Why become a member? ×

First Bass

Ado

Really appreciate all the input. Have the time to research this at the moment....aaand too much research leads to circles.

Going to pull the trigger on a Yamaha 304 over the next few days

Will let you know how I get on but looking forward to it.

18 hours ago, Jonesy said:

The Squier CVs are good basses and you won't go wrong with one as your first bass. I could be wrong, but I think the 60s and 70s p have slightly different neck profiles? I don't think there's much of a difference (if there's any), it's only a couple of mm's so you'll likely not notice it really. 

What makes you sold on the Roland? Only asking as there might be a better amp for you. 

And what's your budget? I'm pretty sure everyone here likes shopping for new gear so would be more than happy living vicariously through you and helping you spend your hard earned dosh! 

Thanks the roland only came from by experience with the guitar version.

Was online chatting with a rep from thomann today (who suggested the yamaha that I hadn't considered before) and a Hartke 50 Bass amp.

200e and seems to be reviewed well.  Like its simplicity...not a modelling amp. Happy for you to spend my money (200e absolute tops) if theres a better choice.

4 minutes ago, Ado said:

Really appreciate all the input. Have the time to research this at the moment....aaand too much research leads to circles.

Yamaha made it into the mix I see. I've always said that they don't make a bad instrument no matter what the price point or instrument. My very first bass was a Yammy BB300 and when I returned to the bass after a while away, Yamaha was my first purchase again, an RBX of some number or other.

1 hour ago, Ado said:

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Yamaha made it into the mix I see. I've always said that they don't make a bad instrument no matter what the price point or instrument. My very first bass was a Yammy BB300 and when I returned to the bass after a while away, Yamaha was my first purchase again, an RBX of some number or other.

Def not wrong there, my first "proper" bass was a Yamaha, great player, great sound, great working bass all round.

18 hours ago, Ado said:

Thanks the roland only came from by experience with the guitar version.

Was online chatting with a rep from thomann today (who suggested the yamaha that I hadn't considered before) and a Hartke 50 Bass amp.

200e and seems to be reviewed well.  Like its simplicity...not a modelling amp. Happy for you to spend my money (200e absolute tops) if theres a better choice.

So if you're talking in the region of 600-700e all in for the bass and amp I'd go for.......

Either G&L Tribute

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars?#facet:3074457345616676675713876327111710511697114115&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:3&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

And then 

Fender Rumble

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-rumble-15-v3-bass-amp

or

Orange Crush

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/orange-crush-bass-25-combo

500-550e  plus shipping. Those amps will be perfect for home use, but if you've got plans to be in a band in the near future it'd be worth spending more on the amp to save yourself buying another one when you're playing in a band

Not to undermine the very good advice on here at all, but don't fall into the trap of overthinking these things too much.

There isn't one true bass or amp that's right for everyone, but most beginner stuff nowadays is pretty good (certainly compared to the junk i learned on).

Any of these bass and amp combinations would work fine, especially if you don't yet play.

Just start at the beginning and see how you get on - what you like and don't like about how something plays. Research is good, but actually playing and getting to know yur instrument is where it's really at.

That said, a CV P bass is a good, standard bass that will see you through a lot of different styles.

Good luck tho - and well done for taking up bass!

• Thanks 1

Phenomenal responses! Thanks. Have ordered the G&L from Andertons. Much cheaper than the one on Thomanm

Orange Crush amps very hard to get...don't seem in stock anywhere. I have my Fender mustang guitar amp that I can start on 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ado said:

Phenomenal responses! Thanks. Have ordered the G&L from Andertons. Much cheaper than the one on Thomanm

Orange Crush amps very hard to get...don't seem in stock anywhere. I have my Fender mustang guitar amp that I can start on 

Photos when it arrives or it never happened 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ado said:

Awesome, what'd you end up getting? 

Go easy on your amp or you'll end up knackering it. In the meantime, pmt have the orange stock in both orange and black.... 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/orange-crush-bass-25w-bass-guitar-combo-amplifier

6 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Awesome, what'd you end up getting? 

Go easy on your amp or you'll end up knackering it. In the meantime, pmt have the orange stock in both orange and black.... 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/orange-crush-bass-25w-bass-guitar-combo-amplifier

Thanks. Blown away with the advice here. Had thought of the Hartke HD50 as an alternative. I think the orange might sound a bit better (warmer, deeper) but hard to know from online video...small difference. Hartke sounds like better value...what do you think?

I've never played through the hartke so can't really say. However, I find 50w a bit of a no man's land when it comes to amps. It's over kill for home use and not loud enough for gigging (mostly, depends how quiet your band is and what sort of pa support you have).

11 hours ago, Ado said:

Thanks. Blown away with the advice here. Had thought of the Hartke HD50 as an alternative. I think the orange might sound a bit better (warmer, deeper) but hard to know from online video...small difference. Hartke sounds like better value...what do you think?

Orange amps sound good, but lack definition in the high mids and high end. A better amp is the Fender Rumble V3 25w, lots of low end, better definition than the Orange and has an overdrive channel if you want to add some dirt. 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi. Just to follow up on this....finally got my bass yesterday...had bought the LB100 but got sent the JB in the same colour. Also got the rumble LT25 amp.

Its a fantastic instrument....frets perfectly level, good action and intonation seems perfect so I think I'll keep. With a modeling amp I'm sure I'll have no issue with the tone.

Thanks again for all the great help👍

Well it's nice to hear that you're happy with the bass that turned up, even though it's not what you ordered! 😂  Either way the Tribute line up is a great range and both are good basses, they will sound pretty different though. It might even be worth giving Andertons a shout about this too and see if they'll send on any freebies to make up for their mess up, it'll be less hassle for them to send out a few bits then deal with the return and exchange.

Was it the sunburst model you ordered? Pics please! I'm interested in picking one up myself so want something to drool over in the mean time

Edited by Jonesy

On 08/04/2020 at 01:00, Ricky 4000 said:

No help really, but I wouldn't mind trying one of those SUBs myself:

I've always found the Music Man basses too top heavy for me. I mean the top end, although I admit in this video she is getting plenty bottom end. The jury is still out for me. plus do you go for the Sub or the original?

Edited by ubit

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I've always found the Music Man basses too top heavy for me. I mean the top end, although I admit in this video she is getting plenty bottom end. The jury is still out for me. plus do you go for the Sub or the original?

I have one of the new SUB Ray4s, and the pickup/preamp combo sounds and behaves differently to a standard Stingray, and I dare say some would prefer it.  Mine has a number of QC issues though; nothing super serious, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one without seeing it first, or at least being willing to send it back.  I'm confident the OP has got a much better made bass.  It is true that if you want a Stingray style bass with a 38mm neck the options are pretty limited though, especially at £350.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, linear said:

I have one of the new SUB Ray4s, and the pickup/preamp combo sounds and behaves differently to a standard Stingray, and I dare say some would prefer it.  Mine has a number of QC issues though; nothing super serious, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one without seeing it first, or at least being willing to send it back.  I'm confident the OP has got a much better made bass.  It is true that if you want a Stingray style bass with a 38mm neck the options are pretty limited though, especially at £350.

I have always had GAS for a Stingray but as I say that thin sound made me wary. I admit to not knowing enough about them to take the plunge, especially the sub.