Why become a member? ×

Decent p bass under£350

jassbass

The Vintage V4 is a great bass, I have the Tony Butler Sig version and it’s a seriously good instrument, not just for the money, just good full stop. The necks are quite chunky on them, and the pickups - certainly the ones in my TB - sound very similar to the Custom Shop 62s that came in Fender US Standards.

I’ve not played a CV Precision but I do have a VM77 Jazz and as above, great instrument, I can’t think that the quality of the CV Precision wouldn’t at least match the VM.

So I’d be happy with either.

43 minutes ago, jassbass said:

Hi anyone know of any decent p bass under £350

Thoughts on vintage v4

Squire vibe 

Any others?thanks 

I know you said "under" £350. However, if you add £49, you can currently get one of the G&L Tribute LB-100 basses (in sunburst, Olympic white or natural) and they offer great value for money (and they used to cost more than £500). There is also a thread here on BC:  

59 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The Vintage V4 is a great bass, I have the Tony Butler Sig version and it’s a seriously good instrument, not just for the money, just good full stop. The necks are quite chunky on them, and the pickups - certainly the ones in my TB - sound very similar to the Custom Shop 62s that came in Fender US Standards.

I’ve not played a CV Precision but I do have a VM77 Jazz and as above, great instrument, I can’t think that the quality of the CV Precision wouldn’t at least match the VM.

So I’d be happy with either.

Thanks think thats my no1 at moment

New only £270

• Like 1

+1 for Vintage, Revelation and , if you can find one second hand, a Bass Collection P bass. They are seriously good.

Harley Benton Enhanced is probably the most crazy good value for money anywhere - and is under £300.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mp_4mn_natural.htm

However shipping from Germany might be a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

I currently have one eye on a Sire P7 (P/J) which Is on sale at Anderton’s for £369 in White Blonde. No experience with them but I hear good things about them, such as the preamp being very good but that it has a great passive tone too. 

Thomann are low in stock e.g. the only available Enhanced PJ as mentioned above is either B-Stock or an unattractive (to me) blue. 🥶

54 minutes ago, bnt said:

I currently have one eye on a Sire P7 (P/J) which Is on sale at Anderton’s for £369 in White Blonde. No experience with them but I hear good things about them, such as the preamp being very good but that it has a great passive tone too. 

Thomann are low in stock e.g. the only available Enhanced PJ as mentioned above is either B-Stock or an unattractive (to me) blue. 🥶

I like sires they are great.But im looking for just a percision

The sire p7 are great but more like a jazz 

I've had a vintage v4 blk which are about £230 new, and it was great. Very acceptable bass, good sound and easy to play. Crazy value. The tony butler ones that lozz has look great, and at £270 you'll struggle to get anything better for the money.

The v4s have different neck finishes (satin or varnished) depending on which model you get, so check that out first.

The g&l lb100 tributes are a step up from that (imo). The quality, materials and finish are superb and they are built like tanks. Genuinely feel like a £1000 bass to me.

Both of these recorded great. The lb100 just sat perfectly in any genre I tried, and balance was superb.

If it doesn't need to be Precision bass shaped I'd toss Yamamahaha into the ring, their BB424 does a great P sound and more, of course, with the J.  Also a Westone Thunder 1 - one of the early ones with the split humbucker.

4 hours ago, jassbass said:

Hi anyone know of any decent p bass under £350

Thoughts on vintage v4

Squire vibe 

Any others?thanks 

You can’t really go wrong with a passive P because they’re so basic. My favourite that I’ve owned is a mexican fender that I swapped the pickups to Lindy fralin. With flats it’s now up there with any post ‘70 fender.

I have a Vintage V4 great bass,great bass fit and finish is great QC is good on these solid neck Wilkinson parts and secondhand can be had very cheap,also I had a revelation jazz bass for the money that thing sounded great and im no big fan of jazz basses,i think I had to mess with setup on the revelation but the vintage was perfect very low action an no buzz very good fret work.

