Why become a member? ×

Basschat 20 Questions

stewblack

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Just a bit of fun. 20 simple yes or no type questions but please feel free to elaborate if you have a good bass playing related tale inspired by a question. I have, on a whim, chosen 20 all of which I could answer (surprisingly in some cases) with a yes.

01 Ever played a gig sitting down?  - yes, played a couple of gigs a week after a cancer op (prostrate) and had to sit down, also a few months after bike accident, used crutches to get into venue and had to sit to play (couldn't stand)

02 Ever gigged on a different instrument? Used synth for some bass in the aftermath of bike accident

03 Ever shared a stage with a musical hero of yours? Was on the stage immediately after Here & Now last year - they (and Keith the bass) were certainly people I looked up to in the late 70s

04 Any fan ever had a tattoo of your band's logo? nope, not as far as I know, anyway

05 Ever signed an autograph in a dressing room? Signed posters for someone, yes

06 Ever cried on stage? A bit - when we played 'Ripple' after Robert Hunter's death and the entire audience joined in after the first chord.

07 Ever worn a hat on stage? More often than I've gigged without

08 Ever gigged with a band you hadn't met before the gig? Yes, only to find out that no-one else had gigged with the lead guy either!

09 Ever been in a relationship with a fellow band member? Nope

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day? I think so, but can't remember which ones now

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing? Nothing that's hit me!

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig? No

13 Ever left a band over the choice of set list? Yes, left after a few rehearsals.

14 Ever slept in the venue despite it not being a hotel? Yep, slept under a tree when promised room didn't happen at a two night gig at a retreat a couple of years ago.

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you? Very rarely had a support band

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition? Yes - recovering from prostatectomy and later from motorcycle accident. Interesting playing with that many pain killers in my system!

17 Ever been in a band where the guitarist was your favourite bandmate? Yes! 

18 Ever played in the grounds of a stately home? Does Gaydon motor museum count?

19 Ever injured yourself on stage? Yes, finished a gig 40 or more years ago with my bass covered in blood (mine!)

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough? Yes, but not as often as being asked to turn it down.

Edited by FinnDave
spelling & memory loss!
  • Thanks 1

01 Ever played a gig sitting down?

Several times, mostly mandolin but a couple of jazz gigs with my Dad.

02 Ever gigged on a different instrument?

See above! Mandolin - some just on mandolin, some trying to juggle mandolin and bass.

Oh, and couple (bagging) on guitar...

03 Ever shared a stage with a musical hero of yours?

Lots as crew, not really whilst on bass.

Once, on guitar for a 2 minute piece.

04 Any fan ever had a tatoo of your band's logo?

Not that I know of.

05 Ever signed an autograph in a dressing room?

Yes! Very cringe worthy.

06 Ever cried on stage?

Err, don't think so.

07 Ever worn a hat on stage?

Frequently, although I have come to the conclusion that, despite loving the concept of hats, a baseball cap is about the only thing I can carry off without looking like a womble.

08 Ever gigged with a band you hadn't met before the gig?

Yes. Messy.

09 Ever been in a relationship with a fellow band member?

Nope.

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day?

Yes! At the same gig. Last ever gig of one band, which was supporting my then main outfit.

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing?

Don't think so.

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig?

Rear end shunt at a roundabout.

13 Ever left a band over the choice of set list?

Nope.

14 Ever slept in the venue despite it not being a hotel?

Yes! We picked up a support slot at the end of a tour. I was shattered, and slept through headliner.

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you?

Not that I'm aware of, but would you admit it? Have definitely been in support acts who have over-shadowed the main act.

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition?

Just hangovers.

17 Ever been in a band where the guitarist was your favourite bandmate?

A couple of times. Both would be in my ideal band.

18 Ever played in the grounds of a stately home?

Crathes Castle in Aberdeenshire.
Does the ramparts of Stirling Castle count?

19 Ever injured yourself on stage?

Knackered my back shifting a monitor whilst sound-checking! Still suffering from that 25 years later... Never lift and twist!

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough?

Only by my lovely wife!

• Thanks 1

01 Ever played a gig sitting down? Yeah, after a knee op in the 90s.

02 Ever gigged on a different instrument? Guitar, mandolin, banjo, lapsteel and harmonica

03 Ever shared a stage with a musical hero of yours? Did two tours with Enuff Z'Nuff who I had posters of as a kid and we jammed onstage everynight.

