Why become a member? ×

Stingray pickup - at the correct spot, passive... definitely Stingray

mcnach

2 minutes ago, pete.young said:

You'd be better off with the distance from the 12th fret to the coil centres.

Yes you're probably right, at the moment the neck doesn't fit the body anyway so I've got some measuring to do. It fits the pocket but the neck has a curved end and the pocket straight. I'll probably file the actual neck flat to suit the pocket and leave the curved end of the fretboard to overhang the body slightly. This will possibly result in needing to move the bridge slightly to get the scale right, that's why I didn't want to just slap the PU where the hole in the guard is. But as you say, the measurement from the neck end will be more consistent (once the neck is fitted. 

This is all just thoughts from the garden at the moment as I've got three other builds in mid swing at the moment, and I haven't even done any kind of measuring on the neck or body. It'll all be easy enough to sort, I just want to make sure u get that PU in exactly the right place. 

🙂

16 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Yeah - Ive had it just over 18 months - now needs new strings - weighs around 8 lbs. Got a bit of banter from some band mates when I first got it asking if I was starting a glam rock band!! 

That is stunning , probably one of the nicest  stingrays I’ve seen, I imagine it sounds immense 🙂

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

That blue sparkle Stingray... ufffff... everytime I see it I feel my hand reaching out for the credit card, and I am not a fan of either sparkle or rosewood fingerboards, but that one is just stunning!

Thanks! Just been playing it acoustically - I really must change the strings!!! 

I got this bridge from Retrovibe on eBay for my Sub Ray 4. 
The barrels are too narrow so I swapped them for the originals to get the correct string spacing. 
some anxious moments aligning and measuring and this is the result.

I might try removing the preamp to see what it sounds like now.

33833430-CA24-4BDB-887D-8959DA5E7105.jpeg

6A536686-F56A-4088-84B5-3C44AA9D0919.jpeg

• Like 1

Right - I’m in on this.

I’ve owned 6 stingrays, love the sound but always seem to want more for my money.

Recently had a Modulus Flea, and it was lush - but not Stingray-ish enough.

Anyhow, I have my donor body and neck.

Now I’m hoping someone somewhere has the guts of a USA stingray going spare.

6 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Can someone definitively state the distance, on a real Ray, from the 12th fret to the front edge of the pickup?

Answers on a postcard, please!

I’m going to use a MM pickguard, get the definitive spot. Hoping @Normski has a spare he can lend me for measurements.

53 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Can someone definitively state the distance, on a real Ray, from the 12th fret to the front edge of the pickup?

Agh! I measured from the 13th fret!!! It still works, since the fret you choose is arbitrary, just make sure you measure from the right one on yours! :facepalm:

IMG_20200412_133907960.jpg?dl=1

Edited by mcnach

I transformed an Ibanez Blazer that had a split in it's body into a different beast last year, always fancied a Stingray type bass.

With a Seymour Duncan MM pup and John East pre it certainly does not sound like a Blazer any more..😎

Build diary is here .. https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/337115-the-blazerray-now-finished/

Couple of pics of the finished bass I named The BlazerRay..

IMG_20190304_142726884_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190304_143818102.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m going to use a MM pickguard, get the definitive spot. Hoping @Normski has a spare he can lend me for measurements.

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

I've posted this before (even in this thread) but you should measure from the 12th fret

image.thumb.jpeg.a0634f7d42c64fffaf66102b400c6796.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.48aeb6653ba75b23751a94373c343746.jpeg

ps it's in inches because that's how Americans measure things (imperial) and they're American basses 😏

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Right - I’m in on this.

I’ve owned 6 stingrays, love the sound but always seem to want more for my money.

Recently had a Modulus Flea, and it was lush - but not Stingray-ish enough.

Anyhow, I have my donor body and neck.

Now I’m hoping someone somewhere has the guts of a USA stingray going spare.

@AndyTravis I think you stand little chance of that - however you could buy an Aguilar pick up and EQ or one of the others (Nordstrand pu plus John East preamp for instance) - they're meant to do a good job.

However, I think you need the two pick up version to get that 'little extra' - actually a lot extra - if you tweak the EQ you get lots of cool sounds 👍

The 2 pu with both pick ups on humbucker coils makes the most wonderful sound - nice scooped slap sound as well but there are others - plus of course the standard Stingray sound as well - though they're 3 band, turning the mid down a lot and boosting bass and treble a touch gets you in 2 band proximity (I have a Sabre with 2 band EQ so can vouch for that being correct). 

Edited by drTStingray

24 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I know nothing about them and I’ve only tried a stingray once ,and it was a bit bright sounding for what I play, but after seeing some of these I’m thinking, I need one 🙂

I've played ska and reggae on one for years... ;) Go on!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The 2 pu with both pick ups on humbucker coils makes the most wonderful sound - nice scooped slap sound as well but there are others - plus of course the standard Stingray sound as well - though they're 3 band, turning the mid down a lot and boosting bass and treble a touch gets you in 2 band proximity (I have a Sabre with 2 band EQ so can vouch for that being correct). 

Now wondering whether to put two pickups in. 🤔

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well I’ve got some offers of bits coming in - @drTStingray I appreciate the idea of 2pu, but really this is just so I have an MM sound in my rack without having to buy another ray.

And I fancy messing with a bass - not done it for a bit.

That's exactly my reasons, but Fleabag liked the Warman MM pickup and it's only £20 so it would almost be rude not do a twin PU. But the vanity whore in me prefers the look of a single PU Ray. 

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Use the measuring from the frets, if the neck heel joint is not in the same place in relation to what your bass is compared to the Ray, it will be off, even by millimetres which will make a difference.

Getting an official Ray pre-amp is quite hard, they don’t send them out willy nilly, I think Aggie and possibly Seymour Duncan do clones

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Use the measuring from the frets, if the neck heel joint is not in the same place in relation to what your bass is compared to the Ray, it will be off, even by millimetres which will make a difference.

Getting an official Ray pre-amp is quite hard, they don’t send them out willy nilly, I think Aggie and possibly Seymour Duncan do clones

Don’t you worry about me sunshine. I’m doin alright...21 fret bass is the donor. 21 fret stingray pickguard kindly on loan from @Normski on its way. 

Then @bagsieblue has stingray guts strewn all across his house.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

People have had great results with the John East pre-amps. He's showing out of stock at the moment but might be worth a call, he's a nice chap very friendly and helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

The Seymour Duncan one is not really a clone, and it is substantially different. Not bad, just different. I didn't love it when I had one on an OLP. I have no experience with the Aguilar one. John East also makes one based on his own '76 Stingray which is very nice and comes as a 2-band, or 3-band (not the Stingray 3-band, but the 2-band *plus* a semiparametric mids module), which are very nice.