Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* TV yellow (uber rare) Gibson SG bass
£1100
London

Clarky

Well, I looked for one of these for years and one popped up in February in France (I have only ever seen one other in the UK) so I snaffled it. Its a fabulous bass in near-mint condition but I have to recoup the cost of a custom shop bass that just arrived and - in truth - I don't need a short scale back-up to my fabulous '71 Mustang (nothing touches it, in my opinion). So I would like to recoup my outlay of £1100 . Bear in mind, these are super-rare and its in amazing, next-to-unplayed-looking condition bar the typical swirls on the black pickguard (a new SG bass in standard cherry is £1,199). Delivery only in these strange times. PS, comes with fitted Gibson hard case which has a few scratches and dents.

* Fundraiser so no trades, thanks *

Background and pics here:

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, chris7273 said:

Really nice. Is it a nitro lacquer oa poly finish ? 

I think Gibson always use nitro. It is (remarkably, given its 14 years old) free of dings. The paint is quite thick which may explain, together with it looking as if the bass had rarely if ever left its case, why its in such great condition

Edit: I just found another for sale thread from the US a few years back that describes it as a "faded nitrocellulose finish".

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

Bit more info from googling:

"In 2006 a limited number of custom finish instruments were produced, intended for the Japanese market: Coral Pink, Canary Yellow, and Coral Blue (though often referred to as Caribbean blue). These were not widely distributed to US dealers, though odd examples did appear online"

Screenshot_20200407-141748_Google.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tom, these were a special custom run in 2006 for Japan under the name 'Beach series'. I am afraid I don't know how many were made but my post above (on Tuesday, with the three colour schemes picture) states it was "a limited run" based on a TalkBass article. They appear occasionally for sale in Australia, infrequently in the US and virtually never in Europe. 

Edited by Clarky