Why become a member? ×

Irrational GAS

Bilbo

My GAS only kicks in when I'm gigging and I can justify another purchase and also feel I have a good chance of selling what I'm replacing. I could not even contemplate the Yamamha Cake thing that came up last week, for a mere £9.99 and postage.

On the selling front however, I've  got someone collected a garden incinerator from me today.....

27 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

My GAS only kicks in when I'm gigging and I can justify another purchase and also feel I have a good chance of selling what I'm replacing. I could not even contemplate the Yamamha Cake thing that came up last week, for a mere £9.99 and postage.

On the selling front however, I've  got someone collected a garden incinerator from me today.....

Yeah  that's not really gas though is it 😅

Far too rational 

On 10/04/2020 at 08:31, Bilbo said:

And all of this is happening while I have absolutely no gigs 

I gave in to GAS when my Eden Metro conked out during our last gig:

Friday 13th: amp dies.

Saturday and Sunday: sulk and think about getting it fixed.

Monday and Tuesday: browse Eden gear online. Not much more than small combos to be had.

Wednesday: go in to local Marshall dealer and ask about Eden availibility. All they have on 'the system' are small combos, so they'll have to ask their purchasing department.

Sunday: phone call from dealer with price. I fork out for a new WTP600.

Monday: lockdown announced, all gigs cancelled.

Impeccable timing as ever 😩

• Haha 2

I've just reserved a 800w 2x12 cab from Bass Direct to use in my man cave on the basis that it will sound nicer than the 20 year old Peavey practice amp i've been using.  Definitely more of a GAS induced 'want' than a 'need' (I was interested in it anyway) but I'm justifying putting it on the credit card to cheer myself up while we're on lockdown with no prospect of gigs for some time.  It's not in stock yet but hopefully I'll get it in a couple of weeks.🤔

Edited by gazhowe

So far this week I’ve seen another Rick 4004 I want, despite having had one and not got on that well with it ergonomically, have decided I want a mint green Sub Ray 4, even though I don’t get on with Stingrays, a white Epi TBird despite the fact it won’t fit in the car, have seen 2 early Thumbs I’d love even though I’m pretty sure they won’t work ergonomically, and a Sei I can’t afford but want desperately, just because. Oh, and a Tokai LP. It’s not going well. 😂

• Haha 1

I really fancy an ivory Ibanez Talman short scale with a set of piccolo strings on for a different sound to play with whilst isolated. The thing is, I'll have no real use for it once we're back to gigging. But it's so cheap and the reviews so good I'm having real trouble resisting. 

51 minutes ago, Maude said:

I really fancy an ivory Ibanez Talman short scale with a set of piccolo strings on for a different sound to play with whilst isolated. The thing is, I'll have no real use for it once we're back to gigging. But it's so cheap and the reviews so good I'm having real trouble resisting. 

Played one in PMT in Bristol not long after they came out. It was, I have to say, a very nice instrument. Lovely neck. 

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Played one in PMT in Bristol not long after they came out. It was, I have to say, a very nice instrument. Lovely neck. 

PMT have them for £151 with free delivery, piccolo strings are only about £15.

I would normally buy second hand as I can have my fun and then move it on without losing, hopefully, but obviously that's a no go at the moment. There's a black one advertised on Facebook for £100 ono, virtually unused, still got the film on the scratchplate, etc. It's been on for a couple of weeks now so I reckon £80 would buy it but I can't go and get it. 

3 hours ago, Maude said:

PMT have them for £151 with free delivery, piccolo strings are only about £15.

I would normally buy second hand as I can have my fun and then move it on without losing, hopefully, but obviously that's a no go at the moment. There's a black one advertised on Facebook for £100 ono, virtually unused, still got the film on the scratchplate, etc. It's been on for a couple of weeks now so I reckon £80 would buy it but I can't go and get it. 

Darn it. Difficult to organise a Basschat relay right now too. But 80 - 100 would be a very very good deal... for you! 

• Like 1

Oh dear. I’ve spent the afternoon on Youtube and I've now decided I need to have a Sterling Ray 4 PB, plus I now have a scary hankering for 2 new Stingray Specials, one in charcoal sparkle and one in aqua sparkle. They are by far the nicest Stingrays I’ve ever seen; in fact some the nicest looking basses I’ve ever seen. With a price tag to reflect it. I really need to play some and find I don’t get on with them, which is what I normally find with Stingrays. Although the 4PB is not beyond the bounds of possibility.....

I even saw a demo of a Flea Jazz and had my head turned. I don’t get on with Jazzes at all! Help!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Maude said:

There's a black one advertised on Facebook for £100 ono, virtually unused, still got the film on the scratchplate, etc. It's been on for a couple of weeks now so I reckon £80 would buy it but I can't go and get it.

Hrm, Where is it then? 😬

(asking for a friend :ph34r:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Hrm, Where is it then? 😬

(asking for a friend :ph34r:)

It's in Torquay, not far for me and normally I'd have popped up with Mrs. Maude and had a day out in the sunshine and picked up the bass. Not now though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

It's in Torquay, not far for me and normally I'd have popped up with Mrs. Maude and had a day out in the sunshine and picked up the bass. Not now though. 

Ah damn. If it was close by here I could have got it for you and taught it a few tunes before lockdown's over... 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4000 said:

Oh dear. I’ve spent the afternoon on Youtube and I've now decided I need to have a Sterling Ray 4 PB, plus I now have a scary hankering for 2 new Stingray Specials, one in charcoal sparkle and one in aqua sparkle. They are by far the nicest Stingrays I’ve ever seen; in fact some the nicest looking basses I’ve ever seen. With a price tag to reflect it. I really need to play some and find I don’t get on with them, which is what I normally find with Stingrays. Although the 4PB is not beyond the bounds of possibility.....

I even saw a demo of a Flea Jazz and had my head turned. I don’t get on with Jazzes at all! Help!!!!!!!

I had a Flea Bass and it's a fantastic bass for the money. Thankfully I'm a fretless player, so these don't come that often...

That said I bought an original FRETTED 1991 Ibanez AFR A304 that should be here today. :facepalm:

• Haha 2

How's this for irrational GAS. 

I have been getting increasingly frustrated in my search for a small, second hand 1X12 or 1X10 cab to complete a rig I've put together. 

I want it to be the same dimensions, or close to, as the cab I've already got because that fits perfectly on top of the 15 and below the rack. 

Not only fits but sounds great.

I used to have a BF 1x12 which was wonderful combined with a 15 of the same make. I got to thinking how splendid it would be to have it back and so started looking for one. 

The search became less focused and then obsessive. And I already have a cab perfectly suited to the job. 🤦🏼‍♂️