Why become a member? ×

Irrational GAS

Bilbo

I have recently found myself looking at all sorts of small electrical bass amps (my Acoustic Image kit is perfect so it is only electrical bass amps that I am looking at). For literally a decade or more, I stopped practicing electric through an amp and played into a PC through headphones. I had a Roland Cube guitar amp I could plug into if I needed to but rarely did.

Anyway, I recently bought a Phil Jones Bass double four bg-75 combo thing just for home practice and I am kicking myself for not getting something decent years ago. I have been playing gigs on  electric through the AI Clarus and Ten2ex with a PJB extension cab and it sounds great but I am now Gassing for every little bass combo in the world. The entire Markbass catalogue and especially the Jeff Berlin combo. Two of those, I reckon. The entire PJB range. GK, Ashdon, TC Electronic. I could buy it all. I just want to sound gorgeous. And all of this is happening while I have absolutely no gigs 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It is sad to predict that this situation will be prolonged. No gigs mean, that there will be quite some stuff available, sooner or later. Those who have some money in their pocket will buy incredible instruments and amps, while pro musicians may be pushed to sell their tools.

I wish I am wrong, but it does not look too good.

• Sad 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IK-Multimedia-iRig-HD-2-Interface-for-Guitar-high-quality/402213471230?epid=1093039284&hash=item5da5ca83fe:g:yvAAAOSwWkFeju8P

I have the older version of this which is great for practising quietly as you are going through headphones. My phone is an iPhone 7 which Apple kindly removed the headphone socket from but this version uses a lightning connector, so once I save my pennies I will get the updated version. I find my practising curtailed by having people constantly in the house, especially at this time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I have recently found myself looking at all sorts of small electrical bass amps (my Acoustic Image kit is perfect so it is only electrical bass amps that I am looking at). For literally a decade or more, I stopped practicing electric through an amp and played into a PC through headphones. I had a Roland Cube guitar amp I could plug into if I needed to but rarely did.

Anyway, I recently bought a Phil Jones Bass double four bg-75 combo thing just for home practice and I am kicking myself for not getting something decent years ago. I have been playing gigs on  electric through the AI Clarus and Ten2ex with a PJB extension cab and it sounds great but I am now Gassing for every little bass combo in the world. The entire Markbass catalogue and especially the Jeff Berlin combo. Two of those, I reckon. The entire PJB range. GK, Ashdon, TC Electronic. I could buy it all. I just want to sound gorgeous. And all of this is happening while I have absolutely no gigs 😀

I always find not gigging is the absolute worst for GAS. Gigging, certain things work and many don’t, so I just want the things that work for me.
When you’re not gigging, suddenly that 18 string medium scale makes sense, because...well, why not? 

I was the same as you with small combos. I never considered one until my current acoustic band started in 2012. We did a spot on a well known tv programme, in a tent outside. I had to borrow a friend’s guitar combo, which was less than ideal, so immediately afterwards I bought a used Hartke 1x10 Kickback. It was a revelation. The only downside was it struggled with gigs, so I eventually replaced it with 2 X Tech21 VT500 heads and first one, then another Barefaced One10; a great, portable, fabulous-sounding rig. I still miss the Hartke though, as it was so versatile. Strangely it ended up with a friend, but I don’t think he’s keen to sell. 

• Like 1

Does it count as GAS if when you’re looking you 100% know that you’re NOT going to buy anything?

I know exactly which  models of Sandberg, Overwater  Chowny and Maruschathingy basses I would  buy if I was going to buy one, including detailed specs and colours... but I am absolutely not going to buy one.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I've just bought an Ashdown CTM-30 and matching sealed 1x15 from here!

In my defense I've had my eye on one for a while, and one of the bands which gets a lot of effort concentrated on it is an old fashioned blues and swing outfit, so it will really fit the vibe, get plenty of use, and pay for itself. It will be rig no. 5 though...

Don’t get me started on those! Every time I go in PMT I think about plugging one in, but I have absolutely no real desire - beyond the obvious GAS - to own another valve amp, taking into account the many practical considerations.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

You can look but don't even think about touching!!