04 Any fan ever had a tatoo of your band's logo? Don't think so. The pedant in me has to point out it's tattoo! 

05 Ever signed an autograph in a dressing room? Yep.

06 Ever cried on stage? No

07 Ever worn a hat on stage? Definitely

08 Ever gigged with a band you hadn't met before the gig? Yeah, scary but fun

09 Ever been in a relationship with a fellow band member? Not sexual

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day? Yes

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing? A barstool! Glam band booked for a skinhead pub! 

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig? Yes

13 Ever left a band over the choice of set list? Indirectly

14 Ever slept in the venue despite it not being a hotel? Yes & in my 40s too!

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you? If by better you mean sober, yes.

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition? Cancer in 2009

17 Ever been in a band where the guitarist was your favourite bandmate? Frequently

18 Ever played in the grounds of a stately home? Don't think so

19 Ever injured yourself on stage? A shifted nut cut my hand open in Norway last year. Blood everywhere! 

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough? Too loud, too quiet... everybody is a critic! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adamg67 said:

Aren't they all yes/no questions?

no, yes, no, yes, no, no, yes, no, no, no, yes, yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

absolutely but I hoped people might elaborate if they felt like it! 

01 Ever played a gig sitting down

Yes, loads - especially as I've got older.

Yes - Guitar and piano/keys

Yes - Albert Lee

04 Any fan ever had a tattoo of your band's logo?

Yes

Yes

06 Ever cried on stage?

Yes, a few times

Yes - only once, a Sombrero

Yes, a few times.

Yes

Yes

Yes - A sprout and then a mince pie (you guessed, Xmas party gig) 

Yes - once after a tyre blowout on the M62, and once when the drummer hit my car at a junction!

Yes - although to be fair, the band was on it's way out anyway.

Yes 

Yes - a proper Mariachi band as well as many others

Yes - Broken arm meant I played bass on keyboards for 3 months.

Yes, and still is.

Yes - rather a lot don't you know...

Yes - First gig I ever did on upright, had blood spurting from my plucking hand .

Yes - Plenty of times, got used to it playing in a loud band too long.

• Thanks 1

Yes, only once though, when my band provided improvised "musical" backing for a one-off performance of a play written and produced by Bill Brookman (you may recognise him from Britain's Got Talent).

I've played Bass, Guitar, Synthesiser, Piano, Balalaika, and Percussion in front of paying audiences - so yes.

No.

Not that I am aware of. 

Yes, on the cover of an album I didn't actually play on (I joined the band after the album was released).

06 Ever cried on stage?
No.

No. Never.

Yes. I played guitar on two numbers for Ian Boddy. He had a track on his "Uncertainty Principal" album with sampled guitar, and wanted to play it live as an encore with real guitar, and a mutual friend recommended me. I had a brief meeting with Ian a week before the gig when I played the guitar part along to a backing track for him to check I was playing the right thing, but I didn't actually play with the band until the soundcheck for the gig.

Yes.

Yes. I used to play in two bands who regularly did gigs together.

If I have, I've not been aware of it.

Broken down several times (once so terminally we never made it to the gig) but never crashed.

No.

Yes.

No.

No.

Yes, on many occasions.

No.

Not seriously.

Yes.

• Thanks 1

The answer to most of these would be "no", except:

1: Often (with BG or EUB). The drummer and pianist get to sit down, why shouldn't I?
2: Yes, guitar or highland bagpipe.
4: Though this is another "no", the guitarist in a band I once played with spotted someone he didn't recognise wearing one of our badges (see also 15).
15: According to a old student newspaper clipping "$OTHER_BAND provided adequate support, and in fact turned out to be much better rehearsed than the headliners."
20: Often.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

Just a bit of fun. 20 simple yes or no type questions but please feel free to elaborate if you have a good bass playing related tale inspired by a question. I have, on a whim, chosen 20 all of which I could answer (surprisingly in some cases) with a yes.

01 Ever played a gig sitting down? Yes - lumbar problems used to be a serious issue for me.

02 Ever gigged on a different instrument? Erm - does DB count? How about cowbell?

03 Ever shared a stage with a musical hero of yours? They say "never meet your heroes". So I haven't.

04 Any fan ever had a tatoo of your band's logo? No - but I've considered getting one myself.

05 Ever signed an autograph in a dressing room? No - but unbelievably I did once sign a band poster which was going to be auctioned for charity. Like that ever happened.

