Why become a member? ×

18mm ply: What's it good for?

Marvin

I have 4 pieces of 450mm x 1225mm  18mm ply. It's ok ply. I suspect it's not totally void free, but it's decent enough. Having read quite a few cab building threads over the years on here over the years, 12mm is the usual favourite. However, I got this 18mm free. It was supposed to be for something else but isn't suitable.

To the speaker cab/audio boffins. Is it enough to make a speaker cab? If so, what speaker could I chuck in it?

Cheers ta and etc.

19 hours ago, Marvin said:

To the speaker cab/audio boffins. Is it enough to make a speaker cab? If so, what speaker could I chuck in it?

Cheers ta and etc.

There's enough there for 120+ litres of cabinet. Enough for a 2x12 or a 1x15 and stil have some spare bits over - you'll always need spare bits for handle re-inforcement and big castors etc,. Heavy yes, but imagine Phil's project with another 12" Beyma!

22 hours ago, Balcro said:

There's enough there for 120+ litres of cabinet. Enough for a 2x12 or a 1x15 and stil have some spare bits over - you'll always need spare bits for handle re-inforcement and big castors etc,. Heavy yes, but imagine Phil's project with another 12" Beyma!

There's also almost enough for a couple of 1x12's. Easily enough to build one of Stevie's Basschat mk 3 super FRFR speaker. A 2x10 would be good too.

@Marvin Given the lock down the gang here would be happy to design you something and talk you through the build, so long as you did a build diary we could all share.

How much do you want to spend on drivers? Do you have a budget in mind? What sort of sound do you go for/ music do you play?

30 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Every time I read the title my mind says:

Absolutely nothing. Say ut again UH!  

for some reason. :D

28 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Me too!

I’m slightly different, I think of it along Monty Python lines, so my answer is “building bridges”.

On 10/04/2020 at 12:20, Stub Mandrel said:

To answer the question in the title, it's great for topping workbenches.

Or building commercial cabs. Most use 18mm, because it's less expensive to build a minimally braced, or even unbraced, cab from 18mm than it is to build a well braced cab from 12mm due to the higher labor cost of bracing.

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Or building commercial cabs. Most use 18mm, because it's less expensive to build a minimally braced, or even unbraced, cab from 18mm than it is to build a well braced cab from 12mm due to the higher labor cost of bracing.

Stiffness of board is proportional to tht cube of thickness so 18mm will be (best Hugh Cornwell voice - let me pause for reflection) over 3 times as stiff as 12mm board for 1 1/2 time the weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

That we can agree on. Now, about a car trunk. It got that name because they originally looked like this:

22t-byQOZFqAoHJy6Ezndq1AUhVeCJ-JscfQJvd0

How do you get 'boot' from that? 🙄

A boot was originally a storage box on a horse-drawn carriagem, in contrast to a suitcase strapped on as an afterthought. 🙂

Just as a bonnet is more up-market headgear than a hood 🙂