Why become a member? ×

Courier recommendations

James901

Don’t use Parcelforce.

Repeat, don’t use Parcelforce.

I have nothing against them, just that their T&Cs prohibit insurance payout on musical instruments.

In general I’ve used Interparcel and more often than not chosen UPS from Interparcel’s options.

Edited by Lozz196

1 minute ago, jimi_1985 said:

Cheers guys. I had a look at interparcel but UPS comes out around £68 😬 Is this about the going rate?

Is that with insurance? If so it may be about right. Also, check the width of your parcel. If you go over 59cm wide eg 130x61x23 it reduces the number of competitive quotes considerably IME.

I'd recommend UPS via Interparcel, never had to make a claim on them though - but musical instruments are definitely covered. 

I would seriously avoid Parcelforce at the best of times. Especially now in these present times, as we are having loads of our parcels not delivered or seriously delayed - strange how none of the other couriers are affected like Royal Mail are.

Thanks everyone. I've rejigged the measurements by a cm or so and it has brought the price down. Thanks DeeDee 👍 I now have the choice of TNT at £40 or UPS at £51. Anyone had any dealings with TNT?

Thanks again!

Although I have used TNT without issue when others have arranged their own courier, I personally would always go for UPS. 

I recently shipped a bass to the west coast of the US. UPS collected it from me at 11.30am on Thursday and it was delivered by 10.00am the following Monday. It reinforced my already high opinion of them. Superb service.

3 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Although I have used TNT without issue when others have arranged their own courier, I personally would always go for UPS. 

I recently shipped a bass to the west coast of the US. UPS collected it from me at 11.30am on Thursday and it was delivered by 10.00am the following Monday. It reinforced my already high opinion of them. Superb service.

Cheers Deedee. Have you always found it cheaper to use interparcel rather than through UPS directly? I've tried through their website but it's difficult to say the least. Many thanks.

5 minutes ago, jimi_1985 said:

Cheers Deedee. Have you always found it cheaper to use interparcel rather than through UPS directly? I've tried through their website but it's difficult to say the least. Many thanks.

I've never tried to be honest. I've always managed to get a decent price through Interparcel (for basses usually around £25- £30 inc vat shipped within the UK uninsured).

4 minutes ago, Deedee said:

I've never tried to be honest. I've always managed to get a decent price through Interparcel (for basses usually around £25- £30 inc vat shipped within the UK uninsured).

I’m getting £25-£30 uninsured through interparcel. It’s the insurance that really ramps up the cost. I guess that’s the big decider.

I arranged the courier for a bass I bought the other week using Eurosender with the basschat discount. UK to UK. Think it was around £25 with £500 insurance cover. Arrived next day.

Edited by colleya

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - does anybody have recommendations for sending a bass in a hard case, with no way of obtaining a cardboard box to put it in (guitar shops around here all shut)? 

Any ideas most welcome, I'd rather not ship the hard case unprotected (and UPS say I must have it in a cardboard box also).

Thanks all

5 minutes ago, GazWills said:

Hi all - does anybody have recommendations for sending a bass in a hard case, with no way of obtaining a cardboard box to put it in (guitar shops around here all shut)? 

Any ideas most welcome, I'd rather not ship the hard case unprotected (and UPS say I must have it in a cardboard box also).

Thanks all

I did once recieve a bass that was just the hardcase wrapped in bubble wrap, but I think one way or another you'll have to find some card. Bike shops are usually a good source if any are open near you, or have a drive around any local industrial estates for signs of life to see if they have any unwanted card that's going to end up in a skip.

• Like 1

I use ups and absolutely no probs.

If it helps - and this helped me - it appears theres a bit of a glitch in ups website. When searching ups on google it can (but not always) open up the ups for small business page, where prices are a lot more expensive.

It's the natural ups homepage you need.

An insured bass is usually around £25.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1