06 Ever cried on stage? Only on the inside.

07 Ever worn a hat on stage? Very frequently.

08 Ever gigged with a band you hadn't met before the gig? Yes - charity gig in Farnham or thereabouts; none of us had ever met before, and all we had was a list of songs which we might or might not play.

09 Ever been in a relationship with a fellow band member? No - nor have I ever wanted to.

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day? Yes, quite a few times. My favourite was playing a full-on C&W gig in the afternoon before rushing off to a rock covers gig in the evening, no time to change out of my C&W clothes. The covers band were a mite confused when they saw me ...

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing? Only by the drummer.

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig? Bizarrely, I actually had to stop and think about that one. I'm pretty sure that's a no, unless you include crashing on the same day as a gig which resulted in the band getting a dep for me because I was in Intensive Care.

13 Ever left a band over the choice of set list? Ish. I left a C&W band for not playing enough Country. Seriously.

14 Ever slept in the venue despite it not being a hotel? Didn't even know that was a thing.

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you? IMHO - no!

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition? Yup - see (01) above.

17 Ever been in a band where the guitarist was your favourite bandmate? [Dodges question] I don't really have 'favourite bandmates'.

18 Ever played in the grounds of a stately home? No.

19 Ever injured yourself on stage? No.

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough? Not as often as I'd like.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

07 Ever worn a hat on stage? Very frequently.

Not JUST hats, you know...

05.thumb.jpg.0aebbf741997539c297329d46208f53f.jpg

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day? Yes, quite a few times. My favourite was playing a full-on C&W gig in the afternoon before rushing off to a rock covers gig in the evening, no time to change out of my C&W clothes. The covers band were a mite confused when they saw me ...

Not only the band. Some of the punters who were there for the covers band approached me with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension, to clarify what kind of stuff the band was going to actually play.

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing? Only by the drummer.

😂 True dat!

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig? Bizarrely, I actually had to stop and think about that one. I'm pretty sure that's a no, unless you include crashing on the same day as a gig which resulted in the band getting a dep for me because I was in Intensive Care.

We also had the band van written off, while parked by our front door, a few hours before a NYE gig.

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition? Yup - see (01) above.

There was also the gig where Jack was playing bass guitar with a massive bandage on one of his main plucking fingers. Ouch.

19 Ever injured yourself on stage? No.

Went very close to that one night, when a drunken punter tipped one of the PA speakers on top of Jack. It's all on video, obviously.

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough? Not as often as I'd like.

That's why the band(s) have a bleedin' sound engineer, innit, to get the levels right from the start! :D

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

06 Ever cried on stage?

1. Yes, my strap broke once and I had nothing to fix it in a hurry, so I finished the set sitting on the amplifier.

2. I gigged on guitar before I tried bass and got hooked.

3. No, but close. There's this cool trombone player who was in a famous band in the 80s and I was lucky to play with him, and he always wanted to be close to my amp onstage so I got to hear/see him play very closely. 

4. not that I know of!!! But many had our stickers.

5. actually I have signed autographs... embarrasing :D

6. I never cried onstage, but I've wanted to drop my bass and murder someone. Ok, not murder but inflict severe bodily harm. Never did 'though. Once I did jump out and threatened someone. Another time in a small bar I hit someone (not hard) with my headstock to get his attention (his back towards me, while he argued with someone) and then I called security who dealt with him.

7. many times, many hats

8. no, I always met them at least once

9. no relationships within the band, no

10. Yes, quite a few times. Two bands frequently, sometimes three. Typically at festivals. Two of my bands used to play the same type of events and we actually shared 1-3 members. In the end it was just me in common. Once the sound guy was politely telling me I should unplug and move to let the other band's bass player set up... :) I told him it was me. Then the next band, Bombskare, was on, and I knew them well so a couple of them were chatting to me onstage and the sound guy thought I was playing with them too (my wearing a Bombskare t-shirt could explain his confusion) :D

11. a soft toy, balloons, confetti from a confetti cannon... only stuff like that. Never used underwear 😛

12. Never crashed, but had breakdowns. Always made it 'though.

13. Never. But most of my bands were largely originals. I've left bands because of volume management (lack of), control-freak 'leaders', unreliable members, but never because of the music.

14. Yes, I have slept at venues to save money on hotels, especially if the gigs were far away and/or lower fees than we'd have liked. Not a great experience most times, they're always filthy. Brushing my teeth in the toilets that had not been cleaned yet and stank of pee was not a great experience.

