Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 fretboard inlays

omikin

Hi there,

I have a 4003 from 1996 (according to the Rickenbacker serial number tracker), and the triangular fretboard inlays go as far as the E and G strings, but I notice on current (and some older) models, they seem to go right to the binding on the edge of the neck. I have found images of other '96 4003s where the inlays look the same as mine, but I was a bit spooked.

Do any of you guys have 4003s from this era with similar inlays? Or any info about them?

My Fireglo 4003 is from 1999 and has inlays just like yours. Someone will provide a a date (or range) when changes occurred. I recall that they changed from VOC to lower VOC lacquers and added the vintage tone pull pot around 2005-ish. Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, omikin said:

Hi there,

I have a 4003 from 1996 (according to the Rickenbacker serial number tracker), and the triangular fretboard inlays go as far as the E and G strings, but I notice on current (and some older) models, they seem to go right to the binding on the edge of the neck. I have found images of other '96 4003s where the inlays look the same as mine, but I was a bit spooked.

Do any of you guys have 4003s from this era with similar inlays? Or any info about them?

If you Google Rickenbacker basses you’ll see the features have varied hugely over the years. Body proportions have changed several times, neck size and shape have changed many times, pickups have changed many times, some have binding, some no binding, some chequered binding, inlays have gone from full width to full width crushed pearl back to different full width to smaller spoured resin and back to full width again, truss rod cover materials have changed, pot values have changed, etc etc. I’ve had about 20 Rics from late ‘60s to recent and no two have been exactly the same. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole and find about more about your bass, go to the online Rickenbacker Resource Forum, or buy Paul Boyer’s great book. 

Edited by 4000

Apparently from '73 they switched to non-full width inlays (and I did have a 1980 4001, so I should have known this) and then in about 2008 back to full width.

It's just possible people have bigger things to worry about right now, but I thought I would share, nonetheless.

53 minutes ago, omikin said:

It's just possible people have bigger things to worry about right now, but I thought I would share, nonetheless.

On the contrary, I think we need more distraction at this time. Yes there are far bigger issues at the moment, but there is also an awful lot more time for the majority of us to worry about those issues, which is not good. 

Thank you for sharing though, it's all good info. 🙂

I had a 4003, built in 2005, and that didn't have the "full width" inlays either.

They started doing the full width inlays again around 2006 when they started adding the "Vintage Circuit" as standard as well.

And Paul Boyer's book is a good resource too.

Geddy's Big Beautiful Book of Bass is good for doing rabbit hole research.

Edited by Skybone

• 6 months later...