Why become a member? ×

Stingray pickup - at the correct spot, passive... definitely Stingray

mcnach

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I know nothing about them and I’ve only tried a stingray once ,and it was a bit bright sounding for what I play, but after seeing some of these I’m thinking, I need one 🙂

Put flats on, it’s 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

The Seymour Duncan one is not really a clone, and it is substantially different. Not bad, just different. I didn't love it when I had one on an OLP. I have no experience with the Aguilar one. John East also makes one based on his own '76 Stingray which is very nice and comes as a 2-band, or 3-band (not the Stingray 3-band, but the 2-band *plus* a semiparametric mids module), which are very nice.

Apologies - I didn’t mean clone, I meant their version - been watching too much Star wars

• Haha 1

On 07/04/2020 at 15:34, police squad said:

It was made by Retrovibe, it's a Renegade. It was a prototype body and neck which I bought from them with this finish, I believe one more was made in this colour and is owned by 12 string bassist who is on BC.

It has checkerboard binding too!!

Retrovibes are fun for a bit of mucking about - I've got one (slightly different theme, though).

NNNeqGK.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sshorepunk said:

Andy, my blue 'ray from the sterling thread had a Seymour Duncan pick up in it, Alnico version if I remember correctly, did a good stingray job in my opinion

If you need close up of my sterling, you are more than welcome

Tony

Cheers mate - ended up with an Aguilar and East setup from @bagsieblue

think eventually it’ll be Ice blue metallic respray and a pearl pickguard...

see how we go - will look like a bit of a patchwork for a bit. No more pennies in the pot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Cheers mate - ended up with an Aguilar and East setup from @bagsieblue

think eventually it’ll be Ice blue metallic respray and a pearl pickguard...

see how we go - will look like a bit of a patchwork for a bit. No more pennies in the pot.

Well, that should sound alright!

On 12/04/2020 at 12:41, AndyTravis said:

Now I’m hoping someone somewhere has the guts of a USA stingray going spare.

There is a clone of the preamp board - he went into some detail for the research: https://www.musikding.de/Classic-Bass-Preamp-Preamp-kit

Here is a google translate link to the orignal article: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fandyszeugs.wordpress.com%2Fmusicman-stingray-classic-preamp%2F

My MM pickup arrived this morning but I had an email from work two days ago saying we won't be back to work before July so I've got nothing to paint it with. I might have to think up something crazy if I can't go for a standard paint finish. The body is already in primer so can't be left as it was. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question that's not specifically Stingray related but I'll ask it here as this thread got quite a bit of traffic. 

I started work on the Prejazzray today and need to order a control plate, everything will be budget with this build as I'm mainly using up parts. I've got a Warman pickup with the four wires and have decided to wire it with a volume, tone and a series/parallel switch, I can really see any point adding in the single coil option as it'll just be a weak jazz tone, if folks know better then I'm open to being educated. 

What I want to do is use a rotary switch for the series/parallel so it looks the same as the volume and tone knobs, but does such a thing exist (cheaply)? I know I could add a push/pull pot or a mini toggle, but I like the idea of just the three matching knobs. So what's out there folks?

🙂

• 2 weeks later...

It's cut, drilled, filled and painted, although the lacquer needs doing again but shhh 😄, so this is just a mock up but a Precison body, lefty Jazz neck and Ray hardware works. I'll lacquer it again tomorrow and then rebuild time. 🙂

20200505_102851.thumb.jpg.295bed21f1f8a1591f9f112714063a15.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Maude said:

It's cut, drilled, filled and painted, although the lacquer needs doing again but shhh 😄, so this is just a mock up but a Precison body, lefty Jazz neck and Ray hardware works. I'll lacquer it again tomorrow and then rebuild time. 🙂

20200505_102851.thumb.jpg.295bed21f1f8a1591f9f112714063a15.jpg

Looks nice - but point of order, not a real Ray bridge.

Is that a real Ray pick up and 2 band EQ (I someone previously said it was) - if so what did the previous owner do with the rest of the instrument it came from? 🤔 They are normally almost unobtainium!! 

30 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Looks nice - but point of order, not a real Ray bridge.

Is that a real Ray pick up and 2 band EQ (I someone previously said it was) - if so what did the previous owner do with the rest of the instrument it came from? 🤔 They are normally almost unobtainium!! 

I meant Ray style hardware. Nothing is genuine. SX body, Harley Benton neck, Warman pickup, ebay bridge and control plate. The electrics will be passive with a tone, volume and rotary switch to select between bridge single coil/series/parallel/neck single coil. 

Obviously nothing like an actual Stingray but I used up a load of bits I had kicking about and spent about fifty quid on the bits I don't have. 

I now have a nice looking, and hopefully nice sounding bass for £50 and used up some bits that were in the way. 

🙂