15. I've been supported by bands that I fell in love with. Better than us? I wouldn't say so. We've supported bands that were definitely better than us. Very educational and sobering.

16. I've played many gigs while sick, but nothing major.

17. Funny, no, I can't think of any. I tend to get along better with drummers and horns. But just because they weren't my favourite it doesn't mean I didn't like them. I don't stay in bands where I don't like members, unless the pay is good enough to make me overlook that... and even then, it's just not worth it for me. But then, I don't depend on the music related income to pay my bills.

18. Nope, never. But I played in the grounds of a castle, does that count?

19. Injured myself onstage? Hurt my hand a few times, hurt my knee... but nothing serious.

20. Yes! Not a common thing but I've been asked to turn up quite a few times. I've also been asked to turn down. Sometimes both on the same gig. Yes. I don't know either. 

• Thanks 1

01 Ever played a gig sitting down? No, but played  a mid-section of a song sitting down.

02 Ever gigged on a different instrument? Yes, lead guitar & lead vocals

03 Ever shared a stage with a musical hero of yours? No, but have played gigs with many of my favourite bands

04 Any fan ever had a tattoo of your band's logo? Yes, and song lyrics

05 Ever signed an autograph in a dressing room? Yes, plenty of times (always found it rather embarrassing if truth be told)

06 Ever cried on stage? No

07 Ever worn a hat on stage? Yes

08 Ever gigged with a band you hadn't met before the gig? No

09 Ever been in a relationship with a fellow band member? No

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day? No

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing? Abuse mainly , but also ladies underwear (thrown by ladies I should add, had to be a pi55take)

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig? No but have crashed on way back

13 Ever left a band over the choice of set list? Not exactly, but a slight disagreement helped me to finalise a decision I knew was coming

14 Ever slept in the venue despite it not being a hotel? Yes

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you? Yes, Jesus Jones and Carter & The Unstoppable Sex Machine spring to mind

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition? No

17 Ever been in a band where the guitarist was your favourite bandmate? Yes

18 Ever played in the grounds of a stately home? No

19 Ever injured yourself on stage? No, but I have injured a member of the audience (who was spitting at me)

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough? Not often 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

Frequently, otherwise I'd be the only one standing up and look a bit (more) odd.

No, but at one gig a lady showed our then-cajonist her bum, which had 'his' first name tattooed thereupon.

No, but signed two travelling German ladies' T-shirts after a pub gig. One of them recently 'reached out' to us via FB, and reminded us just how long ago that was.

Frequently. In a few cases we still haven't met them.

Dented my then-girlfriend's convertible BMW in an inattentive moment at a junction en route to a gig.

Always wanted to. Would never have played a gig if I was that way inclined.

Glandular fever, once (literally dragged from my sick bed to play a show above a kebab shop. Spaced out and dribbling constantly. Surprisingly fun). Chronic bowel disease over a year or two.

More often than not, yes.

Our cajonist was stung on the hand by a wasp during a reasonably-sized festival gig. He kept on going and only told us afterwards, bless him.

For some reason I'm not allowed to go through the PA so I'm usually either too loud or too quiet. It's nice when someone lets me know.

Fun topic :)

Have left out the ones where the answer is 'yes, but there's really no story'.

• Thanks 1

Yes, just once

Guitar, before I knew better

Deke Leonard and Micky Jones, Man soundcheck 2002 at 100 Club. Martin Ace was shopping...

No band I have been in has had a logo

No

06 Ever cried on stage?

No

Yes, much to my shame

Yes, at the Lord Nelson in Poole. Never again...the audience was all related to the band

No

Yes, my very first gig!

No

No, but been breathalyser returning from one. Negative, since you ask

Not yet 

No

No

No

No

Yes, but it was converted to a nursing home. Curiously it was my ‘sit down’ gig

Slammed my finger in the car door after load in. Dipped it in ice between numbers, the feeling has never fully returned.

By another bass player in the audience. Never a bandmate 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you? Yes, Jesus Jones and Carter & The Unstoppable Sex Machine spring to mind

Funnily enough we supported Carter loads in the early 90s and we always thought we were shedloads better than them... Their fans didn't necessarily agree, but then we were a bit odd!

Anyway:

Yes - did about 10 gallery openings improvising weird ambient stuff with a guitar playing mate

Yes - 1st ever gig, keyboards

No, but I once DJed with Mikey Dread at the Warehouse in Leeds

Not Yet!

