Why become a member? ×

First Bass

Ado

Hi. Had rang Andertons to tell them about mistake and they very kindly agreed to ship out the replacement lb100 and take away the jb at the same time.

I've been using the jb for the last week and its a really nice instrument. No faults I can see. I marginally prefer the p bass tone but just marginally.

Any perspective on this as someone new to bass? Bit afraid now of changing and getting a dud instrument or regretting the change (Really enjoying it BTW...find it much easier to sit down with and just find notes compared to guitar)

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Get a bass with a good true neck and something you like the look of. Then just practice like flip. Bass is physically demanding but well worth a bit of effort. eBay is an interesting place to look. I got my fretless posted from Wales cos I liked the look of it and the guy who sold it wrote that t makes him smile. Now, it makes me smile 🙂

13E51814-1099-49A2-B59E-790FFD632CEE.jpeg

Dozens of basses feature in the styles of music you listed in your first post. Don't limit yourself. Try as many as you can find.

Don't get tied up with the minutiae of particular sounds. Find a bass that you like to play, put a good set of strings on it, get a good sound out of it, then off you go.

6 hours ago, bazzbass said:

I don't care what bass you get, but don't get that amp. Buy a proper bass amp . Roland bass cubes are shite. 

I have never played through a good one either. So I've been unlucky, or you're quite right. 

I don't drink, sorry Ped. 

• Haha 1

I have the Roland Microcube. I bought it 'cause I wanted a battery amp. Sounds great but it's only 5 watts. (2.5x2.5) - true Jazz Chorus Effect. I could have/should have done better. Lotta $ for the convenience to play by a campfire w/ an acoustic guitarist. And if he plays hard or a jet flies overhead...

Lots of bottom and the P sound you say? Look no further than the Sandberg Electra VS4 and thank me later. Oh and Hartke combos are pretty decent - I’ve got the HD25 for the living room and occasional jam, holds up well with good tone. However if looking on the bargain front a cheap second hand TCElectronic 250W will see you smiling for a while.