Why become a member? ×

Sneaky Jazz

Cuzzie

Evening,

Well another frankenbuild for me.

Always fancied a sneaky hidden pick up so.....

Regular jazz body (unsure make and Wood- but standard Fender dimensions).

Seymour Duncan AJJ-1 pick ups all wired standard vol/vol/tone.

I am adding a Bassculture humbucker bar under the pickguard close to the neck. I want to experiment with some more deep sub type tones alongside the standard Jazz affair.

D89F7EDF-EC29-43B0-87B3-D7DFBC89BBAD.thumb.jpeg.892335dcfb3db9594d477516f9937543.jpeg

I plan on simply wiring the bucker with a push/pull volume pot so it’s series/parallel. I’ll then send that straight to the output jack. Obviously drill a hole in the pick guard.

Used a Noll one for this before, trying a CTS this time. Red Splodge is approximate knob placement (May change) and blue is sort of where the wires are going out into the original cavity rout and in. The output wire will be back out the long horizontal. Doing this to keep pick up wire length for any other fun if I don’t like.

Awating pot and the plate so did this to pass the time and I wish I had a router - a Firsch Forstner bit and a dremel is fine, but takes ages!

340ED464-C5DF-4A2B-B4C8-651E4FF59F2B.thumb.jpeg.a5e4832fe7628957fd0405406308c3c7.jpeg

DEA823F7-7AE1-4F47-B5A5-AA211A01E5A2.thumb.jpeg.2b4753ffdfb82e545bea1245691d268a.jpeg

I’ll borrow a neck from another bass. when it’s wired if I like the sound I’ll get a black kickass bridge and ideally a Status jazz neck. I could use from another build for proof of concept.

Bridge pick up output is 3.2, neck 4.2 and bucker 5.2 - so I hope it all matches.

Nothing as adept as some of the other chaps here and their building skills but hopefully a fun mod, which suits what I hope to achieve sonically

• Like 5

Absolutely no idea, it could be crap, could be just a low rumble to accentuate the sharpness of the jazz bridge pick up. One idea I had was to link it directly to the bridge pick up but changed my mind.

Worse case I cut a hole in the pickguard, I am using a black one and raise it up - it’s a close enough colour to still look dark and sleek