No, but the whole band once signed their names in wee in the dressing room of a particularly poor venue (or perhaps we were a little "over-refreshed"

06 Ever cried on stage?

With laughter!

I once played a gig wearing 9 hats on top of each other

Sort of - played bass for Bang Bang Romeo once (a mate was managing them) never having heard any of their songs, or knowing any chord structures...

Only as house mates

No

No

No, but we got lost backstage once at (I think!) Gloucester Town Hall

No

No

Arguably... We were once supported by Lawnmower Deth, who I thought were terrible but had much more success than us. And we did many gigs with a band called The Meanies, which contained a member of The Cardiacs!

No, but I remember the whole band getting "over refreshed" on all sorts of stuff to make sure we played well for the record company types due that night. We didn't...

No

Yes - we played  a wedding at one in Sussex. I rode there on my Yamaha TR1 café racer, parked it right by the stage, played the gig in full black leathers and immediately after, rode off. It was the only time the singer carried any gear! But I suspect there might have been some pointing and laughing at me...

No

No. And Yes.

• Thanks 1

I had a stool handy once, but didn't use it...

Last year for the first time - Mandolin and Guitar!

My first band got introduced by Benjamin Zephaniah back in the 80s.

I made a t-shirt with my second band's logo on... does that count?

!

06 Ever cried on stage?

Only with pain or disbelief...

Yes, sadly I gave the hat to a mate who suited it better than me (basically he put it on and had to fight off the ladies, so i wasn't going to get it back 😞  ).

No

No

No

Only be fellow band members.

Mercifully not.

Nope.

I don't think so...

Only if you count a 'battle of the bands'.

Hangovers...

Yes

I've played in the grounds of a Pub and  rugby stadium

Not seriously.

Only made that mistake once 🙂

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stewblack said:

All my gigs since 2012 have been played sitting down.

Yes, guitar (and drums once). There’s also a song in our current set list that I play fingerpicked 12 on.

Not at the same time, but played immediately before Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash) at the Acoustic Festival of Britain and even helped him onstage with his gear. Lovely bloke.

I hope not!

Yes, lots of times.

06 Ever cried on stage?
Yes, last New Year’s Eve we dedicated a certain song I wrote to those we’d lost that year, which included 2 young people close to the band who had sadly taken their own lives, and two beloved cats. Both myself and our singer broke down as he dedicated it. The song is about the hope of meeting those you love in some sort of afterlife, hence the dedication. 

Often. My old band used to be noted for it! 

Not that I remember.

Nope. Never once been in a band with a member of the opposite sex. 

Er....I’m not sure. There were a few years where I played whilst drinking, and they’re a bit blurred. 😂

Nope. 

Nope, but broke down once and ended up arriving at the gig on the back of an AA tow truck. 

No, but a guitarist did when I dug my heels in.

If you include camp sites, several times. Otherwise I don’t think so.

No.

Most of them over the last 20 years!

Yes.

Yes. Somewhere in Yorkshire I think, it was an outdoor festival. 

No, but I broke someone’s nose once. 😁

Yes. I’m so wary of being too loud that I often overcompensate and start too quiet. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 4000 said:

, last New Year’s Eve we dedicated a certain song I wrote to those we’d lost that year, which included 2 young people close to the band who had sadly taken their own lives, and two beloved cats. Both myself and our singer broke down as he dedicated it. The song is about the hope of meeting those you love in some

beautiful, thank you 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stewblack said:

06 Ever cried on stage?

1)   Yes.  Just had major hip surgery ( replacement ) due to car accident

7)  Yes, all the time

16)  Yes, see No.1.  I think that counts as a medical condition

17) Yes

Everything else is a no

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, stewblack said:

No

No

No

No

No

06 Ever cried on stage?

No

Yes

Yes, partially

Yes

Yes

No, I thought someone threw something at me but it was the drummer splintering another stick and a shard of it hit me

Gig, no. Rehearsal, yes

No

No

No

Do bruised ribs count? 

No

Yes

No

Yes

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Do bruised ribs count? 

I should flippin' well say so. I bruised mine once after losing contact with a mountain bike. Extraordinarily painful. Every breath hurt. Would not want to gig under such circumstances. 

