Why become a member? ×

8D Music

ClassicVibes

Interesting - I'll check this out. I do a lot of gigs as a monitor engineer and toured a 3D mixing system for IEMs with an artist I worked with last year, which I was over the moon with. Be interested to hear how this stuff is processed and whether it's a similar result. 

If you're that way inclined, check out Klang (https://www.klang.com/en/home) - you feed it individual channels or stems from your console and you can place them anywhere in the horizontal or vertical plane to create a fully 3D image in your IEMs. I was sceptical before trying it but it's incredible. The actual hardware to use it live is a fair few quid, but you can download the software for free and run the demo mode, which comes with a load of multitracks that you can mess about with. It's the next big leap in monitoring, IMO.

Although the hardware isn't out for this bit yet, the software has implemented motion tracking too, so you can position elements in your ears as they appear around you on stage, and they'll move with you as you turn your head!

• Like 1

It does seem to go around the back from right to left and around the front the other way.

It reminds me of that recording that did the rounds years ago of the Italian (?) barber. Anyone remember that?

4 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Sounds much like stereo to me.

Well it is isn't it, but it sounds good. Using a binaural microphone I suppose. 

The OP is just stereo as well isn't it? I'm not sure quite what can be 8D about it. 

To my deaf old ears  there is a clarity to the recording that is er... refreshing to listen to...  but the constant panning left right right left gets annnoying very quickly... feels like 1968 all over again.

....Number 9..... Number 9

The Barber shop bit with the bag over the head at 1.18 is astonishing and a bit spooky!! 

As others have said above, apart from that we supposed to hear lateral movement up down front back ?

What are we listening out for ?

Not really getting this unfortunately and I wish I was ☹️

Edited by blisters on my fingers

When I first heard the haircut video a while a go I was quite surprised how well the audio worked. This was with my Bose QC35’s. Just listened on my cheaper in ears that I use for the gym and although still convincing, not quite as detailed.

Quite a lot of those videos sound quite convincing to me. I think it helps to have visuals as well, as this helps the brain position what you are hearing. 
Not to sure about the music tracks of Spotify etc. Without knowing where the instruments are supposed to be its harder to track them. Cool effect though and it does seem to open up the mix, but also adds a lot of extra phase shifting.