If you want to do anything bass related, learn a totally new song.

One might suggest this...

I just succumbed to GAS (and I have sold 6 instruments recently) I went on eBay and purchased a rack mount power amp to fill a space under my Line 6 preamp.

• Like 2

I have a bass-related vacuum in my brainspace caused by lack of rehearsals and no-gigs planned. GAS abhors a vacuum. I'm currently thinking about going superlight with a barefaced cab and maybe Ashdown head. But everything I have now just works so perfectly together.

Will be ordering a new strap when delivery times are a bit better.

• Like 1

I just bought something 'bass shaped' from Bassdirect 2 days ago. I don't need it, as any gigs will probably be months from now and I have plenty of other basses to choose from when that happens.

It's basically retail therapy, to cheer me up in these dark days.

I suppose the silver lining of this coronavirus thing, is that it's unlikely that I'll miss the delivery driver when he calls.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gjones said:

I just bought something 'bass shaped' from Bassdirect 2 days ago. I don't need it, as any gigs will probably be months from now and I have plenty of other basses to choose from when that happens.

It's basically retail therapy, to cheer me up in these dark days.

I suppose the silver lining of this coronavirus thing, is that it's unlikely that I'll miss the delivery driver when he calls.

How long did it take to arrive? Did they use a courier?

Considering buying some pickups from Bass Direct, but having some long waits for stuff at the mo... mainly Amazon and the PO.. Thomann were brilliant, and ll the way from Germany.

Cheers

I've bought 2 basses, when I already have too many, but in my defense, these basses are almost in new condition and were built in 1991. And I've always loved these basses, one is an original Ibanez AFR A104F and the other an A304 with their original cases. Terrific basses, that said, but I knew it as I had 3 or 4 over the years. I was also looking for a MarkBass K1 combo. I bought a Glockenklang Bass Art preamp and also a Lyngdorf DPA-1 hi-fi preamp. :facepalm:

No gigs nor rehearsal to come, but the funny thing is that we agreed to start again our jazzy duet with a fellow guitarist the week they decided the lockdown. :dash1:

I am being really good and not buying any more basses at the moment, it is not because what I want isn't currently on sale anywhere in the internet world at the moment, other than Japan and their prices are ridiculous .....obviously I haven't been looking :ph34r:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Trueno said:

How long did it take to arrive? Did they use a courier?

Considering buying some pickups from Bass Direct, but having some long waits for stuff at the mo... mainly Amazon and the PO.. Thomann were brilliant, and ll the way from Germany.

Cheers

I paid for it on Thursday. 

I expect it will be quite a while before I have it in my hot little hands.

Last time i bought a bass from bassdirect, there was no communication from Bassdirect, or the courier, as to when it would arrive.

After a week, I contacted Mark, who told me who the courier was. I ended up having to go down to the depot to collect it.

The website says to expect delays.

• Like 1

And today I bought the little version of this :

Which is this : https://www.stars-music.com/boxking-pb4813-powered-rechargeable-pedalboard-bag_164336.html

Not really irrational gas as I've been looking for such a small powered rechargeable pedalboard, with a 12V/1A output, for a while.

Edited by Hellzero
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gjones said:

I paid for it on Thursday. 

I expect it will be quite a while before I have it in my hot little hands.

Last time i bought a bass from bassdirect, there was no communication from Bassdirect, or the courier, as to when it would arrive.

After a week, I contacted Mark, who told me who the courier was. I ended up having to go down to the depot to collect it.

The website says to expect delays.

Thanks for that. I bought some control knobs from them recently. I didn't hear much, but they just popped through the door over a week later. I wondered if they might be a bit more informative if you bought something more expensive. I think I'll hold off until things are "normal".

Hope the bass works out ok.... I frequently lust after shiny new stuff on Bass Direct.

so now I want the pedal board @Hellzerojust introduced me to.

You couldn't make it up. Only reading this thread to chuckle at the ridiculous nature of GAS, I have four pedal boards already, seldom use any of them. 

As to the OP, I do the same thing. I get something that works, fall for it, and end up wanting a harem of the things. Whatever 'thing' it may be.