is very comfortable to play. The body and neck are maple, with some sort of burled wood veneer on the headstock. The fretboard is unlined ebony with dot markers in line with where the fret would be. It's a substantial instrument, I have not weighed it but it feels about on par with an old maple Yamaha TRB. The neck is very fast and quite thick front-to-back. In comparison to my Pedulla Pentabuzz, which has a very flat neck which is thin front-to-back, the Manne is considerably heftier but no less comfortable for it.

The electronics have been replaced with an EMG setup with active/passing switching. So far, I just run it flat choosing active or passive as I fancy it. The output must be buffered because there is no drop off in output between the two, though the tone in noticeably altered. I haven't yet restrung it with new strings, but I can say that present it has an insane amount of grunt and 'mwah'. The sound is full of body, rich and with a very tactile attack. It really responds to plucking hand placement and technique. The setup gives such low, clean action that makes notes 'bloom' and sustain for ages, just the ticket for carefully considered glissando and sliding a few cents up or down into a note.

One thing that tech-heads will note is the tuning system, which is one of the smartest I have seen. The headstock has string-posts that the end of of the string is wound through. The post is controlled by a very small, smoothly geared knob mounted on the back of the headstock. The strings are threaded through the post and locked in at the headstock and then tuned from the bridge. Again, the tuning action is so smooth and accurate. I find this unique system to be rerally smartly made and it works perfectly. It seems that this tuning system faded out in the early 90's, I will try and find out why that was. I expect it was pretty expensive to make compared to off the shelf parts.

In any event, this bass is a real find for me. I must thank the original owner for keeping it in such good condition. I am now going to woodshed some UZEB and Alain Caron material...

• By lastanthem88
      Here for sale is my P Bass. It’s made from:
      -          Fender Classic Series Lacquer (Nitrocellulose) body in Black, unsure on the year.
      -          Fender Road Worn Jazz Neck, 2008/2009.
      -          Fender Tort scratchplate.
      -          Fender Custom Shop 62 pick ups.
      -          Fender Bridge with Graphtech saddles. 
      -          Hipshot Ultra Light tuning pegs.
      -          Nate Mendel signature neck plate. 
      Currently strung with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys.
      It cost me well over £1000.00 to assemble and plays really nicely. The reason for sale is quite simply that I need the money. As you’ll see by the pictures, the body is starting to age nicely, all natural wear, and should age into a great looking bass.
      Priced at £600.00, plus carriage to wherever you may be.
      Any questions just get in touch!
      Steve.

• By Ma'Grass
      Hi everyone, 

this pick up came off my Fender Telecaster Bass from 1968 and It's a perfectly working, rare and original part from Fender's CBS years. It comes with height regulation springs and earth wire.

It sounds super warm and with natural mids, exactly what you'd expect from the Telecaster bass.
      you can hear some of it in action here and here

Also, I have a video available of the pickup being test metered, showing a reassuring 0 (circuit closed therefore everything working),

you can check it out here

Get in touch,

Matteo