• Sad 1

01 Ever played a gig sitting down? Acoustic gigs mainly

02 Ever gigged on a different instrument? No

03 Ever shared a stage with a musical hero of yours? Yes, a local blues singer that nobody on Basschat would know (now deceased unfortunately)

04 Any fan ever had a tatoo of your band's logo? My niece has a tattoo of the bands logo. Her dad was in the band too.

05 Ever signed an autograph in a dressing room? Many.....have no idea why they wanted them?

06 Ever cried on stage? Almost......when the singer and guitarist told me that the ex drummer, that I hated, was coming back into the band (he didn't last long until he was sacked again).

07 Ever worn a hat on stage? Yes

08 Ever gigged with a band you hadn't met before the gig? Yes, a few times when I've depped.

09 Ever been in a relationship with a fellow band member? No

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day? Pretty sure that I have.

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing? A full pint of lager (I didn't go back)

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig? Almost!

13 Ever left a band over the choice of set list? No

14 Ever slept in the venue despite it not being a hotel? No

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you? Yes

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition? Carpal tunnel. 

17 Ever been in a band where the guitarist was your favourite bandmate? Yes, he's my brother in law. But we fell out for about ten years. Now were're friends again and occasional bandmates.

18 Ever played in the grounds of a stately home? Yes a few times

19 Ever injured yourself on stage? No

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough? All the time. Although last time I gigged, I was told I was too loud. It was a weird stage resonance, which accentuated the low frequencies, as offstage I was too quiet.

• Thanks 1

01 Many times when I’ve gigged on cajon and / or acoustic guitar.

02 Yes - see 01

03 Not quite but I’ve depped on bass for some really good players who are way better than me!

04 Nah

05 Not in a dressing room, but after a gig I had to sign some tour posters and CDs for fans. Embarrassingly I was depping so I wasn’t even anyone notable. 

06 Nope.

07 Worn many hats on many stages.

08 Once gigged with a band I only met in the car park at the gig and worked out a covers set list there and then. The result wasn’t that good it has to be said. 

09 No.

10 Yes ive played with one band in the afternoon and another in the evening a few times.

11 Once had a chair thrown at us onstage by a slightly unhinged party guest. He was aiming for the banjo player. I can’t blame him. 

12 No

13 Have certainly left bands cos of their choice of material.

14 Nope 

15 Thankfully no.

16 Yes, with various stomach bugs and colds when it was too late to cancel.

17 Yes definitely been in bands where the guitarist was the best company.

18 Yes played in a few stately homes.

19 Been smacked in the mouth by my mic many times when drunken punters have fallen into my mic stand. Which they seem to think is hilarious. 

20 I’m not known for being quiet. 

• Thanks 1

01 Ever played a gig sitting down? Several times.

02 Ever gigged on a different instrument? Is double bass counted... well vocals.

03 Ever shared a stage with a musical hero of yours? Yes, certain local vocalist, that had been doing his stuff for ages. He was incredible as always.

04 Any fan ever had a tatoo of your band's logo? No, no!

05 Ever signed an autograph in a dressing room? To the receipt...

06 Ever cried on stage? I would say that sometimes the music takes me along and the feelings change a lot.

07 Ever worn a hat on stage? I think so.

08 Ever gigged with a band you hadn't met before the gig? Yes. Jazz.

09 Ever been in a relationship with a fellow band member? No.

10 Ever played in different bands on the same day? Yes, three.

11 Ever had anything thrown at you while playing? A bassist that stands always in the furthest corner? Come on, no chance.

12 Ever crashed on the way to the gig? Last November a young West End boy hit my 30 year old Alfa Romeo 33. I am still fixing it.

13 Ever left a band over the choice of set list? No.

14 Ever slept in the venue despite it not being a hotel? Do not remember.

15 Ever been supported by a band clearly better than you? Can't say so.

16 Ever played a gig suffering from some debilitating medical condition? Once, it was terrible. The fever tried to kill me.

17 Ever been in a band where the guitarist was your favourite bandmate? Yes, once.

18 Ever played in the grounds of a stately home? Don't think so.

19 Ever injured yourself on stage? There have been few pretty close situations, but luckily no.

20 Ever been told that your bass isn't loud enough? Many times. I have been thinking that it is enough, if I hear my playing.

FEW EXTRAS:

String broken: several times, but no more.

Bass broken: Once the wiring was defect, but managed to fix it before the gig.

PA broken/forgotten: once/once.

There have been two times, when some lady has, well you know... this equals once in 15 years. I am still hopeful!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1