Why become a member? ×

Tuning pegs

Hey folks.

I have a Yamaha BB435 that's taken abit of a hit on the headstock which has knocked one of the tuning pegs loose. It's really rattling now, still working just really annoying! 

I wanna get hipshot ultralights as an upgrade but I'm unsure what size I would require and I cant seem to find anything on the google.

I'm guessing it would be the 1/2" size?

Also are the licensed ones a real drop in quality? They are quite pricey for the full set with the shipping as I can't seem to fine a UK supplier.

Thanks

I have no experience of Yamaha basses, so I can't help I'm afraid, but I do have one question: is the loose tuning peg rattling because the tuning peg itself is broken/damaged, or because it's been knocked out of place, with possible damage to the fixing screw? If the latter, you will need to find a replacement set of pegs that doesn't use the same screw holes, or you'll have to fill/repair that damaged hole first and make sure it can take another screw safely.

I'm going to move this thread to Repairs And Technical, where it's more likely to get a useful answer by Yamaha users. :)

Easiest way to check what size you need is to just take the machine head off and measure the hole and diameter of the existing post.

I have had licensed Hipshots on basses and they are great tuners, I wouldn’t worry about getting full USA unless there is minimal difference in price or you think you will have any regrets about putting ‘the best’ on the bass.

I seem to remember bass direct sell Hipshot and I am sure I have seen sets of the licensed tuners on there too.

This bass already have lightweight tuners..

I wouldn't put a set of Hipshot on a bass at this price tag as the official ones would be more than a fourth of the bass price itself !!!

Instead try to find where the rattling comes from and put a drop of super glue on the loose part which probably is the ear of the tuning peg itself.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2020 at 22:56, Hellzero said:

Instead try to find where the rattling comes from and put a drop of super glue on the loose part which probably is the ear of the tuning peg itself.

In addition, I'd recommend thin superglue, which will wick into the gaps rather than form a blob.  I used "ZAP thin CA" which I bought online.