Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II IGB65 controls/preamp problem

Graulges

I got out my aria bass after a bit of a layoff while I concentrated on the VM fretless jazz and it seems something has gone very wrong with the pots and or the preamp the only pot working properly is the volume the others do nothing or virtually nothing and one crackles and disconnects. I've helpfully forgotten which is which and as they're not doing anything I can't work out which is which. The battery is fresh and fully charges. I've also tried contact cleaner.

My options seem to be either replacing the pots and seeing if the preamp is fine or replacing the whole lot bearing in mind that the bass although very nice is not worth a great deal...... and I'm fairly broke. I've not managed to track down an ME3 preamp online so I'd be grateful for suggestions. Is it worth doing the pots first or is it likely to be a waste of money? Suggestions gratefully received.

IGB65 (1 of 1).jpg

IGB65 preamp].jpg

Edited by Graulges

Hello, do you have a multimeter? It's likely to just be a bad connection somewhere shouldn't be too much work to find the issue (I am a huge fan of aria integra basses, had one of the passive ones as a first bass and have a short scale one sitting next to me right now. They are far better basses than the price tag would have you believe. 

Matt 

I would start by checking that power is getting to the preamp, then I'd investigate the jack socket as this is acting as the on-off switch, you should be able to check each of the pots as well, I'd suggest that as soon as you have checked the power it would be sensible to remove the battery and maybe unplug the preamp as it is a sealed unit so it won't be possible to fix anything inside of it, if all the other connections are solid then it will be new preamp time. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2020 at 11:23, Matt P said:

I would start by checking that power is getting to the preamp, then I'd investigate the jack socket as this is acting as the on-off switch, you should be able to check each of the pots as well, I'd suggest that as soon as you have checked the power it would be sensible to remove the battery and maybe unplug the preamp as it is a sealed unit so it won't be possible to fix anything inside of it, if all the other connections are solid then it will be new preamp time.

Right, some of the pots are dead so I'll order some replacements and all being well I'll be good to go. Thanks again for your advice.

Edited by Graulges