Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Session cake headphone amp/ mixer £9.99!

krispn

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Yes! 

If you plug your phone (or whatever music source) into one of the 'CHAIN' inputs rather than 'AUX', then the input knob only controls your instrument volume making it easy to balance the two levels (with your foot while you're playing, do i really do that?), ie not fiddling around with a phone. 

Phone volume on a decent level, then 'ME' up full 'PHONES' to a comfortable level and then just add your bass to suit with the 'INPUT' knob. 

I had mine (SC-02) for a while and never tried that, it certainly helps, thank you!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Maude said:

Yes! 

If you plug your phone (or whatever music source) into one of the 'CHAIN' inputs rather than 'AUX', then the input knob only controls your instrument volume making it easy to balance the two levels (with your foot while you're playing, do i really do that?), ie not fiddling around with a phone. 

Phone volume on a decent level, then 'ME' up full 'PHONES' to a comfortable level and then just add your bass to suit with the 'INPUT' knob. 

Thank you, I'll give it a go!

Funny just came onto BC to search SessionCake for reviews.. I need a headphone amp and have broken numerous of those Vox units over the years.. then found this thread with the Kennys offer and subsequent feeding frenzy :) .  

In the unlikely event anyone on BC who wants one doesn't have one yet, they're £19.99 on ebay with free postage 

On 15/04/2020 at 17:38, Al Krow said:

Love to hear some sound samples with and without the SBP2 if you have recording capability? 

I took delivery of a Focusrite Scarlett Solo the other day (inspired by my initial recording attempts with the SC but realising its limitations) so here is that comparison you were after. All samples are dry followed with the SBP2 added, basses are: MM type fretless fingerstyle; J type fingerstyle; J type with pick; P type fingerstyle; P type with pick.

As ever, apologies for the playing.

EDIT: SBP controls are set: bass and vol at 12 o’clock, treble at 1 o’clock.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

These devices have just been brought to my attention, and I'm very intrigued! Could be very useful for a silent rehearsal. I have a couple of questions though.

• Does the SC-02 let you use XLR for vocals and the guitar input at the same time? I'd assume yes, and you simply balance the volume with the guitar volume?
  • Battery life. How long does a good set of AA's last?
  • How does the "iOS device an an effector" work via the aux in jack? Can you use amplitube or Bias to get an amp sound?

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

These devices have just been brought to my attention, and I'm very intrigued! Could be very useful for a silent rehearsal. I have a couple of questions though.

• Does the SC-02 let you use XLR for vocals and the guitar input at the same time? I'd assume yes, and you simply balance the volume with the guitar volume?
  • How does the "iOS device an an effector" work via the aux in jack? Can you use amplitube or Bias to get an amp sound?

I know a guy might be selling one if you’re after one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I know a guy might be selling one if you’re after one. 

That'd be me!

@Greg Edwards69 drop me a line if you're interested in possibly buying it.

Unfortunately I cannot answer any of your questions above as,

• Mine doesn't have an XLR input
  • I only used mine for a few minutes to check that it works so I cannot comment on battery life
  • Sorry, I'm not an IOS user

I appreciate that none of this helps in the slightest :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I can’t tell you exactly how long the batteries last, but it’s long enough for me to forget the last time I changed them. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I have the SC01, so no idea about the XLR (although it seems like it should, the manual is downloadable).

The batteries last for ages. I use rechargeables as I have loads of them around.

you can plug an iPhone in the aux in (or the link) but obviously if you wanted to 'use it as an effector' you would have to take the output from the iPhone, so the bass would have to go into the iPhone rather than the input. So I am not sure what they are getting at there.

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have the SC01, so no idea about the XLR (although it seems like it should, the manual is downloadable).

The batteries last for ages. I use rechargeables as I have loads of them around.

you can plug an iPhone in the aux in (or the link) but obviously if you wanted to 'use it as an effector' you would have to take the output from the iPhone, so the bass would have to go into the iPhone rather than the input. So I am not sure what they are getting at there.

I looked at the pdf manual earlier, but it's rather simplified and doesn't give the information I was after

Good to know about the battery life.

Yamaha's session cake webpage says that if you use the 4 pole cable supplied (TRRS) you can use an ios device to record and use effects apps to process the input signal. Have you tried this at all?

6 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Yamaha's session cake webpage says that if you use the 4 pole cable supplied (TRRS) you can use an ios device to record and use effects apps to process the input signal. Have you tried this at all?

ok, didn't think of that, I will give it a try. Oh, presumably a iOS device with a headphone

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

ok, didn't think of that, I will give it a try. Oh, presumably a iOS device with a headphone

Not sure if it is doing something wrong or just the settings on my iPad, but when I plug the red lead in the headphone I just get the sound from the microphones on the iPad, so as a result it doesn't work. Seems like logically it should, and maybe it is my hardware. oh hang on, I have an older iPad, I wonder what it does with that?

Nope, that doesn't work either.

10 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I looked at the pdf manual earlier, but it's rather simplified and doesn't give the information I was after

Good to know about the battery life.

I have recorded several times using my session cake and iphone, with garageband and Focusrite Impact app. So I think it will also work with other apps like amplitude etc. for amp sims and effects.

update: I am using one this btw

7BF2A802-0E53-46A1-ACAF-EFD625D941E7.jpeg

Edited by ordep

• 2 months later...

I’ve got a couple of blue ones coming here so I can have an Xmas jam with my brother on his V drums. 

Can anyone tell me what cables they come with? Otherwise I might need to find a cable to connect them together - is that a 3.5mm stereo jack?

Ok they’ve arrived! Just tried one now and think it’ll be good fun. It’s not the quietest thing in the world but for what it is it’ll be fine. It improved a lot with a compressor before the input. I’m not going to be taking the VB99 with me as the car will be full of child ‘accessories’ but luckily I have a Carl Martin comp limiter which really helps the sound of the cake. 

Cant wait to try it with the Vdrums too!

I guess a jamhub would be a better quality alternative but I’ve been keeping an eye open and haven’t seen any in good nick for less than £250 ish and I simply won’t use it enough to warrant that. 

15 minutes ago, ped said:

I guess a jamhub would be a better quality alternative but I’ve been keeping an eye open and haven’t seen any in good nick for less than £250 ish and I simply won’t use it enough to warrant that. 

I have a jam hub. I really need to sort out what I am doing with it, as I don't think I have used it in years.

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have a jam hub. I really need to sort out what I am doing with it, as I don't think I have used it in years.

I think I spoke to you about it a while back. They look great and I’d have used it a lot when I lived with my brother. We ended up mashing a system together with mixers and headphone multiplier things but it wasn’t exactly neat. 

34 minutes ago, ped said:

I think I spoke to you about it a while back. They look great and I’d have used it a lot when I lived with my brother. We ended up mashing a system together with mixers and headphone multiplier things but it wasn’t exactly neat. 

My plan was that we were going to do quiet practices but then after agreeing to it, the guitarist didn't want to (you would think it would be the drummer wouldn't you? no).