Why become a member? ×

Stop Press: Man transforms unloved bass

stewblack

Picked up a PJ in a trade. Already had my share of basses but my sale ad wasn't shifting. 

This was a while back and it has cut a forlorn figure, gathering dust, unloved in the corner of my room. 

Why so? I couldn't really say. There was just something vague, unremarkable about it. It seemed somehow insubstantial both in feel and sound. 

The exciting news is that I have restrung with Detroit Flats by The Bass Centre and replaced the pickup with a Kent Armstrong Vintage.

Exciting to me I should probably say. It now sounds resilient, supple and exuberant. And those flats! They've transformed the tactile experience entirely. 

I don't know why I'm surprised that pickup and strings should be so crucial to the instrument. And yet it amazes me every time just how powerful is the effect they can have. 

• Like 1

testing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BQlF9m9K14cl2kL3DhVd9963u9AHrWf8/view?usp=sharing

The above is a little test I did with three of my P basses.

1st line = the 7ender with the new pup and Detroit Flats

2nd line = Bruce Thomas Profile with Stadium Elites rounds

3rd line = Bass Centre power bass with Detroit Flats

then the three lines repeated.

Had I thought to do this before the restring you would have thought the 7ender wasn't actually on the recording! Now it is right up there. The surprise is how bright the Power Bass is with those flats on. But there is very little in it. All recorded totally dry, same settings, pots wide open.

Edited by stewblack

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Exciting to me I should probably say. It now sounds resilient, supple and exuberant. And those flats! They've transformed the tactile experience entirely. 

I don't know why I'm surprised that pickup and strings should be so crucial to the instrument. And yet it amazes me every time just how powerful is the effect they can have. 

Too true! I love an upgraded cheaper bass. 

I have a cheap Aria P with a Quarter Pounder PU and Chromes on it, it just feels right. It's lovely and worn in and my go to bass at home. 

Now show that bass some love and let it languish in the corner no more. 

• Like 1