Why become a member? ×

I'm stripping my bass, what should I apply for a natural finish?

So my Stingray could do with a paint strip due to some unsightly knocks and dents taken over the years and I'm going to leave it natural. It's a sunburst body, so I can see the grain through the finish and it looks good. 
My friend has the tools/space to help me do it, but I'm looking for advice on what to coat/seal the wood with after the finish has been removed?
I've included 2 pics below for the kind of colouring I'd like to go for. Any advice/brands/products would be greatly appreciated! 
image.thumb.png.965e43b42eaccb791a0c75ae04901e03.png90559650_1343204212547027_8379890165576892416_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=KUQ3AfmUT20AX8GH87Z&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=67c3ba93e79dca1b8ac802231042edd6&oe=5EB29D18

1 minute ago, gary mac said:

Tru Oil would be my choice. Fairly easy to apply, looks and feels good.  

This stuff? I'm looking for something that won't add any/too much colour to the natural colour of the wood. I'm guessing from the name (compared to their other oils) that this will be suitable?

WPbq9GWPf1iVxWlo11wPn5rSauEmP3rX-24_1800x1800.jpg?v=1553227635

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gary mac said:

Yes, that's it. It very slightly darkens over time. Just trying to find some pics of my P bass build that I finished with tru oil.

Sounds good.  little bit of darkening wouldn't go amiss, the bass has a maple neck which, along with the headstock, have naturally darkened ever so slightly in the 10 years I've owned it, so I wouldn't want the body to look too fresh/sandy anyway :)

Another +1 for Tru-Oil.  I stripped a Bass a few years ago and did it in tru-oil and it worked a treat.

Really easy to apply (literally rub on with a cloth).  Let dry, rub gently with steel wool & re-coat, repeat until you're happy with how much it shines.                                                                               

• Like 1

I've had good results with the Crimson Guitars finishing oil. From what I remember, they reverse engineered Tru-Oil and tweaked it a bit for guitar purposes. I forget the details.

I'm not affiliated by the way, I just find it to work pretty well, and it's good that there are lots of demonstrations on their youtube channel.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

An oil finish is nice, but bear in mind you won't be able to refinish at a later date with any form of varnish/lacquer as the oil will sink into the wood and react with anything you subsequently attempt to apply. So be sure you really want to do it before proceeding. 

• Like 1