16 hours ago, stewblack said:

However shipping from Germany might be a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Very recently received a bass from Bulgaria without any issues so the courier network still appears to be functioning OK.  European shipment (parts) on its way too as I type.

• Like 1

I bought a Classic Vibe 70s Precision bass just before lockdown. It’s a great bass, sounds like a P, plays like a P. £339 brand new. I was heading down the Vintage Tony Butler route but I wanted to put some money in the pocket of my local music shop which only had the Squiers in stock. 

I’m very happy with it. They’re easy to come by if nothing else! 

3D7DE935-35FF-4E5F-BEF4-B88959DEF44F.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Williams4S said:

I bought a Classic Vibe 70s Precision bass just before lockdown. It’s a great bass, sounds like a P, plays like a P. £339 brand new. I was heading down the Vintage Tony Butler route but I wanted to put some money in the pocket of my local music shop which only had the Squiers in stock. 

I’m very happy with it. They’re easy to come by if nothing else! 

3D7DE935-35FF-4E5F-BEF4-B88959DEF44F.jpeg

That’s a great looking bass.

• Like 1

I have a 4 year old black and maple Mexican P that I’m looking to move on. Not had the motivation to advertise it yet but it’s  here if you’re interested. Not sure on posting with this lockdown though. Might have to wait til it’s all over.

I have a Vintage V4 Icon. I bought it as an experiment to see how I get on with a P-style instrument. I absolutely love mine. It's fairly lightweight and comfortable to play. I was able to get the action about as low as you'd want it on something like this. Mine sounds quite punchy which is a good thing. Some P basses I've heard although lovely and warm, lack definition. These wouldn't lend themselves very well to my touch which seems to bring out darker tones in most basses. Basically, with my chunky fingers, I need all the help I can get to be heard clearly! Hardware all does it's job well as you'd expect from Wilkinson stuff. Only problem I've experienced is a hum when I touch the pole pieces, particularly on the bass side of the pickup. I'm on the case trying to figure out how to remedy this as it's an otherwise great sounding thing. 

It's definitely given me the P-bass bug. I'm currently on the search for my ideal P bass. Not sure whether this will be a vintage Fender, a Nash or Limelight type thing or something else. In any case, this relatively cheap (£130 second-hand!) Vintage bass has definitely opened the door and I'll be hanging on to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willgatesbass said:

I have a Vintage V4 Icon. I bought it as an experiment to see how I get on with a P-style instrument. I absolutely love mine. It's fairly lightweight and comfortable to play. I was able to get the action about as low as you'd want it on something like this. Mine sounds quite punchy which is a good thing. Some P basses I've heard although lovely and warm, lack definition. These wouldn't lend themselves very well to my touch which seems to bring out darker tones in most basses. Basically, with my chunky fingers, I need all the help I can get to be heard clearly! Hardware all does it's job well as you'd expect from Wilkinson stuff. Only problem I've experienced is a hum when I touch the pole pieces, particularly on the bass side of the pickup. I'm on the case trying to figure out how to remedy this as it's an otherwise great sounding thing. 

It's definitely given me the P-bass bug. I'm currently on the search for my ideal P bass. Not sure whether this will be a vintage Fender, a Nash or Limelight type thing or something else. In any case, this relatively cheap (£130 second-hand!) Vintage bass has definitely opened the door and I'll be hanging on to it. 

I did a piece on stopping the hum when I did my v4 up.

Itll be under a title something along the lines of 'john deacon bass'.

It's literally taking the scratchplate off and covering what you can with aluminium tape. Costs about £5.

Did it for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

I did a piece on stopping the hum when I did my v4 up.

Itll be under a title something along the lines of 'john deacon bass'.

It's literally taking the scratchplate off and covering what you can with aluminium tape. Costs about £5.

Did it for me.

Thanks man. I’ll check it out!